The Last Mughal: The Fall Of A Dynasty, Delhi, 1857 The Last Mughal discussion

typo error or...

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scorpiogibran (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new) - added it

Scorpiogibran There are few typo errors, I believe, otherwise it's a gross misrepresentation of facts.

message 2: by Sarad (new) - added it

Sarad Pradhan I enjoyed the book. Being a student of India history, it gives me insight of Sepoy Mutiny that took place in 1857. I don't think the writer tampers the fact.

Jaime I also enjoyed this book. Though I felt sad at the shabby ending of one of the world's great dynasties. I never take a writer's words as gospel, but the book was factual and led to further research on my own.

message 4: by Sarad (new) - added it

Sarad Pradhan Whatever written there is true because he spent many years researching on this topic. As you said, it was saddest part of Mughal history, the man whose ancestors controlled almost all parts of India once reduced to penury and died in exile: humiliated and without his friends and family.

Jaime I wonder if anyone is working on bringing Bahadur Shah Zafar II, last of Mughals, back home. Surely not a top priority among the more important trials and tribulations that beset us. But at least this book made sure he will not be forgotten, at least to me.

Rajat The Last Mughal is insightful. I am not a student of history, but what impressed me about the book is it helps one understand the nature of Political power and what drives governance. The real seat of power for any governance (be it a dynastic ruler or a democratically elected government) seems to be the economic and military might it has to it's command. The same happened to the Mughals..once they lost the military and economic might they had, they were just symbolic rulers of Hindustan. The Sepoys did try create a cohesive military option under the leadership of the symbolic ruler, however lack of clear strategy and leadership failed the attempt. There is a lot to learn from the annals of history and this book just re-emphasizes the fact.

Feroz Hameed I Have been an ardent fan 0f Darymple and this book happens to be my first read. This is a magnificent book . The mutiny of 1857 in Bahadur shah zafar's context, Darymple explains his poetic and artistic brilliance and the sad end to one of the greatest dynasties of the world ,the book clears a lot of doubts one has about the mutiny of 1857 and why it completely failed. Whatever else may be his faults, no one can accuse Zafar of religious bigotry. For the 3-4 months when he held any real power, he comes out to be a sensitive person extremely respectful of the religious sensibilities of his Hindu subjects. When radical Wahabis tried to convert it into a war between “believers” and “non-believers”, he does not hesitate to prescribe death penalty to them.
You could share the grief of Bahadur Shah Zafar as the helpless soul who saw his sons and empire going down in front of his eyes.
And you won’t miss the fact that we lost a great cause and the war due to a complete lack of discipline and unity...Must read for everyone who wants to have a better understanding of the history of India.