Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

General Books Discussion > BEST Book of All Time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie (bookshelfblogger) So there is a thread on here that is the WORST book of all time...What is the best book of all time? What is a book that you could reread over and over again and still feel the same emotions that it gave you when you first read it?
I'd definitely have to say Harry Potter, Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, and the Evernight series are fabulous!! :)

message 2: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Okay, well the best book of all time is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows of course. But a book I can read over & over is Oh. My Gods! Kindgom Keepers, Wings, The Winnie Series, & a whole bunch more. Including Harry Potter.

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I agree with Katie on Harry Potter and Pride and Prejudice being ones I can read over and over again. I could also reread Tamora Pierce's Tortall adventures, Walk Two Moons, and The Book Thief a million times.

BUT the best book of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo.

message 5: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
We should clarify by saying this is not your personal favorite book of all time, but one you think the majority of people would love.

I am going to say The Book Thief is honestly one of the best books of all time. Its a great plot, fantastic writing, and anybody would be able to read (and love) it.

For those who have a darker taste, Dracula would also have to be right up there.

message 6: by ★ Jess (new)

Oh, you know what we should do?
Make a list 'Top Ten Books of All Time'. We each suggest books and choose the top 10 most popular :)

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Jess: go to the mods group, I have an idea. :)

message 8: by ★ Jess (new)

Headin' on over.

message 9: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Hold on. Still working on the post. Distracted. :P

message 10: by ★ Jess (new)

I responded! Go go go!

message 11: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I see that! :)

message 12: by Nolan (new)

Nolan Keebler (mcminus) everlost, everwild, and everfound AKA: the skinjacker series. i love how it's so serious and funny at the same time

message 13: by ★ Jess (new)

Love them :)

message 14: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I'm going to agree with The Book Thief.
It was marvelous.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Books that i can reread and they gave me the same feelings like i first read it it would be, endless summer, hush hush, crescendo, shadow fever, the boyfriend league, and truth about forever

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (bookshelfblogger) I completely forgot about The Book Thief!!! My goodness!!! That book is purely AMAZING!!

Has anyone read Between Shades of Gray?? It's fairly new. I am planning on reading it soon! I've heard lots of great things about it! :D

message 17: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments No, buy I have it.

I really want to read The book Thief!!

message 18: by James (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 43 comments I find The Hunger Games series are the best books I've have ever read.

message 19: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid They were very good, except I think Mockinjay had some issues with writing and was a bit confusing.
Very good, but not the absolute BEST.

message 20: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments That spot is reserved for Pride and Prejudice and Harry Potter

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie (bookshelfblogger) You know, it may be awful to admit this, but I have never read The Hunger Games...but I hear SOOOO much rave about them. Should I read it before the school year? Any thoughts?

message 22: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments It's not awful to admit. I recommend them though, they're pretty good books. And we tend to talk about them. A lot. :)

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie (bookshelfblogger) I may have to stop by Borders and buy them (just found a gift card!!)
Thanks! I love recommendations!! :)

message 24: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Oooooh, found a gift card?! That is awesome. :)
And I love giving recommendations. Any time you need them. :P

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (bookshelfblogger) My mom and brother read that book and really liked it!

message 26: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments That one is DEFINITELY on my list, I think they even have it at my library.

message 27: by ★ Jess (new)

Oh, I like that book too :)
Books #2 & 3 in the series are the best. The Necromancer was average, The Walock (so far) is crap.

message 28: by Adesewa (new)

Adesewa | 3 comments ★ Jessica ★ wrote: "Oh, I like that book too :)
Books #2 & 3 in the series are the best. The Necromancer was average, The Walock (so far) is crap."

WHAT DO YOU MEAN.All the books are AWSOME.There is nothing wrong with the necromancer or the warlock.ABSOULUTLY NOTHING.:)

message 29: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Everybody has different opinions. :)

message 30: by Dean (last edited Jul 06, 2011 06:06PM) (new)

Dean (thishufflepuffreads) The Harry Potter series,specifically The Order of the Phoenix(there's always this dark feel about it) and The Scarlet Pimpernel.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie (bookshelfblogger) Devina wrote: "The Harry Potter series,specifically The Order of the Phoenix(there's always this dark feel about it) and The Scarlet Pimpernel."
I have never heard of The Scarlet Pimpernel! I should look it up! :)

message 32: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Katie, The Scarlet Pimpernel is EXCELLENT. I think I listed it for my best books. *checks* GASP. I didn't! It should be there! It's truly wonderful.

I agree completely, Devina.

message 33: by ★ Jess (new)

Adesewa wrote: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN.All the books are AWSOME.There is nothing wrong with the necromancer or the warlock.ABSOULUTLY NOTHING.:) "

haha, we all have different opinions :) Im almost done, so i'll link you a review if you want. Ive got a looong page of criticisms...

message 34: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I love being 'nit-picky' about every single detail. It's so much fun! Although I mostly do it with book-movie adaptations......

message 35: by Swiftfire (new)

Swiftfire | 72 comments Oh gosh. This is a hard question. I don't have a favorite book, just like I don't have a favorite song or color or... smell. o_o There are just too many good ones out there, and I haven't read anywhere near enough to make a good decision. Harry Potter and The Book Thief must be mentioned, of course. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorites, too. (I'm a sucker for classics.)

message 36: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Yeah, HP and the Deathly Hallows part 1 was an extremely good adaptation, but when my best friend walked out of the theatre we started discussing everything that wasn't the way the book was. It was quite funny.

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie (bookshelfblogger) Rae*Gnomey* wrote: "Yeah, HP and the Deathly Hallows part 1 was an extremely good adaptation, but when my best friend walked out of the theatre we started discussing everything that wasn't the way the book was. It was..."
Don't worry! I'm the same way! Sometimes it gets on my nerves how inconsistent the movie is from the book that I have to think of them as 2 separate things.

message 38: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Hahah, I'm not. ;) But it wasn't like we didn't like the movie or anything, we had just automatically started spouting off the differences between the book and movie

message 39: by Adesewa (new)

Adesewa | 3 comments ★ Jess ★ wrote: "Adesewa wrote: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN.All the books are AWSOME.There is nothing wrong with the necromancer or the warlock.ABSOULUTLY NOTHING.:) "

haha, we all have different opinions :) Im almost done,..."

I'd like to see your review if you please so i can pick out all the things wrong with it(if there is any.I do have an open mind and I might agree with you on SOMETHINGS(probabley not)

message 40: by ★ Jess (new)

Here it is Adesewa: Let me knwo if you agree or disagree :) http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 41: by Whitlea (new)

Whitlea I second To Kill A Mockingbird! Before I Fall and Unwind are two books I absolutely love as well.

message 42: by natalie (new)

natalie | 5047 comments Oh, yes, I agree with Unwind.

The Romance Bookie (theromancebookie) | 22 comments Harry Potter hands down takes the cake! :) And then I personally REALLY loved Sarah Dessen's "Along for the Ride", its got such a great story! And then I know many people probably find it lame, but I also REALLY enjoyed reading the Twilight Saga! :)

message 44: by Lionel Del Rey (new)

Lionel Del Rey My favorite book of all time is Look Again by Lisa Scottoline! <3

message 45: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) The Hunger Games.

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (smiley_molko) | 65 comments Top 6 series: Harry Potter is my favorite series, hands down and will always be. Followed by 3 of Tamora Pierce's series (Song of the Lioness, The Immortals, and Daughter of the Lioness). And then Hunger Games and the Gregor series. But FAVORITE book of all time is Catch-22. Unfortunately it's not something I would recommend to everyone, it's a hate or love book.

message 47: by Kate (last edited Aug 02, 2011 06:34PM) (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Ashley wrote: "Top 6 series: Harry Potter is my favorite series, hands down and will always be. Followed by 3 of Tamora Pierce's series (Song of the Lioness, The Immortals, and Daughter of the Lioness). And then ..."

I love Tamora Pierce. And everyone should love Harry Potter.

On a different note, I plan to read Catch-22 soon, since it's my Dad and sister's favorite book, but I'm afraid that my expectations will have been too built up. Oh, well; I have to try.

message 48: by Soumya (new)

Soumya This is a hard decision....

I say:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Count of Monte Cristo
Hatie Big Sky

message 49: by Baxter (last edited Aug 02, 2011 12:51PM) (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 383 comments Ohhh, Count of Monte Cristo is defo one of my favorites. For being over 1000 pages, it feels WAY too short.

Other favorites of mine!
Infinite Jest
The Third Policeman
Complete Words of Jorge Luis Borges (is a collection of short stories acceptable? If not...I'd still put it here anyway)
Naked Lunch

message 50: by Soumya (new)

Soumya I had to read Count of Monte Cristo for school and so my teacher only had us read the shorter version which was around 400 pgs...or maybe it was more....
I want to read the 1000 pgs version though, when I have time. Maybe next summer

« previous 1