British Literature discussion

Current Book Discussions > Sense and Sensibility

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
It seems that this is our first choice. Once you have something to add to this discussion, please do.

message 2: by Sadie (new)

Sadie I am reading this with my husband and we are about 1/4 into it. I'm liking it so far, but my husband isn't too thrilled because he can't stand the Mrs. Dashwood, the stepson's wife. He says people like her shouldn't have money. I told him that obviously this book is good if he has such strong feelings towards a fictional character! :)

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
I just finished the book, but I'll make sure I don't say any spoilers. Sometimes it's difficult for me to get into Jane Austin's books. I found this one to be the most difficult. Perhaps because it's hard for me to relate to women just chasing around men all day and having their whole lives dependent on who they marry. It's a little annoying at times. I am happy to have read this book though. Reading Jane Austin allows you to take a peak at a different time and even women's history. I definitely enjoyed it for that aspect.

I watched the movie after finishing the book and all I have to say is that I could not get into Emma Thompson playing Elinor. Emma Thompson was too old to play her. It made it difficult for me to relate the character I imagined while reading the book and the one on the screen.

message 4: by Sadie (new)

Sadie I haven't read this book before, but I have seen the movie and loved it. I agree with you about Emma Thompson, now knowing how young Elinor is in the book, it wasn't the right casting..but with that I am reading the book with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet in their roles in my head.

message 5: by Sadie (new)

Sadie I just finished the book. I agree with you, Sara, about it hard to get into. I did find it slow at times and I couldn't quite feel for the characters as much as I normally can. Overall, I thought it was a good book.