Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Chit Chat > What's the last new release you read?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annika (new)

Annika Would you recommend it?

message 2: by Annika (new)

Annika B/c of my Kindle, I've been on a new releases kick lately. I just finished Swamplandia! It started strong but for me, it didn't hold my interest, so I'd say it was just okay. Now I'm reading The Discovery of Witches. I'm 36% of the way through lol:) and so far I love it!

message 3: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Well, I buy new releases, but by the time I read them they're close to being out in pb or already are.

2011, Left Neglected and Buttercream Bumpoff.

message 4: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Think last new release I got and have read was Steve Martin's. An Object of Beauty. Enjoyed it!

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Oh, Stacey, aren't we pathetic?! It happens so rarely that I'm totally proud of myself when I read a new release when it's still categorized as "new." (I wonder what the cut-off IS for "new." If two months counts, I'm in the zone right now with LEFT NEGLECTED. Just started it, but love it already so definitely recommend it so far!)

message 6: by Dannielle (new)

Dannielle Insalaco | 51 comments Annika wrote: "B/c of my Kindle, I've been on a new releases kick lately. I just finished Swamplandia! It started strong but for me, it didn't hold my interest, so I'd say it was just okay. Now I'm reading The..."

A Discovery of Witches was the last new release I would recommend...

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) Mary wrote: "Oh, Stacey, aren't we pathetic?! It happens so rarely that I'm totally proud of myself when I read a new release when it's still categorized as "new." (I wonder what the cut-off IS for "new." If..."
I'm still working on
Left Neglected, too. I wanted to begin Pictures of You which I actually bought before it was released. I downloaded Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, but I might not read it for another ten years!

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments LOL, Carol! Those were the same books I chose from too and just went ahead and picked LEFT NEGLECTED (sort of eeny, meeny, miney, moe style). I'll definitely get to PICTURES OF YOU soon, though! And Q's doing the same thing with DIAMOND RUBY and UNBROKEN. Whichever he chooses (today), he'll read the other soon, I'm sure. All these choices we have to make!

message 9: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Carol wrote: "Mary wrote: "Oh, Stacey, aren't we pathetic?! It happens so rarely that I'm totally proud of myself when I read a new release when it's still categorized as "new." (I wonder what the cut-off IS f..."

I have Pictures of You, too! We should read that for a group read. Caroline is a Goodreads author. I think we already discussed that and decided to wait.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Yes, Stacey, since Caroline is currently doing a lot of traveling to promote her book, it would probably work better to involve her after that slows down some. I don't usually participate in the group read because I have so many others that I'm eager to read, but I'd be really excited about PICTURES OF YOU as a group read. I'll bet Caroline would be thrilled, too! I don't have a clue how to orchestrate the logistics of this -- I hope someone else does!

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments I just checked Caroline Leavitt's site, and her promotional tour seems to actually be slowing down significantly. So I guess it's possible PICTURES OF YOU could potentially be our next group read! Hmmmm ...

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa That might just give me the push I need to finally buy Pictures of You. I put in a request for the library to purchase it, but that was so long ago that I don't think they ever did it.

The most recent new release I can remember reading was Unbroken. Actually, I mostly skimmed it because I was already familiar with the story.

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments I liked Discovery of Witches alot. But I found myself wanting to yell at both of the main characters too much. That being said I will still read the next two in trilogy

message 14: by Liz (last edited Mar 27, 2011 11:27PM) (new)

Liz I haven't read a new release in quite awhile it seems. But I have two of them waiting to be picked up at the library tomorrow. Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning. It's supposed to be the last one in that series; and The Union Quilters: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel by Jennifer Chiaverini. Such a good series. I'm still waiting for "Discovery of Witches".

message 15: by Tina (new)

Tina (lancejrmommy) | 59 comments Sing you home by Jodi P. Loved it

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz The Union Quilters: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel was a good one. I'm currently reading Shadowfever, but in between I read another new release called How to Bake a Perfect Life: A Novel by Barbara O'Neal. It was just a lovely book. I didn't want it to end - I really loved the characters. I would highly recommend it.

message 17: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Liz wrote: "The Union Quilters: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel was a good one. I'm currently reading Shadowfever, but in between I read another new release called [book:How to Bake a ..."

I recently bought How to Bake a Perfect Life. It looked really good and I'm going to bring it to my bookclub for a selection choice.

message 18: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) I JUST finished Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America, which is about Adam Walsh and was just released. I liked this, but as is to be expected, it is very sad--not just the crime itself, but all the blunders the police department made. So many of the mistakes they made are just inexcusable. Makes you realize how some crimes may not get solved not for lack of evidence but because of poor work on the part of the police. :[ Just prior to this, my most recent new-release read was [book:The Passage|6690798], which I absolutely LOVED and very highly recommend if you are looking for a thrilling page-turner.