The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) The Knife of Never Letting Go question

Requirements to be a man in Todd's society and ours; What are they?
Shannon Shannon Jun 29, 2011 02:04PM
I absolutely loved this book but an ongoing theme was manhood and what it took to be a man. In Todd's society, you had to kill a man in order to become a man on you 13th birthday and I was wondering what are our society requirements?

It is definitely quite confusing, I would say,that a man is a bo who has matured enough to support himself in the real world. However, that does not mean that a boy who lives with his parents cannot become a man. I feel that the distinction between a man and a boy is very personal and infact not at all biological and depends on factors such as maturity,responsibility, experience and exposure in the real world and sometimes age. When I say 'sometimes age' i mean tat sometimes a grown man of, lets say 35 could be much more child like than a younger 'boy' of 22 in terms of character. Not to say, that a very worldly fifteen year old boy of fifteen years old can be called a man, unlike in Todd's world. In todays world, a boy over the age of 25 is definetely viewed as a man.

Kataury (last edited Jul 02, 2011 10:45PM ) Jul 02, 2011 10:39PM   0 votes
I believe it'd be from personal opinions from the perspective of others. The people around you decide if you are an adult or not. To be an adult is to earn the respect and trust of your peers. By taking responsibility of yourself and by acting as others see fit determines how others see you. A child would see someone bigger then them as an adult. A teenager would see someone doing something admirable as an adult, so on and so forth. It's all due to personal principles on how you see others. If a person does something honorable and right, then some would see them as an adult.

For example: Depending on how you respond to being hit by a person would change others opinions of you. If you hit the offender back, then some would think of you as immature, while others would think of you as defending yourself and is therefore honorable. If you turn your back, some would think you the wiser, while others call you a coward. It all depends on the opinions of others.

For Todd's situation, all the men around him had been under the influence of Mayor Prentice, so they believed that to be a man was to end another life. Todd's little society never developed any opinions because their thoughts on what was right and wrong had already been decided by a very convincing and charismatic leader. Viola already had her own opinions and decided when she thought that Todd was a man. The same goes for all the others that interacted with Todd. Depending on how that person saw him determined whether they thought he was an adult or not.

Depends on where you live I would suspect. I live in small town Ohio where manhood comes with being responsible enough to support yourself because you realize it's too much on your parents with our economy the way it is. Overall in America, I'd say it's somewhere around puberty when you get armpit hair. But I don't see any rights of passage. Biology just answers for us.

What is your opinion?

It really all depends on where you live. I live in a small town in Wisconsin and people here do whatever they want. We really don't have rules on how to become a man or a woman. Once you each the age of 18 you are called a adult. You are no longer a teenager. So like Todd he grew up in a town where he did have to kill someone to become a man. But it all depends on where you live mostly.