Bloggers Unite™ discussion

Blogs... > Do you follow a reviewing format for your blog?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bobbie (last edited Aug 23, 2008 09:29PM) (new)

Bobbie  Crawford | 197 comments Mod
I have to admit, I don't follow a specific format for my book reviews.
I wouldn’t mind following one though.
I just write what interests me without giving too much detail. I don't like to have the storyline described to me too much so I try to write accordingly.
I like teasers from the book of course, but I don’t want the story given away before I’ve read it.

Do you follow a book review format and if not, how do you decide what to write in your review?

message 2: by Judi (new)

Judi (sidhevicious) | 3 comments I always post the back cover blurb, so that gives you the same info as if you had picked up the book and turned it over to read the back. Then I just write what I liked about it, or rarely, what didn't work for me.

I'm not into those book reviews that post spoilers or pick the entire book apart so bad that there's no point in reading it afterwards. We all have different tastes, so I always try to leave it up to my readers to decide if they are interested or not, based on the book itself and not just MY opinion.

message 3: by Julianna (last edited Aug 24, 2008 10:13AM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 28 comments Sometimes I find that the cover blurb is either inaccurate or inadequate to really describe the book and I have concerns with copyright issues as well, so I always write my own fairly detailed synopsis of the book. I may give some minor plot points, but nothing that isn't going to be fairly obvious to most readers. I never give away plot twists and endings though. I hate spoilers and won't do that to my readers even though I know that some people, strangely enough, do like them.

Then I write a detailed 3-5 paragraph review, depending on the complexity of the book. I always include all the things that I liked/disliked about the book and why, as well as character sketches, and other books in the series (if it is part of one). Even if there are things I disliked about a book, I try to word it as nicely as possible, making it clear that this is only my opinion and others may think differently. No matter how much I disliked a book, I always try to find some positive things to say too. Anyway, this may be long to some people but I'm a very analytical and detail-oriented person, and based on feedback, I know that some people prefer this writing style.

I also include info such as a star rating, book series and # if it is part of a series, recommendations if it reminded me of some other book(s) I've read, a link to the author's website and more, but I have a database driven website that is more versatile than a blog.

message 4: by Kay (new)

Kay (kaylovespurple) | 4 comments I have sort of a set format for book reviews, as follows: first I mention some details, like genre, characters names, time and place. Then I write a summary of the book (doing my best to exclude spoilers).

Next, I add a paragraph about characters: what I think of them, who I liked most and why. I then write any other thoughts I have on the book, including some quotes when I have any that I really liked.

I close my review by writing what I liked most and least about the book, and stating who do I recommend it to. If I have written other reviews of books of the author I add the links at the end, and that's it :)

message 5: by Nicole | The Readerly Report (last edited May 07, 2009 06:01AM) (new)

Nicole | The Readerly Report (nicolebonia) I tend to do my own 1 paragraph summary of the book that gives an overview without any spoilers and then I use the next 3-5 paragraphs to talk a little bit about the characters, my thoughts on the book and the writing style. Recently I have begun to include a bio and photo of the author along with any relevant links that I have found that might be of interest to those reading the book.

I always include information about the publisher, publication date, and the format and number of pages that I read.

message 6: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I usually post the book blurb about what the story is about, post the cover of the book and a link to the author's website. From there, my book reviews usually goes depending on how much I have to say about the novel, what aspects of it I found especially interesting. Usually I try to comment on the plot, the character development and the themes that emerge but yeah, it really all depends. I've also started rating the books insce I do that here on GR (which I then included in all my previous entries).

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I post reviews here as I read the books, and put a monthly round-up on my blog (using the code from Goodreads, which includes the cover, title & author, my star rating, and my review).

I tend to write fairly short reviews & I don't follow a formula, I just write whatever comes to mind. This might include things like:
were the characters sympathetic and believable?
how was the setting?
did it read fast or slow?
did it end well?

I will comment on anything else that particularly stands out, and also give an overall impression of my enjoyment. I note things like bad typos/formatting or explicit scenes, that might help a reader decide whether the book is for them.

message 8: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Griffin (authorgeraldggriffin) | 161 comments Rachel wrote:1 "I post reviews here as I read the books, and put a monthly round-up on my blog (using the code from Goodreads, which includes the cover, title & author, my star rating, and my review).

I tend to w..."

Rachel, consider doing a review of my novel OF GOOD AND EVIL. Thanks

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) I do, to me it's easier to write up a review if I have a 'form'. Not to mention I find it easier to read and look at when I preview it. I like when other blogs have some type of format too.
Mine usually goes like this:
-Cover
-Publisher, Page Count, Rating
-Blurb
-Review

message 10: by Trace (last edited Oct 29, 2011 02:13AM) (new)

Trace (runetracey) Ive never follow any format,
I include the cover, I do add a bit about the story, and try not to give too much away. I mention what i liked about a book and what I didnt like. And I rate a book. But thats about it really. Sometimes it is hard because if you say too much about the storyline you give too much away - LOL

message 11: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Smith I have a flexible 'format' I try to stick with. Makes it easier for me write, I have a map of where I'm headed. And, I like the look of all my posts being similar.

Here is a rundown of what I do:
-Picture of the cover
-Link to the authour's website/wiki page
-Why I read the book, where I got the book and a brief opinion (like or not like)
-Summary of the story
-Then I pick out parts of the book (plot, characters, tone, style, etc) that really stood out for me and I comment
-I try to find a Canadian connection and comment on that
-Give the book a rating (Read or Do Not Read)
-Often I will follow the rating with some humourous note on the book.

Each 'section' is very different depending on the book, sometimes the summary is big, sometimes my personal connection with the book is big. It works for me.

message 12: by Kristi (last edited Feb 08, 2012 10:22AM) (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Hmmm, a format? Kinda, sorta, but not really. I do try to stick to ...nah. The only thing I do consistently each time is I include a picture of the book and add it's "vitals" below it (ISBN, Publisher, Price) as they cover says the title and author.

As for the actual review itself, I've found each book "speaks" to me differently as to what I should write. There's something unique about each book as to what caught my attention, what I enjoyed, what didn't work out so well, etc.

I also throw my rating icon throughout the review, and how many icons depends on the rating it received.

I don't think that qualifies as a format to follow though. No? I didn't think so. ;)