Labyrinth (Languedoc, #1) Labyrinth discussion

as i read

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb having a hard time staying focused. maybe as i get further into the book; i've only read two chapters. the first chapter was definitely intriguing, tho.

message 2: by Margo (last edited Apr 02, 2008 04:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Margo I'm about 100 pages in and am totally digging it so far. I love all the details and the interjunction between the two time periods. I love detective novels and I feel lik ei have to pay a lot of attention to all the details so I don't miss anything.

Nicky I only started to like it more than halfway through..

Tessa I read this back in 2009. Although I did like the book I found it very hard to follow. The story didn't really grab my interest until the second half of the book.

Terrie I agree it's a slow starter but worth sticking with. I put it down a few times before I really got into it.

Nikita Fiji the second half was indeed very interesting bt sumhow...i found the end very confusing.

message 7: by Sim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sim Found this book hard going yet I did enjoy it. Not an easy read.

Kathy Duffy Thomas I thought it was a good book. I had to do a little historical research, but that's me. Sepulchre is also good, and may be easier to follow. I'm looking forward to reading the third, although I can't think of the name.

Claire Definitely worth sticking with, love all of Kate Mosse's books.

Laura Hayward I didn't really get into this book untill a few chapters in, and then i couldn't put it down!!! Now one of my favourite books, and Kate Mosses other books, Sepulcher and Wnter Ghosts are also amazing! I can't wait till Citidel comes out!!!

Donna Completely agree Laura...! I think she is an brilliant author

message 12: by Hollie (new) - added it

Hollie I keep getting really into it and then losing interest again. Sometimes it seems to really drag and maybe there's a bit too much detail in parts. I am hopefully going to get this books finished sometime soon as I'm assuming that it's going to get better from all the good reviews I've read about it.

message 13: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark I stopped reading this book because it really taxed my patience. Having read a lot more about the cult of the Cathars I must admit I want to return to the novel. And since it is still parked in my bookcase it will be on my vacationlist.

Aanchal Tulsiani This book started out okay, but it dragged on after the middle. The ending was pathetic and i cant really remember the plot now either

Chris It is very slow going. I just felt that the storyline couldn't decide whether it was primarily a romance, a historical novel, a fantasy or SF, and that the author's love of Cathar history and the area around Carcassonne blinded her to the requirements of a good novel, which are principally to engage the reader.

I found I hardly cared about any of the protagonists, though I really did try, and that it felt like a botched attempt to combine a Dan Brown mystery and a Michael Crichton science fantasy. A pity, as Kate Mosse is a litcrit broadcaster and I expected more from her.

Andrew Weaver I really enjoyed this book, so much so that I bought it in French for somebody in France and they thought the book was excellent.
Thank you Kate Mosse

message 17: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I enjoyed the book the first time I read it, the second time I loved it! I found elements in it that I had not recognised on the first read. I have read it several times now and now Sepulchre and Citadel are published they link together in a fascinating way so it's worth sticking at it

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Kate Mosse uses a lot of simile and metaphors which ruins the book. I understand that she is trying to be descriptive but it is too much.

Zaryna This book was very complicated when reading it at some points but it was very interesting! i still love the end and since then ive read it again! i love this book and im reading Sepulchre now! I also love how KAte puts part French into the book as i can read and understand it! Its an AWESOME book and i recruitment reading it! :)

Aaron Carson I liked it, but frankly thought it was an airplane novel.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Aaron wrote: "I liked it, but frankly thought it was an airplane novel."

Rather heavy, literally speaking, for an airplane.... ;) (Of course, I read the hardcover version.)

I didn't think it was epic or that her writing was the best I've read. But, I have to say I was taken by the historical part of it. It's been forever since I read it, but there's a part about some of the French, if they were considered French, being more open to religious diversity, right? Then, someone came in, was it a de Montfort, and killed all of those people? I knew of a de Montfort through Sharon Kay Penman and English history. I think this was his father or something. At any rate, I didn't know that happened, specifically, and did some research after reading the novel. For that reason, it was a worthy read for me. (I knew about religious persecution, etc.... I just didn't know about that particular piece of history.)

Aaron Carson Admittedly I read it close on the heals of The Book of Shadows which I found to be considerably heavier. For me this one was a bit like The da Vinci code with a Cathar twist. But as I say, it might have been a bit like having carrot cake after pecan pie and calling the carrot cake "not all that sweet".

Truls Osmundsen Tessa wrote: "I read this back in 2009. Although I did like the book I found it very hard to follow. The story didn't really grab my interest until the second half of the book."

I totally agre. The main book is in the back half. The first part isnt as polished...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Aaron wrote: "Admittedly I read it close on the heals of The Book of Shadows which I found to be considerably heavier. For me this one was a bit like The da Vinci code with a Cathar twist. But as I..."

You might be right! It might be heavier! ;)

Catskill Julie It was just fine in the car on a road trip. Didn't require much from the listener. No harm if I spaced out here or there.

Diana Montes Deb wrote: "having a hard time staying focused. maybe as i get further into the book; i've only read two chapters. the first chapter was definitely intriguing, tho."

I don't know... when I was reading it... all the sudden I realized I was at page 700 and had no idea what the book was about...