Good YA Series discussion

Hush, Hush > Comments on Prologue and Chapters of Hush, Hush

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (last edited Jul 03, 2011 12:35AM) (new)

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Prologue

....GOD SPARED NOT THE ANGELS THAT SINNED, BUT CAST THEM DOWN TO HELL, AND DELIVEED THEM INTO CHAINS OF DARKNESS, TO BE RESERVED UNTO JUDGEMENT....
- 2 PETER 2:4

What an eerie introduction before the prologue to the book. Having previously speed-read the book made me wonder; Is the author being reserved by taking us back to the roots of biblical recollection attempting to let the readers know soon all will be judged?

Just a passing thought…

message 2: by Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (last edited Jul 02, 2011 11:39AM) (new)

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Prologue

Okay… What did Chauncey expect to find in a cemetery in the middle of a brewing storm anyway?

(view spoiler)

On a scale of 1-10, I would call them both lunatics… However, I know that is not the point...

message 3: by Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (last edited Jul 02, 2011 11:41AM) (new)

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 1

Where was this teacher when I was in High School Human Biology? I am sure sex education would have been much more exciting then…

And is it just me or does Coach McConaughy remind you of Matthew McConaughy if he were a High School teacher and not just who he is???

message 4: by Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (last edited Jul 02, 2011 11:42AM) (new)

If Nora is so worried about failing, why not speak up. I just do not get that on any level; albeit high school or elementary...

Speaking of elementary what is with the grade school flirting or should I say sleuthing?

message 5: by Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (last edited Jul 02, 2011 11:42AM) (new)

Here is what I just do not get about Nora so far;

(view spoiler)

I was beginning to wonder how this made it to my purchase list. Then it hit me… Patch!!! Gosh, I think I love his bad boy attitude and the way he gets his sleuth on.

message 6: by Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (last edited Jul 02, 2011 11:44AM) (new)

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 2

I guess it does not matter what age you are; if a person wants to draw your attention, they seem to think being coy and allusive are the way to go. Yet, Patch (view spoiler)

I would have done the same at 17… I just do not think I would have been to satisfy a school requirement… It would have been more along the lines of hump… Wanting him to chase after and catch me. Yum! That could be delicious.

Just some PATCH food for thought….

It seems Nora had a similar passing thought after all (view spoiler) Hum…

message 7: by Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (last edited Jul 02, 2011 11:44AM) (new)

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 2

Well it seems that Patch was surprised to speak the least that Nora not only (view spoiler) It seems to me it was something he was not expecting from Nora; but took delight in it anyway.

How yummy is it that Patch has the confidence to 'sleuth' Nora in a way that just make you burst with a LOL and wish that Nora would stop diluting her feelings and dish it right back at Patch.

Guess that come with age and practice….

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 3

Maybe I need someone to explain it to me but, did I miss something? I just do not get why Nora found the location of Patches (view spoiler) (see chapter 2)

Why would Nora assume it was (view spoiler)
She had said in chapter 2 that a (view spoiler) and did not want to admit to Patch in chapter 1 that she has indeed been seeing a (view spoiler) before Patch made his presence known to her.

I know Nora is in high School but come on…. Not all females are complete idiots without any reasoning skills...

Okay, so I need more explaining again… Nora finds Patch (view spoiler) in the same thought. Just how stupid is Nora anyway? It was firmly established; that there was no way for Patch to be the (view spoiler) she has felt since her father (view spoiler)
It seems to me that she is just coming up with an excuse to keep herself from falling for Patch. There has to be a reason because if she is this dumb…How does the author explain her path for major University.

Post Script-
I do not mean to hate on Nora… Just wondering why all female leads seem to be so dang stupid...Just because she is a teenage does not mean she cannot be a strong lead.

OMG! Where was this sleuthing Biology Class when I was in High School?

I get that Nora is embarrassed by Patches obvious come-owns. The fact that she is wondering wither he was just out to make a fool of her or into her was a dead give a way. Part of me just wanted Nora to buck up and grow a pair a give back just as much as Patch gave. Patches witty charms is enough to make any girl swoon. Not to mention that he was bold enough to come on to Nora in the middle of class. Talk about not being afraid of rejection or self absorbed, either way how yummy is Patch while tempting Nora in class?

If memory serves me correctly, historic temptations have mixed endings of good and bad. Eve tempted Adam that did not end well for woman in general. Lucifer, who tempted Jesus, thanks to God that ended well for all our sakes.
Now we have Patch tempting Nora. It is obvious that Patch is one of the Devils broad that from the Prologue. Question is now that times have changed does is Patch seeking an oath of fealty from Nora or does he truly want Nora?

The fact that Patch has mouthed ‘Vulnerable’ to Nora has me questioning his true motives for his sly and utterly, come-hither come owns.

Okay so Nora did finally get her chops up to speak to Coach. However, it was not about Vee or her self-failing per say. Nora was out of her comfort Zone. So she has a master plan of debating the school code with Coach after class.
What is the funniest…is that she offers to tutor any student so (view spoiler) and coach sticks her with tutoring (view spoiler)

Just what spicy banter will Patch throw at Nora in the weeks to come?

message 12: by Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (last edited Jul 02, 2011 11:16PM) (new)

At first when I started reading about Nora and Vee’s trip to the movie‘s about (view spoiler) I thought book filler. Then I remembered the Prologue.
I think Nora is Nehalem and Patch is seeking an oath from her for sure.

Ooh! I love it! Nora has admitted (view spoiler) like no one has ever before.

Marcie Miller- Why waste a page just to remind all women young and old of their own MM they had to deal with?

If you haven’t met your own MM , sorry to be the one to break it to you … You are a MM.

She must have something to do with the plot later on. Why else would BF bother to fill a page with MM. Even if only to make the character more agreeable to real life, I just do not see a need unless MM turns out to be a great friend o foe to Nora.

I love Vee. She just cracks me up. After noticing (view spoiler) her comments on his possible (view spoiler) had me in stitches.

With Vee as a fiend it will not be long before Nora finds herself succumbed to Patches desire be it an oath or lover…only reading will reveal.

However, I am thinking lover is a bit strong considering this is a YA read and I don’t even remember how old Nora is supposed to be so, girlfriend with passionate kissing will have to do for now.

For Nora not to have known Patches name in Chapter 1 and still does not know his last name. How is it she can make a list of the top 10 or 100 places she would find Patch and the (view spoiler) would not have made it.

Hum…..Nora must know more about Patch than she letting on. Must be the whole secrete crush thing we all have suffered at one time or another.

I am with Nora, I would have freaked out at 17(?) if I had(view spoiler) I just do not think my first reaction would have been to try to (view spoiler) However, when the person I had just (view spoiler) I too would have bolted…

Moreover, the eerie part was the fact that she had some kind of sixth sense reaction before it happened. The lights were flickering with the prickly feeling up the back of her neck and the hairs on her arm tingling.

?Question?
Who is this person?
It is obvious with deductive reasoning skills that this person is a would be a nemesis’ of Patches…I just do not see what it has to do with Nora as of yet. On the other hand, it could just be Patch with the whole oath thing. After all, now days it is harder to scare kids with all the violence they see on TV and video game. It could be part of his master plan to get he to swear an oath to the devil.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 4

Could the “devils broad” be at work on Nora’s mind? It might make it easier for him to get his ‘Oath of fealty’. What else could explain the reason for Nora only being able to recall the (view spoiler) Why else mess with her mind, unless Patch is trying to use fear to draw Nora closer to him. And, I can see how that well that will work out… Not!

Enter Elliot Saunders and Jules. I think I may be rethinking the whole Patch as the devils broad. It just seems strange that Nora and Vee would meet these two right after Nora’s accident that may or may not have happened the night before. Then to add insult to injury ES is a new transfer student and this Jules (no last name given) is not going to a different school and as it seem he fits the description for devils broad in the Prologue. It also appears that ES seems to be into Nora at first sight, while Vee is into tall, dark and handsome Jules. Hum…Hum, I smell plot twist development and the possibility of dates, well at least where Nora is concerned to the spring fling. I just do not think Jules is into Vee. The dead giveaway was the moving his chair away from the gold digger syndrome Vee was displaying. It should be an interesting year. However, they could just be regular guys and ES honestly into Nora at first sight. You know the raging hormones of teenage boys.

What is great is Nora gathered the courage to ask Patch if he was (view spoiler) Due to Patch’s witty greeting and comments to he during the short exchange, she is even more convinced in the (view spoiler) However, Patches concern for Nora’s well being no matter how brief leads me to think it is not him. Especially considering Nora asked him to speak with Coach about moving them. His reaction to me was – (view spoiler)
That makes me wonder about Vee… First, Jules shows his disdain for her (her fault for being money hungry). Second, now Patch has shown his disdain for he (why I have no clue, after all it is Vee who is pushing Nora toward Patch). Albeit wither it is to get an oath of fealty (if Patch is the devils fallen broad) or just get into Nora’s pants, he is up to something. Moreover, in chapter 1, Patch knew more about Nora it seemed. A guy does not take the time to notice the type of music you listen to, collect articles you have written or know what type of instruments you play if he is not into you. Case in point I think Patch has it bad for Nora big time. Therefore, as for wanting a new seating chat and new partners, I am with Patch I think I like him next to her.

The only thing left for Nora to do now is her own sleuthing. In addition, with Nora’s prescription a plan cooked up by Vee, We are bound to get some yummy information on Mr. Patch Cipriano…

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 5

Nora said it (view spoiler) This could be one of the reasons Nora would go along with Vee’s plan to snoop through Patch’s (view spoiler) The other could be because she does not want to admit to herself that she is into Patch. (Heck, at this point who is not into Patch?) Her iron pills in hand Nora is off to the school nurse to register her prescription, well… (view spoiler) Without giving the readers any details as to what is in (view spoiler) she is off to meet Vee at the Mexican restaurant on the corner of Drake and Beech.

Hum… Corner of Drake and Beech… Beech as in the street where Nora had her little hit and run that was not a hit and run that continued this whole stocking mess to begin with. It does bring suspicion back to Patch but he is just a little too hot and spicy to truly be the bad guy, Right?

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 5

Instead of me focusing on the fact that the accident (that was not an accident) that occurred on Beech Street, I should have focused on the fact that it was a Mexican Restaurant Nora was meeting Vee at. Nora found herself checking out a bus boy only to discover the hot bus boy (view spoiler) That leads to… yes you know it, Patch’s come-hither witty charms (I have come to enjoy). That thanks to the author (BF) Nora has somewhat admitted (view spoiler) Of course this only truly happens after (view spoiler) Nora being Nora (stubborn… but it is good to make a guy work for it!) (view spoiler) How lame is that?

However, during the exchange that seems to be moving thing along between Patch and Nora. (view spoiler) Granted it was with his finger but (view spoiler)

Which brings me to my new point. Patch has to be the ‘devils broad’ from the Prologue, Right? I mean come on he is out right looking at Nora in some type of astonishment because Nora asks, (view spoiler)

Just a thought…
Nora could be the very one that changes everything for Patch. No more gathering sworn oaths of fealty for the devil for Patch. He just might be in love with Nora. It just feels right. Don’t it?

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 6

My first thought was this is not right, it must be (view spoiler) After all he did not have (view spoiler) However, Elliot explained that in his private school he was not required (view spoiler) I suppose that takes Elliot off the devils brood list along with the fact that the devils brood has dark hair and the skin of a Spaniards. Duh, I guess I am grasping at anyone to be the devils brood, other than Patch.

How great it was when Marcia Miller made yet another appearance. She was put in her proper place and it was not where she assumed it should be. MM has just too much attitude for me so, I was gleeful when she got her just rewards from Elliot when (view spoiler) Oh and to just to get the point across wither to Nora (or to my satisfaction MM), Elliot (view spoiler) That is not even the best part, (view spoiler)

Get this Patch is the devils brood with no doubt… (view spoiler) NO JOKE! (view spoiler) I thought to begin with it was just her imagination until (view spoiler) This time I think it was out of jealousy. After all, he (view spoiler) With the evidence thus far I am betting that patch is the devils brood.

I guess I am a romantic and Patch girl at heart- Already. Thinking Nora can redeem Patch or showing him the way. Elliot (view spoiler) Why? Because Vee would mad if she no.
Nora needs to do what Nora wants to do, not what Vee wants her to do. For that fact, I thought Vee was on the Patch train, well before the stalking issue that may or may not be an issue. Who knows?

Another thing I just don’t get is why Elliot would invite Vee along. I know that Jules is planning on attending. Yet, that still make no sense. Jules has shown his disdain for Vee. Albeit it was well deserved distained, because she was acting like money hungry ho… but still. It make no logical sense, so what is up with that?
Furthermore what is the point with Jules?
What purpose does he serve?

I mean other than to keep me ranting on and on…

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 7

It seems we can get to the heat of what Nora thinks about Patch and Elliot while she is talking to her housekeeper/ caretaker Dorothea. Dorothea relates a story of when she was young and had to choose between two boys- one wicked and the other her Henry. Nora lost in self thought admits having two guys lurking on the fringe, circling from afar, but didn’t know either very well and one out right frightens her. However, come on, who doesn’t like a little bad guy mixed in with their lover boy, right?

Taking in to consideration that Vee has spilled polish on her parent’s sofa and wants to get out before they get home Nora considers telling Vee the plans she made with Elliot. Once the choice was made to tell Vee there was no turning back.

Therefore, Nora and Vee are off to Delphic Seaport to meet up with Elliot and Jules, Nora decided to go make-up free. As suggested by Patch at Borderline Mexican Restaurant and not seeing him was the perfect time to try Patch’s suggestion. However, once they reach the arcade in the park (view spoiler)
Okay, I get it Vee is a gold digger but, what is Jules problem?
Can he not take one for the team?
His best friend likes Nora he could try to get at least to get along with Vee, heck even pretend to get along would help. Then again, Vee seems to like to play drama games with people’s emotions.

Speaking of playing with peoples emotions, a true Drama Queen if ever I seen one, (view spoiler) Why? Just so Elliot can play hero. (Wake up Vee Elliot is already on a date with Nora. All she is going to do is push Nora to Patch.)
Case in point (view spoiler)

But Oh… ho, ho…. Can we say it together ----‘Patch is so jealous of Elliot’. (view spoiler) (So… I have to continue to say, Nora is it for Patch. The woman he loves that will cause him to change his ways). Nora with her guard down punches Patch and Patch says (view spoiler) Nora admits to (herself anyway) that she is. In a last ditch effort with sly confidence Patch says (view spoiler)

Things can only get better from here!!!

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Chapter 8

When Vee first spoke up, I thought she was funny. Then her money hungry side emerged when she met Jules. Now Miss Drama Queen is at it again…You know it is cool if you want drama in your life but keep your friends out of it before you find yourself friendless.

Oh, I almost forgot. Someone please I beg you (BF) buy Vee a clue!

It could be just a coincidence someone who happened to disappeared in the darkness when Nora thought someone was watching her… But then again it would not have happened had she stayed and waited for her date to return.

Miss Nora has a little bad girl in herself, ditching her date with Elliot for Patch… And hey Patch did not have to embarrass her by beating her at pool…. Everyone welcome Nora to the players club. Heehee! Yum!

I just do not get it. Patch seems so concerned for Nora. Then he goes and says (view spoiler) No wonder Nora wonders if she is going crazy, I would too.

Talk about the high price of being a player girl.

message 33: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rachaelt) | 11 comments Lissa wrote: "Chapter 1

If Nora is so worried about failing, why not speak up. I just do not get that on any level; albeit high school or elementary...

Speaking of elementary what is with the grade school..."

It is the whole high school thing. Barely anyone "speaks up" in classes regardless if they care or not. Peer pressure maybe? I'm not sure. But that is how it is at my high school at least.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Diane wrote: " Lissa wrote: "Chapter 3

At first when I started reading about Nora and Vee’s trip to the movie‘s about a girl being raised to be sacrificed I thought book filler. Then I remembered the Prolog..."

I glad I am not the only one that over analyzes YA books. (LOL) But I can’t believe I missed that. You are on your game. How far have you gotten into the book. I love the challenging banter.

Oh! I got your email and I answered.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Diane wrote: "...I’ll be online around 10 am tomorrow if your available we can chat about what we have read...."

I will try to make it. I might be a few late. Everyooe else feel free to join us.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) I see you on line. I have about 45 minutes free. Do you want to start where you finished up last night?

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Your forgetting Jules had already ditched Vee.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Why curse Elliot like that. What has he done as of yet?

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) We are being mean about Vee. Some girls just can not help themselves. After all she was written that way. What did you think of Nora and Patches first date, if you can call it that?

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) What was up that?. Seems Patch killed the phone for some alone time then, bam! Talk about a cold shower. Nothing say ice cold shower like your mom calling.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) I am going with tot hot to handle business. After all if he was looking to kill Nora or the Oath thing… the timing could not have been better. No witnesses. As well as number three. Have to keep it in line for the kitties. They are Jaded enough already.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) What about it? Patch is just trying to goat her.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) No, the one watching has bee around since her dad died. I think it has something to do with the fact that Patch can speak to her mind. The mind is where you dream. I think he might have planed on getting in her dreams or has been in her dreams. He does it while she is wide awake.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) You dirty, dirty girl, they are more teens on this site than adults. You need to watch it. Nix the erotic, it’s not goanna happen. Not in a YA book anyhow.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) I don’t think its Patch behind it anymore. If it was Patch he would had did something to her the night before alone with no witness.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Could be random mugging but why bother with the page filler. I haven’t read past chapter 10. So I have no clue. I just don’t think its Patch based on being alone with her in her house. He wasn’t interested in killing her then.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) Who could be pissed enough to attack her? Vee was the one pissed for her ditching her last night and she was the one attacked. So it couldn’t have been Vee.

Lissa Smith Reads'~A Bookaholics Bookshelf (lissasmithreads) That’s a thought! Last we read of him was Nora ditching, the Vee telling Nora he spent hours looking for him. Then today, nothing. Is that suspect number one or two, including Patch?

« previous 1