The Dressmaker of Khair Khana: Five Sisters, One Remarkable Family, and the Woman Who Risked Everything to Keep Them Safe The Dressmaker of Khair Khana question

What are some of the implausible aspects of this book to you?
Sherri Sherri Jun 28, 2011 10:50AM
How was there a market for that many new dresses at a time when by the author's account (and many others), Kabul was falling into extreme poverty. All the women who came to Kamila were so that they could earn some money to live - so who were these women who were purchasing so many dresses to employ that many seamstresses working that many hours?

I had the same thoughts too. If there was so much poverty how could there be such a market for so many dresses? Why did the mother leave then come back, then leave again? Too many unanswered questions for me as well.

She starts out with the most implausible presentation of herself arriving in Afghanistan with no phone, a contact named Mohammed, no understanding of what the airport looks like nor where to meet her guide. Come on. I've solo traveled. No one with her background and travel experience could possibly be that stupid. So immediately I realized this would not be a "true" story. It would be a very fictionalized and dramatized accounting. I was looking for non-fiction and I'm uncomfortable with an author who is less than authentic.

I had the same question in my mind. Everything seemed just too cut and dried. Why did the parents leaves, especially the mother? Why did the youngest brother stay? Many many questions about this story.