Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > Tip#19 Language Peeves

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haley (new)

Haley | 46 comments Remember the different spelling of the there's: there, their, they're. :)

message 2: by Haley (new)

Haley | 46 comments I know! It annoys me too!

message 3: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Does this count?

NEVER use the word "grope".
adkghdnhaklhgn.

It doesn't even matter what you're talking about. When I was reading Hardy Boys, it was always, "Joe groped in the dark for a light switch," and I'm just like, "I can't."

That's a language peeve of mine. I just hate reading that word, so I always just tell people to avoid it altogehter. XD

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Jul 17, 2011 02:43AM) (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments I read through my work the other day and found I had used the word 'just' about 10 times on a single page, I had to go back through the whole thing and take them out wherever possible as they we just superflous to the story. The word 'that' is one that creeps in an awful lot too!

Whole and hole. Pole and poll, there are millions of the little buggers ready to trip you up, late at night when you really should be tucked up in bed but feel you must finish the chapter first!

message 5: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Murphey (JLMurphey) | 27 comments Filler words "that," "which"and over use of "ing" and "ly" in stories. The English language has over 500,000 words, choose a better one. If a sentence can stand alone without a filler word leave it out.