Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Mistake when creating alt edition?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) | 31 comments I created an alternate edition for a different book cover with the same ISBN, but it isn't connecting to other editions of the title and it doesn't show reviews and ratings. What did I do wrong?

Here's the link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

message 2: by ambyr (new)

ambyr | 33 comments You just needed to hit "combine" and merge the new book in with the old ones. Should be set now.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments It's showing combined for me...but don't forget to put the librarian's note in, stating "alternate book cover for isbn #XXXXXXXXXX)

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Oops...never mind. :) Ambyr combined, so I missed the boat on that one, and you already *did* make the librarian's note. I added the html notice in the description, so it shows on the book page.

I'm so proud, I just did my first alternate cover edition, today...so I'm all in your business. :)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) | 31 comments ambyr wrote: "You just needed to hit "combine" and merge the new book in with the old ones. Should be set now."

Thanks! I didn't see that in the instructions in the manual.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) | 31 comments Beth wrote: "I'm so proud, I just did my first alternate cover edition, today...so I'm all in your business. :)"

We both ventured into the world of alt covers today. :)

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments :) I was scared. lol.

message 8: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jun 28, 2011 02:13PM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) | 31 comments I double checked the manual, and it does not say anything about combining in the instructions for adding an alternate cover. Either I'm missing it, or that section needs edited.

These are the instructions in the manual:

"Adding an alternate-cover edition
If you find that a book with a specific ISBN has already been listed with a different cover, then it is likely the ISBN was reused for a later/earlier reprinting. If that is the case, you can manually add a new edition to the database that would be an 'alternate cover edition.' This is done because as of now, it is not possible to upload multiple covers of a book, and because changing the cover of an existing edition is not ideal. Some people may have added the existing edition with that specific cover because it is the one they own. If you want to have an edition shelved with your specific cover, then it is accepted procedure to create a new edition with your cover art. However, since an ISBN can only be used once in the database, leave the ISBN fields on your new edition blank then in the Description field, add a Librarian's Note: stating that it is an alternate cover edition and state the ISBN. You can also use the Librarian Note feature found near the top of the book edit page to attach a note to the book (this helps prevent the book from accidentally being deleted by a librarian who thinks it is an invalid entry)."

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi It's because everytime you create a new entry (regular new edition or alternate cover, doesn't matter) you have to combine it afterwards. It's never combined automatically.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42057 comments Mod
HRO, I'm hoping to work on the manual this weekend. Could you please start a thread ion the Manual Additions folder with suggested language for the addition?

Thanks!

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) | 31 comments rivka wrote: "HRO, I'm hoping to work on the manual this weekend. Could you please start a thread ion the Manual Additions folder with suggested language for the addition?"

Will do...thanks!