Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's June Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Curse of the Narrows by Laura M. MacDonald (non fiction, tbr pile)
Dec. 6, 1917, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
A munitions ship collided with a vessel in the Narrows of the harbor, triggering an explosion that destroyed much of the city.
2,925 tons of explosives were on the ship, over 2,000 killed, over 6,000 wounded, 9,000 homeless, 242 unidentified bodies and 410 bodies known to be missing.
An interesting read of an event I hadn't known.

Caught by Harlan Corben(mystery)
A string of murders of successful businessmen.
An okay read

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich (humorous mystery series)
A new building is being built for Stephanie's employer. When construction begins, a body is found. Then more bodies keep turning up, a serial killer is on the lose in the city.
Stephanie gets a little too close to the killer.
This book wasn't quite as good as the others.
November 22, 2011, Explosive Eighteen will be released

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments You always seem to find interesting non fiction to read! I'm going to have to pick up some of the NF 'cause you make them sound so inviting!

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I agree on SMOKIN' SEVENTEEN! Steph was a 'ho!!

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Melodie wrote: "I agree on SMOKIN' SEVENTEEN! Steph was a 'ho!!"

lol it was the vordo!

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1270 comments LOL Sherry!!! While I agree this book wasn't as good as the others...I got a kick out of Morelli's grandmother.
Coming from a 2nd generation Italian, who's non Italian mother swears her mother in law's friends gave her the "eye".

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Lorraine: Your NF book does sound intriguing!
Looks like a bang-up followup for Evanovich. Am I right that this is the first year the second book released in the calendar year has been a Plum book?
Brakedrum wrote: "Curse of the Narrows by Laura M. MacDonald (non fiction, tbr pile)
Dec. 6, 1917, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
A munitions ship collided with a vessel in the Narrows of the harbor....November 22, 2011, Explosive Eighteen will be released "

message 7: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments I think so Ann. I didn't enjoy this one as much as the others.