Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

1001 Book List > Where do you find the CURRENT List?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments Just joined this list because it sounded interesting. I would like to know where the current list the group is using located, so I can check it & see how many I may have read & what I still have left to go! This is my kind of a challenge :)

message 2: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) For the current version of the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list:
Click on the 2010 spreadsheet in this thread.

Be advised, we use all versions of the list in this group. :)

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments ALL versions? LOL, how many versions ARE there? ACK!!!!!

message 4: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) I believe there are three: 2006, 2008, and 2010. There are 1294 total books that either are or were on the list. I was having trouble picking books, and wanted to make sure the list helped me branch out, so I used random number generation to help pick which books I plan to read in the next year. It at least gives me a place to start.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments Hm....I think to male it a little easier on myself, I'll start with the one on the website, work through that, then work through the non official 2010 one & skip the earlier versions. Otherwise I'd just get frustrated!

message 6: by Shay (new)

Shay | 71 comments Lisa wrote: "Hm....I think to male it a little easier on myself, I'll start with the one on the website, work through that, then work through the non official 2010 one & skip the earlier versions. Otherwise I'..."

I think there are less than 1300 books total from all three lists. I think they have them all placed in this group's bookshelf.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments Glad to hear that total are right around 1300. That makes me interested enough now to peek at the other lists to see what the others are that didn't make the original website list. Headed to the library today anyway, since it's right around the corner from the dentist's office & my son has an appointment today. I'll get a jump on one book anyway while he's back there :)

My initial to check out short list if they are on the shelves today are:

The Color Purple-I've wanted to read it since the movie came out anyway

In the Name of the Rose

The Poisonwood Bible-I keep putting my hand on it when I go in there, just have never actually picked it up.

The Handmaid's Tale-read one of Atwood's, the Flood one, & that was interesting, so I thought I'd try more of her work anyway.

Anyone read any of these already? Any thoughts?

message 8: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin | 198 comments I've read all of those, actually, and they're all excellent, each in a very different way. My favourite is probably The Name of the Rose, but be warned, it's very cerebral, and may require a dictionary if your Latin isn't up to par. I managed most of the asides with only an occasional reference, but I suggest an edition with footnotes.

The Poisonwood Bible is also great. It requires a bit less background knowledge, didn't engage me emotionally and literarily as much as The Name of the Rose, but was fantastic regardless. It's also historical fiction, although of much more recent nature than the other.

The Handmaid's Tale is basically post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I liked it, but found it perhaps just a touch didactic.

message 9: by El (new)

El I agree wtih Genia - those are all good books, those I would say The Poisonwood Bible was probably my least favorite of them all. I was bugged by that one, but I know other people really loved it. I wish I could comment on The Color Purple but it's been so long since I originally read it (probably in junior high/high school). I'm due for a re-read on that, but I don't think you can go wrong.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments The library had to order Name of the Rose for me from another library, so I picked up Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut & The Bridges of Madison County as alternates since they are both short. I found it odd that Slaughter House was listed as a YA book. Any feedback on these 2?

message 11: by El (new)

El It's been a really long time since I've read the Vonnegut so that's due for a re-read too. But Bridges isn't on the list, is it? I haven't read that and don't care to.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments I could swear I saw Bridges on a list somewhere! if not the original list, maybe on another list. Anyway, I'll read it since I checked it out, LOL

message 13: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) Lisa wrote: "Glad to hear that total are right around 1300. That makes me interested enough now to peek at the other lists to see what the others are that didn't make the original website list. Headed to the ..."

I really enjoyed "The Poisonwood Bible" - I think you either love this book or hate it - there's no in between. I found her writing style a bit "flowery", but it gripped me. Definitely worth reading!! :)

message 14: by Shay (new)

Shay | 71 comments Lisa wrote: "The library had to order Name of the Rose for me from another library, so I picked up Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut & The Bridges of Madison County as alternates since they are both short. ..."

I don't think of it as a YA book. But I know it's a book that's fairly commonly used in high school. Maybe it's shelved that way because most of the people coming in to check it out are students.

message 15: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Lisa wrote: "I could swear I saw Bridges on a list somewhere! if not the original list, maybe on another list. Anyway, I'll read it since I checked it out, LOL"

The Bridges of Madison County is not included in any of the 1001 lists.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments I've just started it, & it definitely doesn't say YA to me. But I can see your line of thinking. I know it's one we didn't go over when I was in high school, but then again, the book came out when I was 2, LOL.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (mizparker) | 9 comments I am working from the 2006 list, but my book review site lists them all - the full 2006, and then the differences between the 2006 and 2008 (over 200 books added and removed), and the differences between the 2008 and 2010 (only 11 changes.) "Core list" - those that appear on all three 1,001 lists - is 700-something, which seems a manageable number.

My site: http://mizparker.wordpress.com

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen | 10 comments Slaughter House Five is on the College Bound reading list of the Arrowhead Library System which most schools give out to students as a guide if they need something to read. I know I got a copy when I was in high school.

message 19: by Nilgün (last edited Oct 18, 2011 10:34PM) (new)

Nilgün (hassiz) | 1 comments I have to be buy this book "1001"for the correct list, there ist to find in net the pdf data but It is not so kind. You cant see it so good.