Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > July 2012 Read: The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Comments Showing 1-50 of 237 (237 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by Howard Phillips Lovecraft is our winner for our July group read.

I'm personally glad this won for one main reason. I read it after having my hernia operated on back in January, and so therefore don't remember much of it. The pain meds they gave me were so damn good. They were so good I still dream about them....ahhh...

Anyway, let's discuss!

message 2: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) My copy arrived today. Didn't realize it was such a short book. Should be a quick read. :)

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I'm going to start reading this tonight. Or tomorrow night.

message 4: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I will start it today or tomorrow. I got this at the used bookstore and am super excited to read it. It is my first Lovecraft book.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Eisenberg Phenomenal story!! It might be short but I believe it's Lovecraft's longest piece of fiction. Don't let the length deceive you either, it's actually quite deep and definitely calls for a careful reading.

I read it for my first time about 4 months and absolutely loved it! Enjoy people.

best
Michael

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Your first Lovecraft, Jennbunny? It will be interesting to see what you think of it. People either love or hate Lovecraft.

message 7: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Yep....my first one! I love the cover of mine!

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen My first Lovercraft, too.. I've started this months read, finished first chapter. I'm not sure yet, but I'm keeping an open mind.

message 9: by Benjamin (last edited Jun 30, 2011 03:56PM) (new)

Benjamin (ben21) Lovecraft is awesome. My favorite author. My avatar is one of lovecrafts favorite paintings.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments I'll join the gals....my first Lovecraft also. A buddy of mine said you kinda have to acquire a taste for him. I'm like six chapters in, he makes ya use yer little brain! :)

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Lee wrote: "I'll join the gals....my first Lovecraft also. A buddy of mine said you kinda have to acquire a taste for him. I'm like six chapters in, he makes ya use yer little brain! :)"

This is very true. You indeed need to first, get used to his writing, and second acquire a taste for him. For me, it's more about content than his writing style.

message 12: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) holy crap, how many pages is he gonna dedicate to Charles' walking around? I have found myself wondering if there is a point. so this book obviously starts out slower than a turtle in a crisper drawer of a fridge.

message 13: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Glad you are joining us Lee!

message 14: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Nora wrote: "My copy arrived today. Didn't realize it was such a short book. Should be a quick read. :)"

Well I was wrong, not a quick read becasue I keep putting it down in order to do other things. I am not giving up yet, though. I am sure it has to get better.

message 15: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 165 comments I'll have to dust of my Lovecraft anthology that has it soon. ;)

message 16: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Finished it tonight. Second time I read it and I still think it's fantastic. It does start out a little slow and Lovecraft can be wordy but bear with it. The second half really picks up.

I think a lot of his material falls into more of a Twilight Zone - SciFi kind of genre but the one we're reading this month is solid horror IMO.

message 17: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) A good story but very long and textually dense making it not the best place to start for those uninitiated with Lovecraft.

message 18: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments It would be my first Lovecraft, too, but based on the comments not sure if I'm gonna jump in.

message 19: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Gatorman wrote: "It would be my first Lovecraft, too, but based on the comments not sure if I'm gonna jump in."

well, everyone has different tastes, maybe you'd like it?

message 20: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments I went ahead and downloaded it on my Nook. Looked at the first few pages and it does seem kinda dry but I will give it a shot.

message 21: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments I started it last night....I think I am about 15 pages in.

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments It has a very literary feel to the beginning, where you have to learn Ward's life in order to understand the end. It is pretty dry, but it's also the kind of dry I don't mind. It does speak of insanity and occultism, so it's not that dry. LOL

message 23: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Yep I do not think it is dry....I like it so far.

message 24: by Yolo (new)

Yolo Yearwood (mirandaelizeabethyearwood) | 46 comments wow, it's my first Lovecraft too!! how exciting, all these Lovecraftian virgins :)

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Yay! Maybe we have some new Lovecraft converts?

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments As I mentioned in my intro to this group read, this is my second time through this story. I have to say that I am enjoying it so much better this time!

message 27: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 165 comments The term "Lovecraft Virgin" should be trademarked. ;)

message 28: by Scott (last edited Jul 01, 2011 07:12PM) (new)

Scott THEY SHALL BE SACRIFICED TO THE ELDER GODS

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments LMAO

message 30: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Jason wrote: "It is pretty dry, but it's also the kind of dry I don't mind. It does speak of insanity and occultism, so it's not that dry. LOL "

I am suprised to find that someone could manage to make such topics rather tedious. I am on page 44, still hopeful it will get better.

message 31: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Scott wrote: "THEY SHALL BE SACRIFICED TO THE ELDER GODS"

Oh good, I have always wanted to be sacrificed.
Tuesday works for me.

message 32: by Amanda (last edited Jul 01, 2011 10:44PM) (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Lol, well I guess that'd make sense as dues in a Horror Group :)

Horror Bookworm Reviews Have been a Lovecraft fan for a long time. I downloaded it last night and have started it. I hope the new Lovecraft readers get hooked. It will probably be a different kind of read that people are not used to.

message 34: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Anyone else bothered by the glaring spelling errors?

message 35: by Scott (new)

Scott Are you reading an e-book?

message 36: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments So far....my book doesn't have any errors that I see.

message 37: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Not an e-book, reading a regular book. the top two that stick out to me are
page 42 ten or son of the most...
page 54 S second flaming thing..

message 38: by Jason (last edited Jul 03, 2011 12:39PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments He did spell things in a more of an old British style. Like shewed instead of showed, colour instead of color, etc. Anything else is probably an editorial mistake, considering how often these stories have been published.

Horror Bookworm Reviews Hi Jason. I think I have figured out why Lovecraft gives me chills and no other author can. He is almost like reading a newspaper story. It seems like it's true. Just like when the towns people gather to the farm house in this book. Lovecraft tells the scene from the eyewitness point of view, the distant neighbors that sees and hears vague disturbing images and sounds.
It's almost like the old gritty horror movies that have a documentary feel for them, they seem almost real and disturbing. Or even the new onslaught films of the handheld camera. They too have a creepy realism. So does Lovecraft.

message 40: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I totally agree, Mike. Lovecraft was a genius at creating these types of scenes. A lot of his stories read like a report or an article, and so it becomes even more easy to suspend your disbelief and get the creeps!

message 41: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Oh yeah....that is what it seems like....more news article written. As I was reading, I was thinking this seems so real like....almost like a true story.

message 42: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Indeed! That's one reason why I like Lovecraft so much. He can pull me into his story and make me believe for a time. He didn't do this with all stories, but when he got it right, he killed it!

message 43: by Nora aka Diva (last edited Jul 04, 2011 10:10AM) (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Jason wrote: "He did spell things in a more of an old British style. Like shewed instead of showed, colour instead of color, etc. Anything else is probably an editorial mistake, considering how often these stori..."

The British spellings I don't consider spelling errors just different ways of spelling. I don't care if it's an editorial error it's still annoying. Obviously they didn't pay close enough attention.

As for the story itself, I find it rather boring and tedious. I just don't find it an engaging story.
I gave it zero stars.

message 44: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Reading my "printed copy" of Lovecraft....in the bright sunlight, so I don't get skeered! :)

I agree with it's "like reading a news article"....and your they're as a witness.

message 45: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments thoroughly bronzed :)

message 46: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments Wow what a tan! I do NOT tan....I slather on sunblock (spf 100 if I can get it). I am a sun freak!

message 47: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments All you need is a nice cold iced tea! :)

message 48: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Looking cool, Lee!

message 49: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 4052 comments Wow, you're in great shape, Lee! Ooh, baby! *whistles*

I started the book today after the fun of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Good change of mood.

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments OK lee we know you are flexing hard in that pic when you relax everything goes south.

Looking good Louis feeling good....

« previous 1 3 4 5