Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Default edition?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 6 comments I am wondering how the database chooses the default edition to show. I am looking at books by Dan Greenburg, and am having some problems with either simply an edition without cover art coming up as default (as in the Green Eggs and Dinosaurs shown on the previous list), or, on this page a non-english edition comes up as default (also without cover art!) (Cara! Meu Dentista Vira Monstro!).

So, is there a way to force a default edition to show up?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Julie, I believe it's supposed to be the edition with the most ratings.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 6 comments But that doesn't seem to be the case, here. The first book - Green Eggs and Dinosaurs - in my list has 0 ratings whereas another edition of that book - Green Eggs and Dinosaurs - has 8 ratings (and is the one with the cover art).

When I do a search for the book by name, I get the one with the ratings (and the cover art), but when I am looking at a list of titles by the author, then there are non-rated editions that show up in the list.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Aug 20, 2008 01:23PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Julie,

Here's the book/all editions page which does show the one with the ratings and cover art first:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/edition...

Let me do a search...

I got this page (uh oh a bug again, but the cover art ratings one shows):

http://www.goodreads.com/search/searc...

I'll need to post about the double vision in the Goodreads Feedback group.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments It's supposed to be the edition with the most ratings, but there's a bug on the author profile page where it's actually the one which was first entered into the Goodreads database. :(

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Ah. Thanks for clarifying Cait. Actually, when I searched the one with the most ratings did come up so I don't know why two people got different results.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 6 comments Ahhh... thanks, Cait. Now I understand! When I do a search I *do* get the edition with the most ratings, but not when I look on the author profile list.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie | 6 comments Ok, then I think I have managed to solve my problem (hoping I am not doing a major faux pas here...). I deleted the book with no cover and no ratings, then searched on that same ISBN to add the book back into the database, then recombined it with the other editions, and, voila! - the edition with the artwork is now the default showing up in the author listing!