Creative Reviews discussion

Tips and Tricks > Reviewer lists on websites

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.A. (last edited Jun 28, 2011 04:54AM) (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Hey guys:

I've come across a couple of sites listing reviewers who will review indie books and ebooks. It occurs to me that this might be useful for you reviewing-type-bods to add yourself to as well as for we writing-type-bods to go and look at, so thought I'd start a thread to share the lists.

Hopefully this will be helpful all of us - more visitors to your blogs mean more people read your reviews of our books - everyone's a winner!(And of course, if you're looking for a short fantasy ebook to review, you know where to find me..... heheheh).

Anyhow, here are a couple of links I've found:

Midwest Book Review list is supposed to be a good one:
http://www.midwestbookreview.com/link...

http://www.simon-royle.com/indie-revi...

http://www.stepbystepselfpublishing.n...

http://bookblogs.ning.com/ - check down the LH side of the page for various Groups

Okay, there's your starter for ten - anyone got more to add?
JAC

message 2: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
I have seen loads of ARC copies on e-bay and many times before the release date of the book! It's crazy...I love holding on to my copies, I will have a version no one else ever has. I love that! :)

message 3: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 298 comments Thanks for sharing j.a.

message 4: by Maude (new)

Maude | 24 comments I used to be a bookseller and, as such, received numerous review copies. Once read, they take up space and so are usually given away to customers or sold for a few dollars. Book scouts and readers who no longer want them are usually the ones who sell on the internet. Some of these ARC's can sell for hundreds of dollars depending on the book and its scarcity because they are the real "first" editions. It is hard to tell at the beginning but if the book turns out to be a blockbuster with a small first print run the ARC copy might be worth quite a bit - if you haven't read it and it is still close to pristine which also means no writing your name in it or spilling jelly on it. This is probably more than you wanted to know. If you don't care about future value, just read and enjoy it!

message 5: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Thanks for the list JA

message 6: by Meg (last edited Jul 01, 2011 03:22PM) (new)

Meg Tinsley (megforfuze) | 14 comments Julia wrote: "I had great reviews from Midwest. The only down side to this, they, and I am guessing, either sell or give away the review copies, which end up for sale on Amazon."

Actually, I interviewed Jim Cox, founder of the Midwest Book Review, about his organization about a month ago, and he explained that that is how the reviewers get reimbursed for their efforts, by selling the books, as they usually receive nice, if not hardcover copies. It's a creative way of doing it, since the reviewers are getting reimbursed for their time, and also not getting into sticky unethical dilemmas by getting paid by the author. If you want to read the FUZE newsletter edition that I wrote it in, go to http://community.icontact.com/p/fuzep.... Not to plug too much, but if you want to receive the free newsletter every week, which has tips for writers as well as the latest publishing news, go to www.fuzepublishing.com/join. You can unsubscribe anytime.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (bookishevents) There are probably thousands of review blogs on the web and a good portion of those review indie books, that said when you review indie books you get a backlog because there a so many authors that contact you even when you're a new blog. Sometimes it just takes some time to get through them all. I've had a review blog for a month, between netgalley which I use to integrate new mainstream titles into the mix, library thing early reviewers which is a mix of both, author requests and publisher requests my TBR pile is at 41 books that I've promised to review in the past 30 days. At least half of those are author requested indie books. Making an excel or even word file of the different review blogs and websites that accept indie titles along with connecting them to their goodreads profile since most of them are on here would probably be a good idea of any indie author. I've had some ask me to review here then email my blog three days later and ask me again because they don't connect me to my blog even with the link on my profile.

message 8: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Wow! everyone's review list is insane. Makes mine look puny. lol.
I haven't listed my blog anywhere though...

message 9: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Meg wrote: "Julia wrote: "I had great reviews from Midwest. The only down side to this, they, and I am guessing, either sell or give away the review copies, which end up for sale on Amazon."

Actually, I int..."

Thanks for sharing this Meg!!!!

message 10: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (bookishevents) I started getting requests after Kayelle announced my blog in her group which is an author promotion group.

message 11: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Cool!
by the way i answered your message the other day here on GR did you get it?

message 12: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (bookishevents) Yeah and the following day I lost power in my bedroom, just got the computer moved into the dining room today so I'm playing catch up today and will resend that email probably tomorrow to the correct address. Your radio show is seriously hilarious. Right now you're talking about snakes.

message 13: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Ahhhh toilet snakes! Always look before you sit Jenn!!! LOL

and no worries about the message just so long as you got it!!! wasn't sure with the luk i have been having lately.

message 14: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (bookishevents) I live where it's cold. I'm thinking that's not an issue for me. I'm frightened of public restrooms, I completely refuse to use them. But I do that anyway because I have two young sons with poor aim that haven't quite learned consideration for those who use the same restroom they do. Sit down on that a couple times and you learn to always look.

message 15: by Cambria (last edited Jul 01, 2011 06:23PM) (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments EWWW. my son is the same way. lol. its a boy thing....even if i lived in the cold (when I lived in the cold) I always looked.....

message 16: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (bookishevents) That is my biggest pet peeve with my children. I've actually made my boys clean the household toilets before so they'll start lifting the seat, but they thought it was fun.

message 17: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments hahahaha. my son always puts down the seat and the toilet lid. when we have guests that leave the lid up h goes into the bathroom and yells "someone left the lid up! we always put it down"

never know if a toilet snake might come out.....LOL

message 18: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (bookishevents) I'd rather walk into a bathroom with the lid up than to sit down on an unpleasant surprise because I forgot to look.

message 19: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments lol!

message 20: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
Jenn wrote: "Yeah and the following day I lost power in my bedroom, just got the computer moved into the dining room today so I'm playing catch up today and will resend that email probably tomorrow to the corre..."

OOHH!! I'm glad you are liking the show, Jenn! We had so much fun with it. I hope you listen to us again this Tues!

PopcornReads - MkNoah (goodreadscompopcornreads) | 132 comments Thanks for the list. I had been searching for this kind of info. Found some great additions.