We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Archives - Challenges > July's Build Your Own Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 160 (160 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Jul 24, 2011 12:50PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments July’s Build Your Own Challenge

Duration - July 1st - July 31st.

I don’t know what it’s like where you’re all at, but the days are really heating up here in the high desert of Southern California, leaving no room for doubt that we’re about to enter the hottest part of the summer – July and August. That’ll mean days spent indoors trying to stay cool, and more time for reading!

If you’ve done this before, you know the drill. If not, here’s how it works –

The challenges in this group are designed to be not very challenging, hence the title, Not Too Challenging Challenges. That means that you get to design the challenge around the books you want to read and the only requirement is that the books somehow remind you of July.

Some ideas might be –
**Books that are published in July.
**Books whose author or a character is named July.
**Stories that have something to do with Independence Day like a 4th of July picnic.
** July is a hot month, so maybe you’ll pick books with hot covers.

Did you know that July is –
**Considered an unlucky month for weddings – avoid getting married in July and any book you read can count!
**National Blueberry Month - books with blue covers?
**National Anti-Boredom Month - Bored? READ!
**National Cell Phone Courtesy Month - turn off your ringer while reading a book, it’ll count!
**National Hot Dog Month – Eat a hotdog while reading a book – it’ll count!
**National Ice Cream Month - does a character eat ice cream in the book you’re reading? Then it counts! Did YOU eat ice cream while reading a book? Then it counts too!

So you see, with a little imagination it’s very easy to find books that will work in these challenges! If you have no imagination at all, copy someone else's challenge1

The only restriction is that you can’t begin reading for this challenge until July 1st, and you must be finished on or before July 31st.

Please list your stats at the top of the page so I can easily spot them and update them.

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Aug 02, 2011 08:51PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Participants -

Alycia------------------------14/14 - - - Done!!
Autumn-----------------12 - - - Done!!!!!!!!!!!!
Becky---------------5/5 +1 bonus - - - Done!!!!
Dhes---------------------14 - - - Done!!!!!!
Gaynell-------------------4/4 - - - Done!!!!!!!!
Jennifer------------------5/4 - - - Done!!!!
Joy---------------------x/8
Julia
Katherine-----------6/6 - - - Done!!!!!!
Lady Leah---------------29/10
Lady Danielle----------------14/14 - - - Done!!!!
Laura-----------------------11/6 - - - Done!!!!!!!
Melanie ----------------- 30
Robin---------------------

message 3: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Jul 26, 2011 10:08AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Dhes's Lazy Days of Summer Challenge

1. Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a LordDone
2. Siren EnslavedDone June 23
3. Backstage Pass Done
4. Journeyman's RideDone
5. Seduction & Scandal Done
6. Chance of a Lifetime Done
7. Seduced by Her Highland Warrior Done
8. Claimed by the Highland Warrior Done
9. Rock Hard Done
10. Beatrice Munson Done July 12
11. Lord of the Vampires Done July 14
12. A Touch of Crimson
13. Unleashed Done July 15
14. Tina's Mouth: An Existential Comic Diary
15. The Unforgiven - Done July 23
16. Hot Head - Done July 20

I'll read what I want, when I want, because I'm enjoying the Lazy Days of Summer and refuse to work on this challenge any harder than I have to!!!

Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2) by Sarah MacLean Siren Enslaved (Texas Sirens, #3) by Sophie Oak Backstage Pass (Sinners on Tour #1) by Olivia Cunning Journeyman's Ride by Marie Harte Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1) by Charlotte Featherstone Chance of a Lifetime by Joey W. Hill Seduced by Her Highland Warrior (Harlequin Historical) by Michelle Willingham Claimed by the Highland Warrior (Harlequin Historical) by Michelle Willingham Rock Hard (Sinners on Tour #2) by Olivia Cunning Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1) by Gena Showalter A Touch of Crimson (Renegade Angels, #1) by Sylvia Day Beatrice Munson by Lorena Bathey Tina's Mouth An Existential Comic Diary by Keshni Kashyap Unleashed by Cherrie Lynn The Unforgiven (The Watchers, #1) by Joy Nash Hot Head by Damon Suede

message 4: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 1625 comments I'm in my friend :)

message 5: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments :)

message 6: by Gaynell (new)

Gaynell (gaynellk) | 268 comments Dhes, count me in. For my July challenge, I'm going to read four fantasy books. (So I don't get bored :) from reading all the romance books for the "All Things Summer" challenge). Actually, I do like to mix up genres, and I have some good fantasy books that I want to read.

message 7: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Sounds good, Gaynell! I don't read much fantasy, but I'm looking forward to seeing what books you read.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Sign me up.

I'll post mine when I come up with it.

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments You bet, Danielle! I can't believe I had forgotten these challenges!

message 10: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments I'm in too. I have so many long term challenges going on now, that I think I will read challenge books. I'll post as I go.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments Count me in for another 6 books from my TBR pile.

If I could only stop buying books then the pile might actually shrink. :P

message 12: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) I'm in again, Dhes :)

message 13: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments YAY!!! I love that so many of you keep coming back for more. Truly, I'm glad you love the challenges!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (heartlandreading) I'm in. Since it's so hot I'll read to stay cool.

message 15: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Awesome!!!!

message 16: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 48 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "the days are really heating up here in the high desert of Southern Califo..."

Oh, Dhes...I gotta ask where! I was born in one desert, southern Cal, and raised in another desert, Arizona...so, where????

message 17: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I live at the top of the Cajon pass. Are you familiar with that? I15 heading to from LA to Vegas?

message 18: by Zaanodes (new)

Zaanodes | 48 comments Heard of Coachella? lolol

message 19: by C Joy (new)

C Joy (yurioujo) | 78 comments I'm in! Definitely going with the hot cover.

0/8

Shayla Black's Wicked Lovers series
1) Wicked Ties
2) Decadent
3) Delicious
4) Surrender To Me

Charlene Teglia's Take Me, Lover series
1) Redline Lover
2) Undercover Lover
3) Adventure Lover
4) Dangerous Lover

message 20: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Oh, I LOVED Wicked Ties! It's definitely my favorite of the series.

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin  | 361 comments I'm going to add this one and surely I can find books that fit both it and the All Things Summer. Besides Wednesday I get an easy count. :)

message 22: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Robin wrote: "I'm going to add this one and surely I can find books that fit both it and the All Things Summer. Besides Wednesday I get an easy count. :)"

I like being able to overlap my challenges whenever possible!

Why do you get an easy count on Wednesday?

message 23: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I have you added, Julia. If you need help making books fit the challenge, just list the ones you want to read and I'll be happy to help you :)

message 24: by Leah (new)

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Danielle's July WLLK BYOC 2011
Theme: Playing Catch-up
Goal: To finish all my review reads and three category romance reads.
Update:
Completed:
A. Review Reads:

1.No Child of Mine by Kelly Irvin
2.Blood Prophecy by Stefan Petruska
3.Forever Found Forever Lost by Ross Eddy Osborn
4. (can't remember title right now)
5. (can't remember title right now)
6. (can't remember title right now)
8. The Vengeful Dead by JN Duncan
9. (can't remember title right now)

B. Category Romance Reads

message 26: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 828 comments Wow just making this challenge. I'm going to do Christmas in July and finish up my Secret Santa Picks.
o/6
1) The Vampire Who Loved Me
2) After Midnight
3) Catch Of The Day
4) He Loves Lucy
5) Potent Pleasures
6) Sundays at Tiffany's

message 27: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I love that, Katherine!

message 28: by Laura (last edited Jul 04, 2011 07:37AM) (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments July Build Your Own Challenge- read 6 books from my TBR pile including my monthly book club selection.

1 / 6 completed

1. The Creed Legacy by Linda Lael Miller completed 7/2
2. The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham ^

^ Book club selection

The Creed Legacy (The Creed Cowboys, #3) by Linda Lael Miller The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham

message 29: by Gaynell (last edited Jul 27, 2011 12:23AM) (new)

Gaynell (gaynellk) | 268 comments July's Build Your Own Challenge

Read four fantasy novels from my TBR pile

1. The Shadow Queen Completed 7/4/11
2. Shalador's Lady Completed 7/6/11
3. Raven's Shadow Completed 7/24/11
4. Raven's Strike Completed 7/26/11

message 30: by Gaynell (new)

Gaynell (gaynellk) | 268 comments Completed 1/4

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jul 10, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Danielle's July WLLK BYOC 2011
Theme: Playing Catch-up
Goal: To finish all my review reads and three category romance reads.
Update: 7/10
Completed: 7/12
A. Review Reads:

1.No Child of Mine by Kelly Irvin
2.Blood Prophecy by Stefan Petrucha 7/3
3.Forever Found Forever Lost by Ross Eddy Osborn 7/9
4. In Bleed Country by Brian Fatah Steele 7/10
5. Highland Hunger by Hannah Howell, et al
6. The Talk of the Town by Fran Baker 7/5
8. The Vengeful Dead by JN Duncan
9. Dark Reflections by Kai Meyer

B. Category Romance Reads
1. Heart on Fire by Charlotte Lamb 7/3
2. Fire and Ice by Diana Palmer 7/4

message 32: by Becky (last edited Jul 05, 2011 10:38AM) (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 320 comments I am in for July and I feel like my slump may be over!! So I am trying for 5 books (I don't want to push it!) with the hopes of reading bonus books!

Simply Sexual by Kate Pearce 7/1
Long Hard Ride by Lorelei James 7/2
The Sugar Queen by Sarah Allen Addison 7/4

Complete 3/5

message 33: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments LK BYOC July:
I have so many long term challenges going on now, that I think I will read challenge books. I'll post as I go.

4/?
The Reluctant Nude by Meg Maguire Unforgiven (Lone Star Lovers, #2) by Delilah Devlin To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5) by Julia Quinn The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly

message 34: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 828 comments Wow just making this challenge. I'm going to do Christmas in July and finish up my Secret Santa Picks.
1/6
1) The Vampire Who Loved Me
2) After Midnight
3) Catch Of The Day read 5*
4) He Loves Lucy
5) Potent Pleasures
6) Sundays at Tiffany's

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 35: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments LK BYOC July:
I have so many long term challenges going on now, that I think I will read challenge books. I'll post as I go.

5/?
The Reluctant Nude by Meg Maguire Unforgiven (Lone Star Lovers, #2) by Delilah Devlin To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5) by Julia Quinn The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2) by Jennifer Donnelly Seduction & Scandal by Charlotte Featherstone

message 36: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Wasn't Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1) by Charlotte Featherstone wonderful??

message 37: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Wasn't Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1) by Charlotte Featherstone wonderful??"

It was, I just wished I had the next book on hand right now to find out what happens next!!!

message 38: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 320 comments Simply Sexual by Kate Pearce 7/1
Long Hard Ride by Lorelei James 7/2
The Sugar Queen by Sarah Allen Addison 7/4
Giving Chase by Lauren Dane 7/6
Samson's Lovely Mortal by Tina Folsom 7/8

Complete 5/5

message 39: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Great job, Becky!!!

message 40: by Leah (last edited Jul 09, 2011 06:12PM) (new)

Leah (leahkarge) 10 done, Dhes! :)

1. Wolfsbane and Mistletoe, anthology - 7/2
2. One Last Breath by Laura Griffin - 7/2
3. One Wrong Step by Laura Griffin - 7/3
4. The Duke And I by Julia Quinn - 7/4
5. The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn - 7/5
6. An Offer From a Gentleman by Julia Quinn - 7/5
7. Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia Quinn - 7/6
8. To Sir Phillip, With Love by Julia Quinn - 7/7
9. When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn - 7/8
10. It's In His Kiss by Julia Quinn - 7/9
11. On the Way to the Wedding by Julia Quinn

Wolfsbane and Mistletoe by Charlaine Harris One Last Breath (The Borderline #1) by Laura Griffin One Wrong Step (The Borderline, #2) by Laura Griffin The Duke And I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) by Julia Quinn An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3) by Julia Quinn Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) by Julia Quinn To Sir Phillip, With Love (Bridgertons, #5) by Julia Quinn When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn It's In His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7) by Julia Quinn On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgertons, #8) by Julia Quinn

message 41: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments YAY! Lovin' those Bridgertons, hey? I finally finished the series last month :)

message 42: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) Definitely! I'm sad I only have one left! And, of course, when I read It's In His Kiss, I thought of you when you misread Gareth St. Clair is in a bind to be Gareth St. Clair is blind. LMAO

message 43: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments ROFL!!!!! HAHAHA!!!! Too funny! At least you didn't have to read 3 or 4 chapters before you figured it out! LOL!!!

She's got a spinoff series now. It's about the Smith/Smythe Musicale girls!

message 44: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) LOL! Very true! I kept thinking, "Poor, Dhes *shakes head and smiles*" But then, I also kept reading the word "blind" instead of "bind" when I looked at the back cover! LOL

I know, I bought the first one already!

message 45: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Jul 09, 2011 08:24PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Poor me, indeed! LOL!

I'm looking forward to reading it, but I kinda want to wait until the next one comes out. I really like having a couple of books in a series before I start it.

message 46: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) I know what you mean. I'm not sure if I'm going to read it next or not.

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (heartlandreading) Dhestiny, I'm 1/x I just finished Then Comes Seduction by Mary Balogh.

message 48: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Thanks, Jennifer!!!

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments July Build Your Own Challenge- read 6 books from my TBR pile including my monthly book club selection.

4 / 6 completed

1. The Creed Legacy by Linda Lael Miller completed 7/2
2. The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham ^ completed 7/9
3. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater completed 7/9
4. Linger by Maggie Stiefvater completed 7/10
5. A Shot in the Dark by K.A. Stewart

^ Book club selection

The Creed Legacy (The Creed Cowboys, #3) by Linda Lael Miller The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater A Shot in the Dark (Jesse James Dawson, #2) by K.A. Stewart

message 50: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Dhes's Lazy Days of Summer Challenge

1. Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a LordDone
2. Siren EnslavedDone June 23
3. Backstage Pass Done
4. Journeyman's RideDone
5. Seduction & Scandal Done
6. Chance of a Lifetime Done
7. Seduced by Her Highland Warrior Done
8. Claimed by the Highland Warrior Done
9. Rock Hard Done
10. Lord of the Vampires
11. A Touch of Crimson

I'll read what I want, when I want, because I'm enjoying the Lazy Days of Summer and refuse to work on this challenge any harder than I have to!!!

Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2) by Sarah MacLean Siren Enslaved (Texas Sirens, #3) by Sophie Oak Backstage Pass (Sinners on Tour #1) by Olivia Cunning Journeyman's Ride by Marie Harte Seduction & Scandal (The Brethren Guardians, #1) by Charlotte Featherstone Chance of a Lifetime by Joey W. Hill Seduced by Her Highland Warrior (Harlequin Historical) by Michelle Willingham Claimed by the Highland Warrior (Harlequin Historical) by Michelle Willingham Rock Hard (Sinners on Tour #2) by Olivia Cunning Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1) by Gena Showalter A Touch of Crimson (Renegade Angels, #1) by Sylvia Day

« previous 1 3 4