Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix discussion

Things That Really Confused you in this book.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ OK, lets start off with that veiled archway at The Department Of Mysteries. I mean, what was the point of that? You fall in and you die?

Shep I will admit that one confused me a bit too.
But I thought he was hit by Avada Kadavra and then fell in? I dont know...It's been a while since I read this one.

Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ Um.........
GOT IT!
Harry
saw Sirius duck Bellatrix's jet of red light: he was laughing at her.
'Come on, you can do better than that!' he yelled, his voice echoing around the
cavernous room.
The second jet of light hit him squarely on the chest.

Avada Kedavera is a green light

message 4: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ They were fighting in the Death Chamber. Sirius was hit with a curse and he fell into the Veil

Juliet least fav in the series

message 6: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ same...kinda

Fwit Like Arti said
He got hit by Bellatrix's Stunning Spell, and I think behind that veil is Death.
Death or something like it, or else Sirius wouldn't have died xD

Kate Yeah, it was also my least favorite book in the series (but I also love Sirius). While the veil is still a pretty unclear concept to me too, I got the impression it was supposed to represent the veil between the world of the dead, and the world of the living. Earlier in the book, Luna and Harry (I believe) both heard voices, while they were in this room near the veil.

So, no, Sirius didn't die because he fell into this thing, but I think it was a way for JK Rowling to show Sirius's passing.

Fwit whoah.
mind blown.
Sirius didn't fall because he fell through the Veil?
I mean, Lupin didn't exactly let Harry go through the Veil to go after Sirius...

message 10: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Sirius is killed (Belatrix's Avada Kedavra) before he falls into the veil. Rowling isn't great with keeping colors straight. For instance, dragon's blood is green in the 4th and red in the 7th...

message 11: by Fwit (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fwit she...
her spell was avada kedavra?
whaaaaat
i swear it was...
hm....

message 12: by Shep (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shep *confused*

Shahzaib avada kedavra is a spell that instantly kill the person it hits, So sirius is dead before he fells in the veil but the veil makes the body of sirius irretrievable because behind the veil is the world where the souls are of the dead folks are

It was supposed to be confusing, That's why its in department of Department Of Mysteries....dah

message 14: by V C (new) - rated it 5 stars

V C Willow I always though the veil was like the death of Gandalf in LOTR when he defeats the Balrog in the mines of Moria, it is not so much an end but a passing from the veil of this life to the next. As it is a continuous journey to pass through the veil would be to enter the next life and therefore not be able to return. So in OOTP Lupin could not let Harry enter as he would pass forever from this world. It is a commentary of the mystery of existence and death and what comes after this life.

Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ oh................OK any other thing that confused people?

Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ ....MAYBE THAT'S WERE THE MINISTRY EXECUTED PEOPLE WHEN THEY DIDN'T GO TO AZKABAN

message 17: by Fwit (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fwit But I always thought Sirius got hit by a Stunning Spell....
-harry potter 5 has just been complete flipped upside down for me-

message 19: by Julz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julz Rulz Nothing really confused me. I thought everything was pretty much explained.

message 20: by Fwit (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fwit Emma wrote: "Sirius is killed (Belatrix's Avada Kedavra) before he falls into the veil. Rowling isn't great with keeping colors straight. For instance, dragon's blood is green in the 4th and red in the 7th..."

I...
I'm pretty sure, and so is Dondre, that Sirius was hit by a Stunning Spell, and not by an Avada Kedavra.

And about the dragon blood-colors thing, maybe dragon steaks ooze green blood, and the blood has to be pasteurized/purified/treated before it's bottled? lol just a thought.
But I always that that it was the MEAT that was green, and not the blood...

message 21: by V C (new) - rated it 5 stars

V C Willow Dragon meet is definitely green as Hagrid uses it on his face when he's attacked by his giant brother Gawp in HP & TOOTP

message 22: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ HI

message 23: by Fwit (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fwit Emma wrote: "Sirius is killed (Belatrix's Avada Kedavra) before he falls into the veil. Rowling isn't great with keeping colors straight. For instance, dragon's blood is green in the 4th and red in the 7th..."

Vc wrote: "Dragon meet is definitely green as Hagrid uses it on his face when he's attacked by his giant brother Gawp in HP & TOOTP"

Yeah, I thought the MEAT was green, not the BLOOD...

message 24: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ the meat was green

message 25: by Fwit (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fwit fershurfershur
so we've all agreed that the MEAT, and NOT the BLOOD is green?

message 26: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ yes

message 27: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom wow.... this is really confusing

message 28: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ we're arguing if the meat in the movie that Hagrid used was green

message 29: by Fwit (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fwit HAHAHAHA
no
we're actually trying to be sure whether or not Sirius was hit by Avada Kedavra or a stunning spell...
I'm sure it was a Stunning Spell.

Juliet Fwit wrote: "HAHAHAHA
no
we're actually trying to be sure whether or not Sirius was hit by Avada Kedavra or a stunning spell...
I'm sure it was a Stunning Spell."

I have no idea

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

ok behind the veil is death and Harry and Luna had seen death..........ok?So the people they saw die are behind the curtain thats why they heard the voices...............so when Sirius was hit by the curse he was knocked back and death took him.................ok?

Jordan The fifth book confused me ......ALOT! Sometimes i would have to start it and then take a break from that book to think about it. But kinda helped that my dad read these to me when i was younger. THX DAD!

Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ Garrett wrote: "ok behind the veil is death and Harry and Luna had seen death..........ok?So the people they saw die are behind the curtain thats why they heard the voices...............so when Sirius was hit by t..."

OK!!! :D

message 34: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ YOU GUYS SHOULD GO TO HARRY POTTER WIKI

message 35: by Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ (last edited Jul 03, 2011 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ Fo'Shizzle or when Pottermore opens go to that.....so you can run and tell that...homeboy

message 36: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ POTTERMORE!

message 38: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ what! im excited

message 40: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ :)

Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ is their anty thing else that seemed weird?

Jj249 Juliet wrote: least fav in the series

You were reffering to the 5th book... Honestly My least fav is the chamber of secrets... lockhart totally pisses me off. RAWR!!!

message 43: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Dondre wrote: "is their anty thing else that seemed weird?"

i dont think so

Dondre ~what in tha name of everything magical!?!~ I dint like the goblet of fire.....

Fleur was SUPER ANNOYING

Cedric played the hero too much (he's death didn't faze me)

All Harry did was complain

Krum was the only persom i liked

Ludo Bagman was a con artist

Crouch ended up dead (thank goodness,the sleazeball)

Wormtail got his hand cut off to resurrect his master. (WTF)

And worst of all...

VOLDEMORT CAME BACK!

message 45: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom yeah
totally

message 46: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ sure

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, i still confused about Harry Potter's repeated dream. Does Voldemort do it on purpose? I didn't see anything like trap until Harry dreaming about Sirius.

message 48: by V C (new) - rated it 5 stars

V C Willow Voldermort's thoughts are bleeding into Harry's dreams because of the connection they have ( & Potter's complete failure to grasp Occlumency) and then Voldermort traps Harry to coming into the ministry of magic as he is the only one who can retrieve the prophecy.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

So why he's thought walking to the door so much? It's had nothing to do with Harry until he's thinking to trap Harry with including Sirius to the connection.

Megan Baxter Because it is what Voldemort is obsessed with, and so Harry is picking it up through their connection. Harry doesn't only pick up things that have to do with him - he picks up intense emotions from Voldemort at times when he's sleeping.

It isn't until later that Voldemort puts together that Harry is reading his mind, and that he can use that to get what he so sorely desires.

« previous 1 3