Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World discussion

Inception

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

EDantes I just saw the movie "Inception". Did that movie remind anybody else of "Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Murakami?

message 2: by christokristo (last edited Jul 03, 2011 04:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

christokristo I think in writing Hard-Boiled, Murakami was heavily influenced by Philip. K. Dick. So PKD is actually influences Christopher Nolan, and if you read The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, you find it very similar to Inception. I found this in someone's blog:

message 3: by Patrick (last edited Nov 29, 2013 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patrick Barrett It's hard not to see the connection. Add the fact that the guy they rescue in the film is Japanese, and I think it's an obvious nod. It's too bad the film couldn't contain any of the deeper elements of the book that really probe the nature of consciousness as it relates to semiotics and narratology, but that's Hollywood for you. It is even harder not to compare both works to PKD and Joe Haldeman's All My Sins Remembered, but I really love how Murakami takes these ideas and fleshes them out in his characters while using a writing style that is as much poetry as prose. I've just started reading Murakami, so I can't wait to see what else he has in store for me.