The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee Hello!

Just curious - anyone here into visiting museums? I'm hoping to go to the Institute of Contemporary Art in Philadelphia to see the R. Crumb exhibit.

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 64 comments Hi Renee!

As a Social Studies teacher and librarian, I love going to museums. I assume that you live in the greater Philadelphia area... if you get the chance, go to Princeton University's museum. It is located on-campus and is free of charge. Plus, you can stroll around the campus and around town afterwards. Princeton has many excellent restaurants and cafes, good ice cream (the Bent Spoon), good shopping, and good atmosphere. My mother is a quilter, so we're planning on checking out the quilt exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

message 3: by Tisha (new)

Tisha I love museums. If you make to to LA, you should check out the Getty.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 278 comments I'm a huge museum fan as well. My dad's idea of family vacations was always Washington DC when I was young. As children, my brother and I hated it and just wanted to go to Florida like the rest of our friends, but I am so appreciative now. I'm pretty much a sucker for all of them; art museums, history museums, science, etc. I live in St. Louis and we have several museums about 10 minutes away and they're all free. We take great advantage of that.
Chicago is also a great place to hit the museums.

message 5: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 135 comments Great topic! I remember by dad dragging us up to Washington DC for the July 4th Bicentennial (yes, 1976. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away). It was surprisingly crowded (go figure) and we really couldn't get too close or stay in town. My dad drove around for HOURS looking for a parking place in the pouring rain. We wound up touring Bull Run in Manassas which actually was very interesting and fun. We also saw some weird wax museum (not sure where) with John Brown which I still kind of have nightmares about.

Thankfully I got a couple of chances to get up to DC for work and spent HOURS at the Smithsonian. Deeeelightful!

I love the museums up in Chicago too: Science and Industry, Field, and Art Institute. Can never get enough of those. Oh and Indianapolis has a great art museum too.

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 224 comments I LOVE museums! I am from Philly orignially and love love love the Phila Museum of Art (aka The Art Museum) and the Rodin Museum. I live in the DC area now and love heading down to the city to check out the museums in DC...there are some great ones!

message 7: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10108 comments Mod
Ive been to the Museum of Natural History in NYC, the Babe Ruth Museum and Museum of Science in Inner Harbor Baltimore, and the Childrens Museum in Philly.

I would go to more if I had the time and money to!!!

message 8: by Macy (new)

Macy | 155 comments This is looking terribly partial to the east coast, so I'd like to throw in some new ones. :) There are a few great Latin American art museums in Denver, and the new Modern Art Museum in Denver is very cool. The entire space works with the modern theme and in many ways the building is art as well.

I've always loved history museums, walking around and trying to imagine the real people and real lives that are depicted. We went to a neat rail road museum in Two Harbors MN a couple weeks ago - there was a TON of stuff in this really small space. Lots of newspaper articles about war, dating back to WWI. Military outfits, pictures of railcars, examples of rail equipment. Very interesting, and all for only $2!

I'm also quite fond of the Guiness Brewery/Museum in Dublin - not only do you get to see the history of brewing and of Guiness but you get a free pint at the end!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments I love museums. My mother also adores them and tried to take me to as many as possible when I was a child.

I have great memories involving trips to the various Smithsonian museums (especially the American History and Natural History ones), the Frick, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the High (in Atlanta), the Mint Museum (Charlotte), the British Museum, and both the American and British National Portrait Galleries. The local art museums were ... interesting ... places to visit when I was growing up, however. The county museum was great if you liked Andrew Wyeth (at that time they had the world's largest collection), and Bob Jones University's collection is neat if you like religious art.

I remember being nine and bummed out that the Wintertur wouldn't let me in, as I wasn't twelve yet. We went back when I was thirteen and I had a blast!

The ones I've always wanted to see include the Tate, the Victoria & Albert, and the Getty.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee I've been to the Getty - OMG! I would have stayed longer or went back the next day but my family would have locked me up! hahahaha I went to the Huntington with my sister-in-law - that was wonderful too!
I've been to the British Museum and I don't think my mouth closed the whole time I was there! I think the highlight for me was the Rosetta Stone!
The Smithsonians are great! I'm hoping to get to the Smithsonian American Art Museum for their Georgia O'Keeffe/Ansel Adams exhibit!
Three years ago my younger son and I went to the Kennedy Space Center and the US Astronaut Hall of Fame. We had a fun day! I recommend it highly to families!
My goal is to revisit the museums of NYC. Growing up in CT, our big yearly field trip was to either NYC or Boston! I need to go back to NYC!

message 11: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I second the Musuem of Natural History. I just went there on Saturday with my boyfriend (I paid for the entire NYC trip as a one year anniversary present to him). It was amazing, we spent about six hours there, and didn't get to go in-depth exploring of the second and third floor (there are six floors including the basement). It is amazing. You NEED to go there.

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments I know I am 2 weeks late but who cares???

I live in NYC and my fave is the Brooklyn Museum. It is so nice there. I have also worked in some museums as well. The MET is pretty damn great too!!!

In addition to my book obbsession, I am a museum-a-holic too!!!

message 13: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Why didn't I see this title before????? I adore museums!!! Oh they are so great. I have a friend who whenever we meet it is just so normal we propose to visit a museum, exhibition... she loves them jsut as I do. My boyfriend always tries to take my attention to the other side of the street, jsut like when there is a bookshop nearby that I didn't see....
I didn't like living in England mainly because of the people, but my god I adored visiting all the msueums there and so many I didn't visit even!!!! Before leaving last year I went to see the exhibition of China's terracotta army at the british museum and it was so beautiful...jsut like the museum itself. I must have been four times.
It is one of the first things I do when I have planned a holiday, looking up which museums there are. It's good that I want to visit really a lot everytime because that way I at least manage to end up visiting one or two with my boyfriend. He is just not into museums..... but they are as great on my own:-)

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments Locally, we have the Frist Center for The Visual Arts...a nice small museum. Then we have the museum at Fisk University with some great collections. I am very fond of the Birmingham Museum of Art and especially fond of the Wedgewood collection there.

Historically, well there seems to be a historic landmark on every street corner in the small town where I live. Several historic mansions, a couple of dead Presidents' homes.

Also there is a toy museum and a tobacco museum.

And let us not forget The Country Music Hall of Fame which, even if you don't care for country, has an amazing display of Americana from the last 80 years or so.

I love museums! I love great art. I love the quiet. I look for museums when I travel. I loved the RCMP Museum in Regina.

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments BTW if anyones visits NYC you have to go to the Morgan Library!! it's beautiful and if you love books (which I am sure you all do) then you would want to live there!!

message 16: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Haha Fiona, sorry.....I have nothing against English people....sort of:-) But after living a year and a half in Nottingham and the same time in London, I got so fed up, angry and so on with experiencing daily the rudness, lack of manners and how dirty English people can be.... . But relax, I also know there are English people who aren't like that...I just whished I would have seen more of them daily.

I loved The V&A too, just as the science museum. I even got my boyfriend going to the science museum and on his own!!!!!! They ahd an exhibition of computer games since they have been made...which explains everything...how would I get him going otherwise, on his own and in a museum....:-)

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments The Brooklyn Museum had an awesome exhibition on Graffitti.

My fave tho was the exhibition on the Maya Indians. I don't know what it is about them but I love them!!!

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments BTW I have never been to England but my hubby lived there for over a year and no one would hire him. He lived there with his ex-girlfriend so I guess I should be grateful that he cames back to the states LOL

He didn't like it there much either because he said they had "a different kind of humor" and "warm beer" but I have never been soooo.....

message 19: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments I'm lucky enough to live right outside DC, so I get plently of opportunities to visit the Smithsonian museums. Their newest, the Museum of the American Indian is fantastic. Best of all....they are free to get in to! The most fun museum I have ever been to though, is the International Spy Museum. It is not a subject I thought I would be the list bit interested in, but it is fascinating. And soooo worth the steep ($14 last time I went) admission fee.