Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > 2 distinct books, same ISBN : (

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Ford | 3 comments Hi fellow librarians!

I was trying to add a new book when I got an error message saying that the ISBN I typed in(2080115960) was already taken by an existing book.

Here are links to each book on Amazon :

Les Techniques de l'art (French book)

Coca Cultivation in the Andean Region - A survey of Bolivia, Colombia and Peru

Only the latter is listed on Goodreads. However, I didn't find any reference to an actual book with that title on the Internet and Amazon lists it as "currently unavailable" and has no image for it. Still according to Amazon, the book is supposed to be in French which seems hard to believe given its title...

How can two different books have the same ISBN anyway ?

Thanks

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments By the unfortunate practice of isbn's being reused. Sad, and confusing, but true.

You can add the new book, without typing in the isbn...and put the isbn in the description, and as an librarian's note.

You might want to add a note to the thread about information to be added to the librarian's manual, for this situation...I don't think there's anything in there about it, currently. :)

message 3: by John (new)

John Ford | 3 comments Thanks for the quick reply :)

Beth wrote: "By the unfortunate practice of isbn's being reused. Sad, and confusing, but true.

It's a little strange in this case though, as both books were published around the same time (2006) oO

message 4: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments Here's a link to Coca Cultivation in the Andean Region - A survey of Bolivia, Colombia and Peru - June 2006 on the UN's website:

http://www.unodc.org/pdf/andean/Andea...

I looked through their website and they publish everything in the organizations three official languages: English, German, and French. So, there would be a copy of this report in French.

message 5: by John (new)

John Ford | 3 comments Yes, I did find the report but unfortunately nothing in book form.