The Sword and Laser discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
2011 Reads > THG: Should we discuss the trilogy instead of just book one?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Jun 13, 2011 08:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick (Whyzen) | 1291 comments Seems that a lot of the S&L members are reading on through the whole Hunger Games Trilogy. Tom is on the second book and looks like Veronica is on the 3rd.

To me, after reading all three books, while they can each stand alone they really do feel like one giant story split into three parts. All three of these books felt like quick reads to me.

Should we discuss the trilogy instead of just book one? Would there be any objections?

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 699 comments As much as I would like that I'm torn. I guess a lot of people just read the trilogy as a whole, but it would be a bit unfair to those who didn't manage to read the whole series, since you really can't avoid any spoilers when you discuss the trilogy as a whole.

As for me, I'm about 75% into the third book, so no personal objections from me. But if a lot of people just read the first book then I think we should stick to that.

Adrienne (addiebelle) | 226 comments I'd be up for it. We could always do what we did for Shadow and Claw and say right away in the title which book it's about.

I often find it difficult to discuss only the first book of a trilogy when I know what happens in the later books, but that's me and I've read the whole Hunger Games trilogy already.

Nick (Whyzen) | 1291 comments ROFL, I started this thread last night before the #65 podcast. Seems V&T are going to give book wrap-ups of 2 & 3 after they finish doing the wrap-up for 1.

message 5: by AndrewP (last edited Jun 14, 2011 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 2014 comments To me, after reading all three books, while they can each stand alone they really do feel like one giant story split into three parts. All three of these books felt like quick reads to me."

In comparison to many of the other books being discussed in the group I would hardly call this a 'giant story'. LOL..
More like one longish book split into 3 novellas.

Nick (Whyzen) | 1291 comments Giant in comparison to the story arcs of the individual books.

message 7: by Joana (new) - added it

Joana Augusto | 25 comments I'm up for it. I've finished reading the trilogy in the beginning of the year, so it's harder for me just to discuss the first book than the whole story!

message 8: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan (Daniel-san) | 101 comments I wasn't going to give in just yet, but I was at the book store yesterday and picked up Catching Fire, so I know what I'm doing this weekend.

R.H. Watson (rh_watson) | 45 comments I just started Mockingjay today, so sure; by the end of the weekend, I should be ready to discuss all three.

message 10: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments I did not realize this was part 1 of a trilogy until I finished it (last night). Second time I fell into trap. Guess I was not listening. Again.

message 11: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I'm on my way to the shops to pick up Mockingjay after the terribly unfair cliffhanger ending of Catching Fire.
*sigh*

Vladimir | 33 comments There is no way to resist reading the other books (unless you hated the first), as both of the first two books end very abruptly with no real resolution. The good news is that they're all very quick reads, I finished all three in about a week.

message 13: by aldenoneil (last edited Jun 19, 2011 11:34AM) (new) - added it

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Vladimir wrote: "There is no way to resist reading the other books...as both of the first two books end very abruptly with no real resolution."

I didn't find this to be the case. I've stopped after one, for now, and felt it resolved quite nicely. I don't get to know who Katniss ends up with, and I don't get to see her lead a revolution, but it settled the whole Hunger Games affair. I was satisfied.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Catching Fire (other topics)
Mockingjay (other topics)