The Space Between Us The Space Between Us discussion

Moving and Haunting

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carole A friend gave me this book to read. I picked it up and was on page 194 before I thought about page numbers. The only sadness I felt was to realize that I was more than half way through the book. The main character, Bhima, is a servant woman in a middle class Parsi household in Bombay. Her life is spent negotiating an existence between her masters at the workplace and her husband and children at home. Her story is told with compelling simplicity. Her struggle to maintain morality in a corrupt world is haunting.

message 2: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn well said -- thanks!

Carol E. yes, well said. I loved this book!

Jeanne Bhima's story was heart-breaking, but I admired her resilience. This is the sort of book that reminds me that each person has a story to tell and each person has value.

I loved the book and when I finished, I wanted to start it again. I will re-read it at some point and that is something I rarely do.

Geoffrey Yes, of the 50-100 books I have read in the past year, it ascends to the top of the list.