Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Helpful Stuff > How to find hard-to-find books...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Kim (kimbobo) [http://www.worldcat.org]

It will check your local libraries and will tell you if they have it!

message 2: by Clayton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Clayton | 4 comments Thanks, will have to take a look at it. Just got my copy of 1001 books....today. There are some I am definitely going to have to hunt for in Alabama.

message 3: by Chel (new)

Chel | 376 comments Amazon and Half-Price Books are two of my favorites and I include ebooks for the Kindle, especially nice for older, larger works. I found a complete set of Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past at Half-Price books for $20.00 brand new, in mint condition about two weeks ago.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 154 comments Wow chel..thats sounds like a real bargain!

message 5: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 08, 2011 07:03AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I can usually find what I want at Alibris.com. They have one new copy of Remembrance of Things Past for $8.01, and then they jump to $35.00+. I see they have some hardbacks of this in Very Good condition for $4.99.

message 6: by Katie ATX (new)

Katie ATX (katieatx) | 74 comments You can also try paperbackswap. That's where I get most of my books.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 352 comments or your local library can put orders out for inter library loans if it isn't in your county's library system. I use this all the time! Then you can also check out local secondhand book stores. We have several here, & they are DIRT cheap. Big Lots usually has dirt cheap books too, & ebay has a books section that I have seen things go for pennies plus shipping.

message 8: by Chel (new)

Chel | 376 comments Mandy wrote: "Wow chel..thats sounds like a real bargain!"

Yes, I was very happy with this find!

message 9: by Chel (new)

Chel | 376 comments That same day I also bought the four volume In Search of Lost Time by Powell (the British Proust) for about $5.00 per volume in very good condition.

message 10: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 230 comments If anyone has trouble finding Land by Korean author Kyong-Ni Park, I just found out that you can order it through UNESCO publishing: http://publishing.unesco.org/details....
On amazon I can't find it for less than 127€. Through Unesco publishing it's 27 plus shipping. Still a lot for just one book, but a lot less than on amazon!

message 11: by Arukiyomi (new)

Arukiyomi | 258 comments good info Sandi... but what language is that edition in?

message 12: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 230 comments It doesn't say on the Unesco page, but if you search the ISBN on worldcat (or on amazon) it says it's in English: http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=978-...

message 13: by Katie ATX (new)

Katie ATX (katieatx) | 74 comments I found a shop here in Austin that sells library copies of books when the library can't use them (they have too many copies). Paperbacks are $1 and hardbacks are $2. So you might see what the library in your area does with books they no longer need. Or if you live near Austin: http://www.recycledreads.org/

message 14: by Arukiyomi (new)

Arukiyomi | 258 comments oh yeah... I was thinking of the Taebek Mountains which is only, as yet, in French or Korean.

message 15: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 230 comments Arukiyomi wrote: "oh yeah... I was thinking of the Taebek Mountains which is only, as yet, in French or Korean."

That's true, unfortunately. A shame that the Unesco translation project ran out of funds in 2005, I'm sure they would have done the Taebek Mountains eventually...

message 16: by Pilvinetaevas (new)

Pilvinetaevas | 4 comments www.theeuropeanlibrary.org

maybe this will help

message 17: by Tara (new)

Tara A (quartinsession) | 59 comments Arukiyomi wrote: "oh yeah... I was thinking of the Taebek Mountains which is only, as yet, in French or Korean."

I just stumbled upon this link, which says the first volume is due to be completed by this October:

http://knowledgepen.wordpress.com/201...

Don't know it's legit, but....good news if so! Would save me some heavy reading in my second language (French).

message 18: by Julie (last edited Jul 03, 2012 11:51AM) (new)

Julie openlibrary.org is a great place to find out of date or pre-1923 to download for free!! It's super easy, if you have a kindle you just find your book ( has to be old) to be free however you just click on the kindle link and its in your kindle. Its awesome!

message 19: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 230 comments Tara, thanks for sharing. That's awesome news!

message 20: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 683 comments Handed a list of 77 books to a guy who owns a second hand bookshop, I'll see how he gets on.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Deanne wrote: "Handed a list of 77 books to a guy who owns a second hand bookshop, I'll see how he gets on."

You'll be his favorite customer!

Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Land (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Pak Kyongni (other topics)