Chicks On Lit discussion

I challenge you

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Yeah that's right I said "challenge" are you up to it?

I want you to find a copy of a book that you love, or a copy of a book that has some meaning to you.
Then I want you to write an inscription inside it, or maybe with a note placed in it. Something along these lines but you of course can use your own.

"This book wasn't lost, or forgotten, you didn't find it, it found you. I left this book here knowing it would find it's way to the right person. Take time today to read."

Maybe you want to sign your name, maybe you don't. Maybe you want to leave your email or maybe a link to goodreads and the chicks.

Regardless, take the book with the note or inscription and leave it someplace that calls to you.
The bus?
The doctors office?
The grocery store?
McDonalds?
A park bench?

Come back and tell us about your adventure.

I challenge you!

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli I love that Tera......LOVE it. Great idea!!

message 3: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments great idea, Tera!
I can see how this really could be a challenge because I know I am attatched to my favorite books and couldn't possibly fathom the idea of LEAVING them in public somewhere, hoping the right person would come along and give it a good home... But I (almost) never refuse a challenge- you're on!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments Oh, hells yeah!!!! What a great idea!!!!!!!!!

message 5: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments Isn't there a site that already promotes this? bookcrossings.com or something like that?

I love this idea. I already loan out my books though to multiple people. Maybe next time I'll keep one back and follow that idea.

message 6: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
i dont know there might be. im sure im not terribly original in my ideas. I was actually thinking of the john cusak movie Serendipty? And I dont even know why because Ive seen it once and it was years ago. But I think there was something kind of like that in there.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 467 comments I thought of Serendipity when I read your first post, Tera. I'm glad you didn't challenge us to see whether the book ever comes back! :)

message 8: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) I'm going to do it! I'm not sure which book or where, but I'm going to do it for sure! This is such a great idea.

message 9: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Sep 09, 2008 12:17PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Great idea Tera! How about adding "COL" somewhere on the page of the inscription ~ if this catches on, our books could make their way around to one another and though we may not know specifically who, we'd know it used to belong to a COL!!!

message 10: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments I LOVE this idea, Tera! Thanks!

message 11: by April (new)

April (contusions96) Great idea! I don't know which book to part with though!

message 12: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 99 comments Yes, Peanut, it's bookcrossing.com

It's a great idea and quite fun. The books there are given ID #'s with the hope that whoever picks up the book will make a journal entry so you can see all the places it's been.

I find it hard to 'wild release' books I'm fond of though...I'd rather give to someone I know will enjoy it. I'm weird...I feel like the characters are friends/family and want to be sure they're cared for.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments That reminds me of something my daughter used to do - she'd log her dollar bills in to wheresgeorge.com and look back to see where they went after.

I like this idea too, and I think it would be neat to leave inspirational books - something that would really motivate someone to change the world for the better, and see how it multiplies (kind of like the pay it forward concept from the movie / book).

message 14: by Holli (new)

Holli I've been trying to decide what book I can part with to do this....that seems to be the biggest challenge so far. I'd love to do this with "Conversations With God" as I truly believe that book finds YOU when you need it most. It woudl fit right in with this concept. Maybe I'll go buy a paperback copy of it and do that the next time I happen to go to the doctor's office or the next restaurant I'm in for lunch.

message 15: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) Tera - great idea! i already love lending my books to people and i love even more when they enjoy them as much as me!