Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Listopia question

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) | 40 comments I was wondering if it is possible to combine books on listopia?

For example, I saw on this list http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/57... that 100 Years of Solitude is listed twice (different editions). Can anything be done about it?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44215 comments Mod
Leila, librarians can indeed merge duplicates on lists. I took care of this one, but for future reference, you:

* click on the "edit" link under the list's sub-topic
* click "check for duplicates"

Et voila!

message 3: by Leila (new)

Leila (leilasbooks) | 40 comments Ah, thank you! I didn't see the 'check for duplicates' feature :) But thank you! :)

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It's hard to find unless you know where to look for it.

message 5: by JG (Introverted Reader) (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:16AM) (new)

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments I'm a wimp. I like to have other librarians' opinions for backup before I do something that seems kind of big.

It makes sense to me that a book that has been released can be deleted from a list entitled "Best Upcoming YA Releases." Does that make sense to everyone else? I don't want the 52 Twilight fans who voted for Breaking Dawn upset with me!

Actually, with that many votes, I don't know if I can delete it. That might be a job for a superlibrarian.

Here's a link, just in case.
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/15...

message 6: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments While you're at it, the book 'The Singing' on the same list (no. 7) has also been released already...

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 147 comments I looked at that list last week and thought the same thing, JG. It makes sense to me as well that anything that has been released doesn't really belong on the list anymore, but I was also too wimpy to go for it :)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments It's actually a strange idea for a list since books will continually have to be removed from it. I would never add a book to it and I wouldn't have thought of creating it.

message 9: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 27 comments It might be easier to change the title of the list. Just a thought.

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments Good idea, Rowena. Any suggestions for a new name? I thought about "Best YA Releases of 2008". But does that change the purpose of the list a little?

message 11: by Gina (new)

Gina (accesette) | 8 comments It does seem like an odd list. After all, how do you know it's going to be a good book before it's released? Wouldn't everything on the list be there because of hype? Most looked forward to release seems a more appropriate title. But since it continuously has to be weeded for books already released, this list is going to need constant attention. Seems to me to be more work than it's worth.

message 12: by Sally (new)

Sally | 30 comments I think I'm in the minority when I say "leave the already released books." The list measures anticipation, and just because the book is already released doesn't mean it *wasn't* anticipated, right?! Besides, there are varying release dates. For example, The Singing has been released in the UK and Australian markets, but not in the US. I'm still waiting for it!

Besides, Listopia is all about opinions, not data, like the book description, ISBN and correct author/title information. Let the people regulate the lists! Let them eat cake! lol ;)

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Gina, I'll bet many members who've added a book to that list have already read the book, in an advanced readers' copy edition or proof.

Sally, Oh, I'm not saying the list should be deleted; I just think it's a peculiar list. And you do have a point regarding this specific list.

But I don't want the classics listed as 20th century books or 21st century books listed as 20th century, etc. Those, librarians should be able to edit/change/move/remove.

message 14: by vicki_girl (last edited Sep 08, 2008 06:08AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments "For example, The Singing has been released in the UK and Australian markets, but not in the US. I'm still waiting for it!"

Oops. When I saw it listed on Amazon/US I figured it was out already. I went and double-checked the publisher info, and I see that it's the UK edition listed there...sorry.

message 15: by Gina (new)

Gina (accesette) | 8 comments I hadn't thought about advanced copies Lisa. D'Oh! That makes much more sense. :)

message 16: by Sally (new)

Sally | 30 comments It does make sense to change the title of the list to reflect the year. That way, it doesn't become the Neverending List of Books Coming Out. And some books will be on more than one year's list, since they have staggered release dates. Just a thought!

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 147 comments I don't think it's really a matter of whether they've read the books, advanced copies or not. It's called "Most Exciting Upcoming YA Releases," and a lot of the most popular ones are additions to already existing series, and many of the rest are from well-liked YA authors. I got the impression that these were just books people were excited to read, and looking forward to the release of. Whether they actually turn out to be "good" books is another matter ;)

message 18: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments Rivka, going back to messages 1-2 on this thread, I've encountered a situation identical to Leila's --two editions on the same book cited on a list. My question is, where do I find "the lists sub-topic" to click on "edit" in the first place? I've gone over that list's page from top to bottom, and found no link that remotely resembles "sub-topic."

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Link to the list, please?

message 20: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments Rivka, that link is:
/list/show/1371.Recommended_Historical_Fiction#myVotes

The book that is listed twice is The Concubine by Norah Lofts, BTW.

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Ok, I see
This is the list for your recommendations of good fiction set in a time before the author was born --NOT any old book set in a time that's now past! :-) Okay? (edit)

It says 0 duplicates found?

. . . Aha! Merged alternate author names and combined books, and now it found and fixed one duplicate.

message 22: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments Yes, that's the list. Thanks a bunch, Rivka --you're a jewel!

message 23: by Werner (last edited Feb 23, 2009 07:31AM) (new)

Werner | 90 comments Rivka, I've run into the same problem with the other list I moderate; the duplicated book there is The Screwtape Letters, which appears in both the #1 and #3 positions. That link is:
list/show/946.1000_Books_Besides_the_Bible_Every_Christian_Should_Read

Also, the numbering on this list shows an anomaly that wasn't there before. In several cases, more than one book shares the same ordinal number on the list --in fact, we have no less than 25 #1s, though their "scores" range from 2,079 to 413. Is the system experiencing a glitch in the way it calculates the #1, #2, etc. statuses?

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments There have been problems in listopia. If you're still seeing crazy stuff, you should report it in this Feedback thread.

message 25: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments Thanks, J.G. Will do!

message 26: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The list actually had 6 duplicates. All gone. But yeah, let MICHAEL know in the thread JG linked about the numbering weirdnesses.

message 27: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments Thanks a bunch, Rivka! And I did contact Michael by message to report the numbering anomalies. He knows about the problem (it's on other lists, too), and is working on a fix, but that will take at least a couple of weeks.

I still can't find the "edit" link on the list, or the "sub-topics" that it's located under, though I've gone over the page with a fine-tooth comb. (I did find "flag as offensive" beneath the "tags," but that's not what we're looking for.) I'd love to find that, because there are several Bible translations cited on the list which should be deleted (the list's title, after all, specifies that it's for books besides the Bible :-)), and it's not fair to you to impose on your good nature by asking you to keep on doing jobs that I should be doing!

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It's not a problem. :)

But I'll take a screenshot and email it to the address on your website.

message 29: by Werner (new)

Werner | 90 comments Thanks, Rivka! I've found the link now.

For those of you who may be as much in the dark as I was, I'll make my own stab at explaining where this is: it's the small "edit" link near the top of the first page of a list, right after the list description under the title. You may have assumed that this is only for editing the description itself. It does let you do that; but it also reveals links for removing duplicates and deleting listed books!

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Kulman (andreakulman) | 8 comments Thanks for explaining, Werner. I always seem to be in the dark... :~)