Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Just for Fun > Do books affect you differently if you read them at different points in your life?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerra (new)

Kerra | 127 comments Hi everyone :) I was just wondering if books affect you differently if you read them at different points in your life. I just finished this great book Motherless Soul by Steve Lindahl and I think it really affected me alot because of things I have been thinking about and going through while reading this book. And I think if I would have read it a long time ago or a ways in the future it wouldn't have affected me this way. Does that happen to any of you or have you noticed that when re-reading a book? Just food for thought and any responses would be greatly appriciated! Thanks :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I grew up reading nothing but horror and thrillers bc I think my Dad taking me to see action, horror, thrillers influenced my reading style. I now read almost nothing but romance. I wonder if my mom or sister had taken an interest in my love of reading would I have read romance at a younger age. Maybe not the answer you r looking for but also another thought. Re reading books I really loved as a teen. I can sort of think..hmmm...what the heck sort of moods was I in to read this? Hehe.

message 3: by Kerra (new)

Kerra | 127 comments Hehe yeah, I think the same thing when I go back and read an old version of the Baby Sitters Club books :) That is a perfectly fine answer. I also enjoy reading horror/thrillers...being Stephen King is my favorite author :D Thanks for pointing that out because I think my dad also influenced my reading style by the movies he made me watch when I was younger lol. He had me watching Chucky at 5. However, I still enjoy those types of books, but I also enjoy a little mix of everything and mysteries are my favorite now.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

message 4: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 411 comments I read Jessi's Secret Language. Still a WONDERFUL HEARTWARMING series! Would read it with my neice when she gets older.

message 5: by Kerra (new)

Kerra | 127 comments Awe :) That sounds great! I will have to check that book out, I love books like that :)

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) it's an amazing phenomenon. i'm 58, so i've gone back and re-read quite a few books. age and experience does have meaning to your understanding. i remember the scientists saying that the human brain doesn't change or grow - HA! of course, now they have changed that viewpoint, but i already knew the brain changes as long as you are alive. the sad part of these kind of brain changes though is loving a good book in your 20's, only to discover in your 50's it's sappy.

message 7: by RB (new)

RB (rblindberg) April wrote: "it's an amazing phenomenon. i'm 58, so i've gone back and re-read quite a few books. age and experience does have meaning to your understanding. i remember the scientists saying that the human b..."

I completely agree.