fiction files redux discussion

Etymology and Language > The Serial Comma

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Elizabeth (RedBrick) | 221 comments Mod
Please don't forget a loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter.

Serial Comma Article

message 2: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
i love the serial comma. this article does a good job of explaining the clarity it can bring to writing. :)
i know why people moved toward open punctuation (limited space), and so forth, but sometimes i can't read things properly if they're not festooned with serial commas. :)

message 3: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

mmmm....festooned. Eureka, Maureen! This isn't about the serial comma... But I have been looking for a word that describes why I love and hate little tiny hats on clips. Your head just looks festooned.

message 4: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
very happy to help out, elizabeth. i just love five-dollar words. and ten-dollar ones, too. the other day i thought about revisiting the etymology thread just so i could wax poetic about the word "stultified". :)

but also: "why i love and hate little tiny hats on clips". i don't actually know what this means. do you mean those 1920s dealies? or like that god-awful maple-leaf thingie that princess kate wore while she was here on her royal visit to canada? (i don't know what kind of hats she's wearing there. :)

message 5: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Yes, the maple leaf! Ha ha! So festooney. She's not alone...

Nightcaps

message 6: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Maureen wrote: "very happy to help out, elizabeth. i just love five-dollar words. and ten-dollar ones, too. the other day i thought about revisiting the etymology thread just so i could wax poetic about the word "stultified"..."

I got so distracted trying to find that video about the little hats that I forgot to ask...

Did you use stultified in recent conversation? I can imagine that this word could be used for a blue ribbon backhanded compliment, but it's not my style to deliver them.

message 7: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
I had to think about it a minute, but I ALWAYS use the Serial Comma in my own writing. LONG LIVE THE SERIAL COMMA!