The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Page to Stage

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Discuss differences between the novels Jekyll & Hyde and Wicked and their Broadway musical counterpoints here.

message 2: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Meghan Ok, I did, and then my computer froze. And I'm not writing it all out again.

But I was just wondering. Sarah, why don't you start a group called this? I bet there would a ton of people out there (besides this group) who would like to discuss this.

Does anyone know if there is a similar one with movies? Since there seem to be no new ideas in Hollywood, the movies these days are almost all based on some book. It'd be fun to compare and contrast (praise and pan) a director (or if there are multiple versions, directors) concepts of beloved stories.

(Sorry this is unrelated to the RGBC. Although I can say the GGs did enjoy their movies as well as their books!)

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I thought about it, but I don't think I'd want to put the time into moderating it.

So, some obvious differences to start with...

Jekyll/Hyde: Love triangle (quadrangle?) with Henry, Lucy, and Emma not in the novel

Wicked: Love triangle with Glinda/Fiyero/Elphaba exaggerated greatly in the musical. Madame Morrible's character is very different also. Boq's character in the musical is much smaller. Less politics, much lighter. More focus on the friendship between Galinda and Elphaba in the musical.

message 4: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Meghan And Nessarose didn't turn Boq into the Woodsman in the book...and Fiyero didn't become the Scarecrow...and the cowardly lion wasn't the lion Elphaba rescued at the University. That was probably my biggest complaint about the musical. It's very "oz" but not true to the book.

Galinda, to me, had a much smaller role in the book. She didn't seem as bright (smart) as she was in the musical.

message 5: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new)

Tiffany Even my 4-year-old noticed the discrepancy in the story line with The Wicked Witch and Fiyero/Scarecrow. She asked why she set the Scarecrow on fire in the movie, if in the musical the two of them were friends. lol

message 6: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Meghan And this is why kids are awesome. It is also why I could never play side B of my Wizard of Oz record...it had the scary monkeys and the Scarecrow "incident" on that side! So I did appreciate the "revised" version of the musical. heh

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I took Meghan's advice and started a Page to Stage group! Anyone who's interested please join. It's a discussion group rather than a book club, so there won't be any extra reading requirements.

message 8: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Meghan Yay! Books! Theater! Now if we could only incorporate food, traveling and boys (I mean shopping) into this mix, you've pretty much covered my favorite things. heh

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Well, we could TRAVEL to each other's towns, go SHOPPING at the mall, while EATING and checking out BOYS. And along with the food, we'll throw in some coffee and wine and incorporate all MY favorite things. Heh.

message 10: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:29PM) (new)

Meghan Shopping for books...and GG dvds...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Sarah:

I am definitely interested in joining the Page to Stage group. Thanks for starting it...where do I go to find it? I am still new to this site. Will be under the groups section?

Thanks,

Nicole

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Never mind...found it and am officially a member. Looking forward to it!