flight paths discussion

About Books & Reading > Again for the first time

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) I've seen this question asked in author interviews, and always thought it was intriguing:

What book do you wish you could read again as if reading it for the first time?

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) No one saw the question? No one has an answer? Everyone thinks it's a stupid question? Hello? :)

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1248 comments At the beach. Can't think

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Ellie wrote: "At the beach. Can't think"

Hope you took your Ayn Rand, in case of emergency. :)

Kink, I'll get back to you with some thoughts on your post. I'm feeling entirely too silly at the moment to do it justice.

message 5: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2341 comments I am beginnining to think that some of you have those communication devices for checking their mail...at the beach? I do not even have a cell phone, and for a fairly entrenched luddite it is amazing to me and fairly scary how much I am loving my new laptop (not so new, I've had it for a year now, my first computer at all) with everything it enables...like GR, and FP.

I find this a delightful question, and I would apply it it to most of my favorites shelf. When HRO said she was planning to read STICP and SH I had a twinge of feeling, not exactly jealous, but like its described above

message 6: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Eon

I read this whilst travelling in NW USA when I was young !! A twin tracked voyage of discovery.

As my memory is seemingly fading, when I re-read it will seem like the first time.

It has taken me some time to work down from a list of 5 possible answers, so I agree that the question is challenging.

message 7: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2341 comments Ice wrote: "Eon

I read this whilst travelling in NW USA when I was young !! A twin tracked voyage of discovery.

As my memory is seemingly fading, when I re-read it will seem like the first..."

this question is not just intellectually titillating.
Ice's answer here has already influenced me, for I have seen this book itself around for a long time, and it didn't hook me like the comments here.

Greg Bear is one of those authors who, for me, has always shown such promise: his themes, his characters, the issues he tackles, his reverent irreverence, all these are just what I am into, and his writing carries me right along to a point, around a hundred pages toward the end of the book, and I have read 4 or 5 by now, he vagues out.

Realizing as I start to go on that this is moving to a discssion of authors. I'm interested to know what you think about my remarks here, and to see if HROS has figured out how to organize folders.

message 8: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Click on any folder, then at the top line click on edit folder and the arrangement options will appear.

message 9: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments For Topics, click the (edit) on the topic and change the folder selection

message 10: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments For most people, the method is to go up, under or round an obstacle, I tend to blunder through it.
Labelled 'disaster daddy' at home.

Hence I arrived at the above advice by trial and tribulation.

So please don't assume I have suddenly gained intelligence, insight or practical skills.

:-)
(too hot for polar bears)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Ice wrote: "Click on any folder, then at the top line click on edit folder and the arrangement options will appear."

Ice, can you SEE the folders? All that I can see is the General Folder.

I'm planning to tinker this evening...I've got a million things I should be doing...

message 12: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jun 30, 2011 09:27AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments From memory the folders are not showing as they have no resident topics.

Click more discussions, then on the topic, and you have a drop down menu for folder selection.

I have added a topic to Greg Bear as an example of this display.

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2341 comments Now I can get into the folders easily, but how do we move things into them? Everyone should have ease of access.
I've got to get ready for work now, havent even showered yet

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2341 comments when we can see far we can think far...Laurie Brown is saying this as I zip back here to see if Ice has replied

Whats puzzling me is why there is no 'folders' to click on listed with the other choices on the FP home page?

message 15: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jun 30, 2011 09:43AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments returned from RL and other e-mail traffic !

See thread on topics - ah now I see can you move posts within a topic to another topic ? ummm

The only options for a moderator appear to be flag or delete. So the half way house would be to mark the relevant messages 'off topic'.

Also !! Dont mind if you delete my 'how to' posts from this topic to clean it up.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Ice, thanks for the help! I think I've sorted it out. I, too, am a "what happens when I push this button?" kinna person. :) 90% of what I know about computers & the internet, I've learned that way.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Kinkajou wrote: "HRO aka Ze Grande Salami

Love it! :D"

:)