The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Another new addition

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments An avid reader since childhood (which was a LONG time ago!) with mysteries one of my favorites. I started with many of the British mysteries and I still have a few Agatha Christie and Josephine Tey books on my permanent bookshelves for re-reading when the library books give out.

More in the 'thriller' category, I don't think anyone has done that better than Alastair MacLean or Desmond Bagley.

Because I have limited bookshelf space I rarely buy a book 'to keep' unless I have first read it and there are only a few authors/books/series that I will actually pre-order from Amazon to have sent as soon as a new book is published.

The 'newest' in this category is Craig Johnson, who writes a series set northern Wyoming very near where I was raised and spent much of my life. The series started with "The Cold Dish" and his characters are believable (I even recognize some of them), his knowledge of the country, the lifestyles and attitudes is accurate.

message 2: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Sharon. Isn't great when a writer can capture an area you know so well. Those books become trips home.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Yes, they are my "trip home" in fact, as I relocated to Kentucky from Montana 10 years ago and do not expect to return.

So many authors try to have their characters and setting in the West but if you have lived there for 50 years (as I did) you just find so many errors that for me, at least, I find I can't enjoy the story.

I've only found two authors that truly seem to "get" the West and it's people and attitudes in their series and both authors live there. Craig Johnson is the latest. Peter Bowen, with his Gabriel DuPre series, is the other.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee | 181 comments Welcome, Sharon!

I found Craig Johnson last year. Living in the state to the south of him, I really enjoyed his outdoor mystery series. He's coming to Denver in June, gonna try real hard to go meet him.

Have you tried C.J. Box and his Joe Pickett series? Another great Wyoming series.
If not, here is the list of the series.... http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/c...

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments I've read several of the Pickett series but for some reason (and I can't tell you for sure why) it just never quite "clicked" for me.

The same goes for Margaret Coel's Wind River reservation series. Something just doesn't quite work for me.

message 6: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Sharon. I'm sure you'll find lots of suggestions here in the group. Thanks for joining.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

C.J. Box (other topics)