Writing Passionates discussion

1st Books: Getting Published

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Meg (last edited Aug 22, 2008 04:10PM) (new)

Meg Clayton (megwaiteclayton) One of the things I always wanted to know when I first started writing was how people get to being published, whether it be shorter pieces or books. For me, the answer was that, with the exception of the first piece I published, a lot of rejection came first. When I redid my website (www.megwaiteclayton.com) in preparation for the release of my second novel, The Wednesday Sisters, I added a blog called 1st Books on which I guest host different writers, and the one thing that continues to amaze me is how even the "overnight successes" took years.

I'd love to hear stories of how others got into print, or what you are doing to try to get there.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

sheesh, I desperately want to get published, but I haven't really looked up into any publishing companies, and I'm kind of writing a query letter, like an outline, but I still need to read through my story a couple times to get it to it's fullest potential.

message 3: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
Hi Meg! ;D
Well... I've only finished writing two books in my entire life: one when I was thirteen, and one this summer (i'm almost sixteen now). The first one I didn't even try to get published because I was too intimidated by the idea, and it wasn't a very good book either--I should probably edit it some more. Again.
The second book that I wrote is a lot better, and I'm currently trying to get it published. So far I've only sent a query letter to one literary agent, and I'm still waiting to hear from her.
I know that it will take a long time to get published; I'm ready to face a lot of rejection. But I'm going to take it because writing is my life and it's what I love to do! So I'm not ever giving it up. ;D

message 4: by Lela (new)

Lela | 128 comments Good for you! I'm only fourteen but I'm writing a novel now too and I would like to think it's pretty good. I've been revising and revising. (If anybody wants to read the first couple chapters I've posted them under my writing and I'd love feedback) How long does it take to get a reply from a publisher? How long have you been waiting Brigid?

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Well it depends on the publisher/agent but it usually takes a couple months, i think? idk. i've only been waiting for about a month, and i haven't heard anything yet.
that's awesome that you're writing a book too! i'll have to check your writing out later... ;D

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg Clayton (megwaiteclayton) My experience with agents is that it can sometimes take a couple of months to hear from them on a query letter. Once you have an agent, how long it takes for them to hear from publishers depends in part on the agent. I personally would recommend sending queries to a number of agents at the same time. I personally don't know any writer who has agent representation who hasn't done this, including myself.

Standing to applaud everyone who is going through many drafts before they submit. That can be so hard to do, but it always shows.

message 7: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 2205 comments Mod
Brigid, which story?

message 8: by Brigid ✩ (new)

thanx for the advice meg!
seth-i'm trying to get soul stealer published

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg Clayton (megwaiteclayton) >Soul Stealer

Good title!

message 10: by Brigid ✩ (new)

thank u. :)

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) My friend is trying to get her book published. Haven't read it yet but *crosses fingers* Good luck Amanda!

message 12: by Brigid ✩ (new)

yay. good luck amanda! (whoever you are... XD)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

ya good luck to u too!!
Any word on that agent brigid?

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) brigid!!! i talked to my double english teacher for you!!

message 15: by Brigid ✩ (new)

cool! thanx! XD what'd she say?
and thanx cali... no i haven't heard anything yet.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) she said to email her:

rciardullo@forestparkschools.org

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

coolio!! that's exciting!

message 18: by Brigid ✩ (new)

okay i'll have to do that... thanks. ;D

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) mm-hm. np

message 20: by Brigid ✩ (new)

hmmm... err. what should i say? what exactly did you say about me? XD

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) i told her about your book and what it was about etc, and that you were looking to publish.

message 22: by Brigid ✩ (new)

okay. cool.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) mm-hm.

message 24: by Brigid ✩ (new)

just emailed her! ;D

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) yay!! what did you say??

message 26: by Brigid ✩ (new)

just that you told her about me and gave me her email, and that i was looking for advice about publishing.

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) ok. pretty straightforeward. shes reading twilight!!

message 28: by Brigid ✩ (new)

that's awesome!!! she has good taste in literature... heehee

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) yeah. shes borrowing eclipse from me. XD

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:16AM) (new)

cool!
grar. i still gotta read breaking dawn. stupid library...

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) youre kidding!! omg its amazing!!

message 32: by Brigid ✩ (new)

i know i know. everybody's read it except for me! i feel so left out! :(

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) thats okay, brigid. im just surprised you didnt buy it.

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (new)

i don't own the first three either...
idk. i don't really buy books. cuz i want to buy like a gazillion books, and i don't have all that much money. XD well except for now, cuz i just got a job...... but i like the library. XD except when i have to request stuff and it takes FOREVER to get there.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) yeah, i know what you mean. so i go to borders.

message 36: by Brigid ✩ (new)

i usually go to waldenbooks... which is like a part of borders i think. there's one in the center of town. me and my friends go there a lot. it's pretty small, but it's nice.

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) yeah, there isnt one near here. just borders.

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

i see.
there's also a barnes&noble, but it's farther away...

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerobins) yeah. i only go to borders cuz its within walking distance from my house. XD

message 40: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
lucky! we have to drive a half hour to the mall to get to any bookstore!

message 41: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
oh no, that's terrible!! i have a barnes and noble walking distance from my house. it's heaven. XD lol XD

message 42: by Brigid ✩ (new)

that's so cool!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

lol

message 44: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
i know i love it!! XD lol

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish I could do that, my library's on a moving vehicle.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Wow sweet.

My library need to get books quicker. They still don't have MR 4 and when did it come out?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

idk, but I thought it was wierd to be honest, even though I luv the series to death!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the Twilight series, too! Yay! Oh, good luck, everyone! I'm not planning on publishing anything soon, but I want to. I'm currently an illustrator, though!

message 49: by Brigid ✩ (new)

ephona, omg don't even bother w/MR 4; it has like NOTHING to do with the series AT ALL. it's HORRIBLE! nothing happens in it, except for the flock goes off to antarctica to research penguins. ?????? !!!!!!!!!! WHAT?! :-/

message 50: by Brigid ✩ (new)

XD sorry

« previous 1