Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There? discussion

What are you sewing right now? > The Quilt You Always Wanted to Make but Haven't Yet

Comments (showing 1-50 of 62) (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I have a Quilt Bucket List of sorts. I have quilts on there that I want to make before I can't quilt anymore...LOL.

One of those quilts is a Blooming 9-Patch.

Does anyone else have any quilts that they really want to make, haven't for whatever reason, but want to?

Sincerely,

Shannon

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Dukes | 11 comments I would love to make a double wedding ring, but as I am a hand piecer I don't know if that's even feasible.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Shannon wrote: "I have a Quilt Bucket List of sorts. I have quilts on there that I want to make before I can't quilt anymore...LOL.

One of those quilts is a Blooming 9-Patch.

Does anyone else have any quilt..."

I have a king size 4inch block size churn dash Civil War Fabrics that I have been working on for 5 years and of course it is on point. Do you think it is time?????

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) Well, shucks this is the first time I've seen this thread....

I love the idea of a Quilt Bucket list...I kind of do, too. Each book that I have has at least one quilt in it I want to make "someday". I really really really want to complete my projects that I have all of the fabric for and the pattern and they are nicely packaged in freezer bags. Oh how I want to finish those...I think working at the quilt store sometimes holds me back as I get involved in what's going on there...

I did a postage stamp quilt, Elizabeth and it took me three years. I made it queen size and I still love it and use it.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Kathryn,
I love the thought of your postage stamp quilt. You are giving me inspiration to get going again.

Started State Fair, last year's Benni Harper. I hope it gets better. I loved all the old ones but this is moving pretty slow. Maybe too many Scandi mysteries
(that I adore) are in my mind.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I have so many UFOs, PhDs...call them whatever. They amount to a bunch of unfinished projects. It's probably time to let them go.

I'm the worst. The owl quilt I posted a picture of still needs its binding finished. I finished another top and am piecing the backing. I've never gotten back to my embroidery. None of these quilts are on my Bucket list.

I'm looking forward to spring and summer. I sew more.

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy Iliff (JudyI) | 301 comments Mod
Shannon, I'm with you - I sew much more during the spring and summer. I haven't touched my machine since the beginning of January!

Elizabeth - what are the Scandi mysteries?

message 8: by Shannon (last edited Mar 18, 2011 07:26PM) (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I'm being tempted....

Supernova Quilt-Along with Freshly Pieced

Darn it!

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Scandi mysteries are mysteries from the authors in the Scandinavian countries. Some one started using that abbreviation in the Scandinavian mystery group.
Fossum ,Ness, Hoeg, Holt, and so on. It is never ending and very addictive. I have not read any of the very popular The Girl With the Golden Tatoo and so on.
Some are too dark for me.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (MsBooties) The quilt I've always wanted to make but haven't started yet: Shakespeare in the Park

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) Susan wrote: "The quilt I've always wanted to make but haven't started yet: Shakespeare in the Park"

Okay, fill me in...I don't know what that is....

message 12: by Judy (new)

Oh, Susan, I've always wanted to make that one, too!

message 13: by Stasha (new)

Stasha | 1 comments I would love to make a Dear Jane

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments The quilt I've always wanted to make but haven't started yet: Shakespeare in the Park

Me, too! I saw one up close in a local quilt show about seven years ago and fell in love. I've always loved any variation of the Snail's Trail (?) block....

[image error]

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments That is exquisite!

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) Shannon wrote: "The quilt I've always wanted to make but haven't started yet: Shakespeare in the Park

Me, too! I saw one up close in a local quilt show about seven years ago and fell in love. I've always love..."

Add that one to my list - it's gorgeous!

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (Lynncycle) | 27 comments I'd love to do a Baltimore Album.

Another wish is under way- a double wedding ring. But... don't hold your breathe it may be a few more years! LOL

message 18: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 21, 2011 09:10AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments anyone seen the Larkspur Farms Quilt book. I believe it is by Patchwork Place. Larkspur Farms is close to me but now closed to the public. There is a quilt in there with 4inch flowers of every type (I believe they are 4 inch). It would be easy just time consuming to find all the different flowers. I loaned my book out so I can't say more but it would be so fun. It is a very fun book.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) Elizabeth wrote: "anyone seen the Larkspur Farms Quilt book. I believe it is by Patchwork Place. Larkspur Farms is close to me but now closed to the public. There is a quilt in there with 4inch flowers of every type..."

I found it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Quilts-Larkspur.... Pam Mostek lives in Spokane WA and comes here to Wenatchee fairly often because her daughter lives her. She designs wonderful fabrics and great books.

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments If you get a chance to get it from the library or however you get your books it is a gorgeous quilting reference. Larkspur Farm. They used to do wedding and antique shows there but do not think they do anymore.

I want to make that flower quilt.!!!!!!

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Just looked up the Shakespeare in the Park Quilts sites. I was overwhelmed. They are so gorgeous.
Looks rather difficult!!

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments It is a quilt with many pieces...

I just visited Judy Martin's site. Have you been there?

http://www.judymartin.com/Viewer-Phot...

scroll down to "The Creative Pattern Book" pictures.

If you ever want to start one, let me know. We could keep each other motivated.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments It is tempting!!!!

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments I tried ordering The Creative Pattern Book from Judy Martin but it said she was not accepting orders until March 30th. It was not expensive.

Do not know if Amazon has it.

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I have it in my library. It's one of the books I've held onto over the years. It has a lot of great quilts in it!

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments P.S. If you want to borrow the book let me know. I could always mail to you. I think my copy isn't in very good shape, though.

message 27: by Judy (new)

It's only $9.95 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Patter...

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments My friend who is going to make it too ordered the book. (
Creative Pattern Book) But I think I want to have my own.

Yes it will be fun to follow each others progress.

Thanks for starting me on a new adventure.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments I just ordered the book from Amazon. Hope it does not take long.

message 30: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I may have to, also. I looked for my copy and I can't find it. I'm hoping I didn't do something with it since it was in such bad shape.

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Who had the bright idea to take out every piece of flannel I own and organize them. Now they are all over the living room couch or in the dryer.
At least they are cozy. Also somewhat out of date!!

Judy Martin wrote on book on flannels several years ago that I loved. Will have to dig it out.

Ideas?

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I've not worked with flannel much except when I've used it for a quilt back. I did make a rag quilt with a friend for my youngest son. The only other quilt I had planned was to use flannels as center squares for wonky log cabins and then set them from there.

message 33: by Kathryn (last edited Apr 07, 2011 10:16AM) (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) I'm going to order the Judy Martin book next week. I am so intrigued with the Shakespeare quilt.

Go to this website http://blueundergroundstudios.com/pat... and scroll down to the Curved Log Cabin. A customer at the shop mentioned that she took a class a few years back and how cool the quilt turned out. My shop ordered it and it came in yesterday. I REALLY want to make this one.

message 34: by Shannon (last edited Apr 07, 2011 10:57AM) (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments Wow! I love that one, too! There actually quite a few quilts pictured that intrigue me.

I'm not too into the modern quilt craze that is going on right now for a couple of philosophical reasons, but I can still appreciate and lust after some of the more geometric quilts that are popular. I would definitely make Penny Candy and Rear Window.

Thanks for the link. I have saved it!

I didn't realize I liked Blue Underground Studios. LOL I've seen Zen and Court Jester featured in magazines. I know I saved Zen to make.

message 35: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) I just got my copy of The Creative Pattern Book: Complete Patterns, Intriguing Ideas & Musings on the Creative Process in the mail today. Oh my gosh, it is wonderful. Tonight after dinner I will savor every page. Can't wait. Thank you to everyone who posts on this site for the recommendation!

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Please let me know what you think about the pattern for Shakespeare In the Park? Do you think I could use triangles instead of parallelograms. I am definitely
math challenged!

message 37: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) Elizabeth wrote: "Please let me know what you think about the pattern for Shakespeare In the Park? Do you think I could use triangles instead of parallelograms. I am definitely
math challenged!"

Look on page 87 it shows all three blocks to be made. All the blocks use squares, triangles and flying geese, I dont' see any parallelograms. This pattern looks much more difficult than in actually is. It's all in the placement of the light and dark fabrics. It tricks they eye into thinking there are shapes there that really aren't. I definitely see this quilt being made in the near future by me....

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Thanks for the advice. I too want to make this quilt.

message 39: by Judy (new)

OK. You all have convinced me I need to order this book - so I did! I've always wanted to make Shakespeare In the Park. Since I'm not making anything else, I may as well hope this one gets me off of dead stop!

message 40: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynH) Judy wrote: "OK. You all have convinced me I need to order this book - so I did! I've always wanted to make Shakespeare In the Park. Since I'm not making anything else, I may as well hope this one gets me off o..."

We could all make it at the same time!!!!! We could start a blog and work on it together or Skype and work on it or maybe not?

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan (MsBooties) Sounds like a great idea...as long as we don't have any deadline to finish...LOL

message 42: by Judy (new)

Maybe we could just have a thread here; then, as we worked on it whenever, we could post comments, questions, etc? At the rate I'm going with my quilting, I'm going to 102 before I get it started! LOL!

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments great idea!

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) I'm so excited! I've been reading about Shakespeare in the Park on a lot of blogs lately and was intrigued. While reading it on this message thread I finally looked up the book on Amazon...and realized I already own it! I inherited a significant portion of my Mom's quilting library when she passed away and this book was one of her collection. I just pulled it back off my shelf and am going to spend some time going through it again now with new eyes. I'm not sure I'll be doing the Shakespeare quilt right away (a few others on my list first), but I might be convinced otherwise once I read through the book again. In either case, I'd be following the thread with interest if you do start one.

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments I've gotten away from our group. I felt like I was dominating the conversation a bit.....

I really want to start work on this quilt and I love all the ideas mentioned.

I love to belong to groups that are chatty and supportive.

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments I might give a couple of my tops to Wrap them In Love.
I have so many and I do not love them enough to have them quilted.

And then I might feel I can start on our beloved Shakespeare in Love.

I need encouragement and support for this project.and if I hear you all are doing it I know I will attempt it.

message 47: by Judy (new)

Shannon wrote: "I've gotten away from our group. I felt like I was dominating the conversation a bit.....

I really want to start work on this quilt and I love all the ideas mentioned.

I love to belong to gr..."

Shannon, go ahead and chat. I think lots of us are better at responding than starting a new topic. I tend to go through stages.

As for SIL, Elizabeth, I'm as far as getting the book. I just haven't been in the mood to sew. I did make one block for my paper pieced quilt, but that took me over a month. To give you an idea of how out of the mood I am, one block can be done in about 30 minutes! I did start a wall hanging the other day. I figured if I made something small I'd get back in the mood. I really have had too much fun reading lately, though.

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 92 comments Actually me too with the reading addiction but I need a push because I do love my quilting. And my sewing machine is getting mad at me!

message 49: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (frecklesquilts) | 104 comments Good!

I'll start a new thread....

message 50: by Judy (new)

Shannon wrote: "Good!

I'll start a new thread...."

Cool!

« previous 1

Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Creative Pattern Book: Complete Patterns, Intriguing Ideas & Musings on the Creative Process (other topics)