Reader's Ink discussion

Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott > Question 3: Did You Like It?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
How many stars did you give the book? Why?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I gave this book 4 stars. I felt it was better than “I like it”, but it didn’t absolutely knock
my socks off either for 5 stars. I appreciate the opportunity to start reading this type of genre. I find myself being attracted to other types, so broadening my reading experience is very good for me.

message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments I gave it a 3. I enjoyed the book, but found myself getting very angry at Louisa and her need to self destruct her own happincess. The book flowed nicely and had good conversation and kept me reading.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments I liked it more toward the end. I had trouble at first really believing that Louisa would think or act in the way portrayed, particularly with her immediate disdain for Joseph in the shop and at the lake. But I felt myself get really sad and weighed down emotionally when she was having the conversation with Joseph years later, both reminiscing about what never was. I would probably give it a 3 overall.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments I'm with Julie - I felt like that end scene between the two of them was the story Ms. McNees wanted to tell, and it was the most dynamic of the entire book. Overall, I expected more about how this unrequited love shaped Louisa as a writer, and I was disappointed on that front: the young Louisa we met at the beginning wasn't much different than the one at the end.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments I GAVE IT A 4. PROBABLY BECAUSE SO MUCH OF THE OTHER STUFF I HAVE READ THIS SUMMER SUCKED AND I WAS GENEROUS. NO, I REALLY LIKED THE BOOK, BUT IT'S NOT SOMETHING I WOULD REREAD. THAT WOULD BE A 5.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
I gave it a 4. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it didn't blow me away. Like Julie, I found her "immediate disdain" for Joseph very forced--an obvious piece of neccessary plot in order to generate conflict--but there was no real reason for it! Also, occassionally, I was confused by the point of view. Sometimes--jarringly--we were briefly in Bronson's point of view, usually in Louisa's, and then sometimes we just had a clunky omniscient narrator. Overall, though, I felt it was well-written and engrossing, but not AMAZING.