Jack the Ripper discussion

Hello All

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Terry (tbosky) | 5 comments Mod
I'm testing the waters to see if there are any other Ripperologists out there.

message 2: by Terry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Terry (tbosky) | 5 comments Mod
Okay, I sent some invites out (rather cumbersome). Hopefully this place picks up.

message 3: by Selby (new)

Selby Parker (goodreadcomprofileselbyparker) | 2 comments I added my novel Scopophilia to your collection of reads on Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel Murders. After reseraching the Ripper murders, I concluded contrary to other researchers that the murders were not committed on site, but elsewhere and the bodies were laid out for the public's eye.
Jack the Ripper Case Book offers up a number of suspects, but fails to offer any investigative details of one suspect in particular, while citing his literary achievements.
I reviewed his memoirs and that of the Woolf Family and found that he had the means, opportunity and motive for the killings, being a former tutor of Prince Albert Victor, Grandson of Queen Victoria.
Scopophilia offers multiple themes to maintain reader interest other than the Ripper murders.

message 4: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 2 comments Interesting, but Im still of the mind that he was Tumblety, Donston Stephenson, or the more obvious George Chapman (Severin Klosowski). Its been a while since Ive studied The Ripper or been on casebook.org for that matter so Im a little rusty.

message 5: by Rick (new)

Rick (rickmattix) | 8 comments I've got serious doubts about Tumblety and Stephenson, tho both were obviously disturbed and were at least contemporary suspects.

Chapman/Klosowski was a proven murderer whom Abberline later leaned towards and I think does deserve more serious consideration than he normally gets.

message 6: by Ubik (new)

Ubik | 2 comments Well, Chapman is really my number one realistic suspect while Stephenson is a "pet" suspect. I havent studied in a while as I said, but I can recall trying to work out the times and reasons for him leaving the mental ward, etc etc. On casebook we were trying to figure out if he was a voluntary or his stay was mandatory, where he would keep his instruments, etc etc. Its unlikely, but fun to speculate on him.

Chapman on the other hand just seems to easy (except for the switching kill methods part) and Tumblety...I cant recall why I "liked" him...I'll have to look him up again. Perhaps I disregarded hum already and forgot....

message 7: by Rick (new)

Rick (rickmattix) | 8 comments Doesn't seem to have been speculated on much but I've often wondered if the Ripper wasn't also responsible for the Thames "Torso Murders" during the same period.

message 8: by Rose (new)

Rose (rosekeefe) | 2 comments I don't know if anyone on this group subscribes to the Rippercast podcast series, which is hosted by Jonathan Menges, but episode 23 was about the Thames Torso Murders. The guest is Debra Arif, who's been researching the Torso murders of 1887-89 in great detail. She provides some intriguing pieces of information and possible connections between the Ripper crimes and these dismemberments.

message 9: by Rick (new)

Rick (rickmattix) | 8 comments Sounds interesting, Rose. Where can we hear this series?

message 11: by Jonathan (last edited Jan 19, 2009 02:48PM) (new)

Jonathan Menges | 1 comments FYI, The url of the podcast has changed since it moved servers and websites. It can now be found at www.casebook.org/podcast

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 3 comments Does anyone have any opinions as to what are the best treatments of the Ripper in both fiction (short story collections etc) and Non-fiction?