Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > 6/27 What's on your list this week?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey (new)

message 2: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) I'm reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman and am loving it so far. Next in series comes out this August. :)

message 3: by Kathy (last edited Jun 27, 2011 02:20PM) (new)

Kathy Fly I'm reading Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon. I also have started The Broken Teaglass: A Novel by Emily Arsenault and Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn.

I think I had reading burn-out a few months back. I couldn't find a single book that interested me and had a hard time finishing anything. Now I start two or three books at a time and move forward with the most interesting one. :)

All three of these started out pretty good and I'm looking forward to seeing how they end.

Can someone please teach me how to link book titles? Thanks!

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I am reading Three Weissmans of Westport, theand The Storm at the Door, two very different family stories.

message 5: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Kathy wrote: "I'm reading Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon. I also have started The Broken Teaglass by Emily Arsenault and Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn.

I think I had reading burn-out a few months ..."

Kathy do you see the "add book/author" link at top of comment box. Click that and type in your book title, click add and waahh laa.

message 6: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I'm going to finish up Revenge of the Spellmans today and then will work on Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz Oh Gretchen - you've got a couple of goodies there! I'm still trying to finish "Life" by Keith Richards. It's fascinating but so very long. This is not helped by the fact that I've got a bunch of good summer reads in from the library that I'm eager to read: Sisterhood Everlasting, Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook, Joy For Beginners & The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue: A Novel- an earlier book by the same author who wrote How to Bake a Perfect Life.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Fly Thank you, Gretchen-
Is it supposed to add the book info at the end of my post?

message 9: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Liz wrote: "Oh Gretchen - you've got a couple of goodies there! I'm still trying to finish "Life" by Keith Richards. It's fascinating but so very long. This is not helped by the fact that I've got a bunch of ..."

I knew Barabra Samuels sounded familiar! I read Goddesses years ago.

message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Kathy wrote: "Thank you, Gretchen-
Is it supposed to add the book info at the end of my post?"

Kathy, you should be able to see that link embedded. Just hit "space," and keep typing your post.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Fly Thank you, Caroline-
For some reason my links were showing up at the end of my post. I just cut & pasted them where I wanted them. :)

message 12: by Elise (new)

Elise I just started Vaclav and Lena. It is a sweet immigrant story about two Russian children. So far, so good!

On Friday I'm going to the beach for the day, and after some deliberation, I decided to bring a book called On Folly Beach. That's the beach I'm going to! I wish I could stay a few days--at least till I finish the book!

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) I finished Water for Elephants, and found it enjoyable. I liked the twist at the end. Now, I am reading Started Early, Took My Dog

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments Still working on finishing All This, and Heaven Too this week (which is long, but enjoyable) and then on to Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments I'm reading, "Last Child" by John Hart (finally) and "Darkfever" by Karen Moning. I am STILL listening to Tina Fey on audio but it's not working out as it's not very inspiring to work out too. (Although funny)

Caroline-I liked The Magicians. I read it last year. I think I might have to reread it before the new one because I have forgotten a lot. I did think it had Narnia or Harry Potter-esque feel.

message 16: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Leslie wrote: "I'm reading, "Last Child" by John Hart (finally) and "Darkfever" by Karen Moning. I am STILL listening to Tina Fey on audio but it's not working out as it's not very inspiring to work out too. (Alt..."

I have The Last Child on my to-read. It sounds very good. Glad to hear you liked The Magicians! I didn't know when the sequel was going to be released when I started, so I am happy to hear it is coming out this August. I tend to forget lots of plot details; that really annoys me!

message 17: by Elise (new)

Elise I just finished Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner. It was wonderful! Mary, I think you'll really like it. A sweet story of two immigrant kids in NYC. Beautiful!

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Thanks for the heads-up, Elise! I'm thinking someone recommended that on Facebook -- it might've been Caroline Leavitt, but I'm not sure. One of the authors, I think. I stuck it on my list and, on your recommendation, I'll definitely follow up on it.

message 19: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Caroline wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I'm reading, "Last Child" by John Hart (finally) and "Darkfever" by Karen Moning. I am STILL listening to Tina Fey on audio but it's not working out as it's not vYes!ery inspiring to wor..."

Yes! The Last Child is very good!

message 20: by Annika (last edited Jun 29, 2011 02:11PM) (new)

Annika I agree with The Last Child - just loved it! I adore John Hart. He has a new one out now called Iron House, which I will definitely be adding to my TBR list:)

message 21: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_d) I'm just starting Mistress Shakespeare but am going slowly. Busy week. I have holidays coming up though so am checking everyone's reading lists for suggestions! :-)

message 22: by Stacey (new)

Stacey I've started Rainlight and, wow, this is a good book. I agree with the reviews on Amazon more than goodreads.

message 23: by Melki (new)

Melki My husband loved "Talking to Girls About Duran Duran," but it is just not doing it for me. I'm going to finish it, because he always reads things I recommend - but I'm definitely not likin' it. That must be the definition of true love - reading a book you don't like to please your mate!

message 24: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_d) Melki wrote: "My husband loved "Talking to Girls About Duran Duran," but it is just not doing it for me. I'm going to finish it, because he always reads things I recommend - but I'm definitely not likin' it. T..."

Melki, I've had this on hold at the library for a while now, and have missed it a couple of times, but I'll probably still give it a try!

message 25: by Melki (new)

Melki If you really enjoyed 80s music, you will probably like this book. I'm more of a "classic rock" gal.
But especially since you can get it for free from the library, I say -go for it!