Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate Reading List

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I just joined this group of the same name, and was pleasantly suprised that some of my favorite books are on this list. They are included in the horror chapter but are there nonetheless.

Dead Until Dark by Charlenne Harris
Dead Witch Walking By Kim Harrison
Guilty Pleasures By Laurell K. Hamilton

In the romance section are some others I've seen mentioned here but haven't read yet:

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon
You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister

Now I have a whole new list of books to read!

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth I’ve perused this book at the bookstore and thought it seemed like an excellent jumping off point for exploring genres I’m not familiar with, but haven’t actually bought it.

A random person approached me at the bookstore the last time I was looking at it and she emphatically told me that she keeps it in her car and frequently carries it into thrift stores or used book stores to us as a reference. I thought that sounded like a great idea, especially for those unfamiliar genres because then she’s able to buy and try new books/authors without having to go totally overboard on the pocket book (also a bonus if the book doesn’t float your boat).

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 137 comments Am I missing something, or is that the actual title of a book? Has anyone taken a look at it? I'm curious if they have every genre in there.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa It is the title of the book. I've seen a copy and it's actually a great book. If you check out the goodreads group by the same title, you can see all the different genres listed in the book. I believe there are 19. Each book in each of the chapters has a decent description and it lets you know if it is part of a series. The group here on goodreads has been doing a book club and going by chapter/genre every month. It's pretty cool.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I have an Excel spreadsheet with all the books categorized if anyone is interested in it. Just send me an email with the email address you'd like me to send it to and I'd be happy to email it to you.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) you know, i've been debating that one myself.

i joined the "1001 books you must read before you die" group, also based off a book of the same name, a while ago. likewise, they have a monthly "book club" thing going, and i've found a couple of true gems out of that list. the rest, though, kinda crappy, as in unengaging plot or unlikable characters or both. i'm waffling on continuing with it, debating whether those few amazing wonderful fantastic books are worth wading through the "medicine" flavor of high/middlebrow lit junk of the rest of the list.

i've skimmed the books on the "idiot's guide" group page, and i rather like the way the book is arranged, and i rather like the books i've already read out of each category. AND the group seems to be well organized, probably because the book was well organized to begin with.

so what's the problem? books labeled "for dummies" or "idiots' guide" just rub me the wrong way. isn't there a less self-deprecating way to say "not intimidating snooty crap"?? does anyone else avoid the dummies/idiots books just on some overblown concept of principle, or is it just me?

message 7: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments You are not alone, Michelle :) I try to steer clear of anything with a pejorative label like that.

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Really, they're just primers or introductions on a subject, Michelle, but that's not nearly as successful a marketing gimmick as, say, Computers for Dummies, lol. The provocative title is good publicity. Let's face it though. Any subject on which you require a sixty second primer is usually precisely the topic which cannot be summed up adequately in sixty seconds if you want to accomplish anything, so those books have never been very useful to me except as a very vague introduction.

For my part, I just find these lists worthless as a whole. They just seem meaningless. Some Joe Schmo decides to write up the list of the books he thinks I should read by some date, based on criteria that makes not a lick of difference to me. For modern books, I much prefer recommendations from people who know my tastes or share my preferences and as for classics, we don't need a list for those. They're a matter of course.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

You Slay Me (other topics)