Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's June Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments 1. Though Not Dead, Dana Stabenow. Story centers around long-ago stolen Russian icon that once belonged to Kate's tribe. Her recently deceased uncle, Old Sam, figures into the history and the solution to the mystery. (Stabenow continues to be consistent on a high level IMO).

2. Agent X, Noah Boyd. 2nd Steve Vail sports a strong plot with plenty of interesting developments. The reparte' between Vail and Kate is a highlight of the book.

3. Innocent, Scott Turow. Rusty Sabich manages to get charged with murder - again. While not trying to, I guessed a key part of the plot about 100 pages before it is revealed, but this didn't spoil the book because it was just one turn in a winding road.

4. Cold wind, C.J.Box. Joe Picket finds a body hanging from a wind turbine, and the breeze blows close to home. Inter-family relationships play a heavy role in the story.

5. The Third Rail, Michael Harvey. Ex-cop Mike Kelly investigates murders on Chicago's mass transit system that are tied to him somehow.
(Author Harvey is a former CBS reporter and co-creator of TV's Cold Case Files. His use of local Chicago spots and famous Chicago history is solid and especially interesting to me as a Chicago native. A friend gave me this book - the 3rd in the series - so I'm reading OOR. Second book, Fifth Floor, revolves around the Great Chicago Fire as a plot tool and the current mayor among others. First book, The Chicago Way, is next up on my list. I'm recommending these - especially for those with knowledge of Chicago - even though I've only read one and a half of them.

6. Walking Dead, Greg Rucka. Atticus Kodiak continues his relationship with former assasin living in Georgia (former SSR). Lots of action in a linear plot that mixes up the time line with jumps ahead and back.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Good month! One of these days I have pick up a Dana Stabenow book!

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Great month Dan! I think I might try #4 and #5 ;)

message 4: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Good month, Dan

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Good month! The Michael Harvey books look interesting. I also enjoyed Innocent when I read it.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14620 comments Very good month Dan! I also really enjoyed the latest Kate Shugak book, Though Not Dead; it was a stellar entry in the series! You do need to try Stabenow, Melodie!! The Greg Rucka was pretty good too. I am intrigue by the Michel Harvey books, good to know they provide accurate details about Chicago.