The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Looking for thoughtful, quirky readers like me...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Gordon Hello! I'm Melissa, from Northern California. I'm interested in discussing classic literature, and in discovering quality modern fiction and non-fiction. I am recently back from a long hiatus from both fiction reading and writing (did a long stint reading nothing but non-fiction, science and scholarly writing, and the like,) and have since devoured every fiction book recommended to me recently, from Jane Eyre to Haruki Murakami's novels.

Right now, I've been craving smart, sexy, high quality coming of age stories, as that is what I am writing right now. Your thoughtful recommendations on this topic are more than welcome. I enjoy historical fiction, novels about anthropological/archaeological topics (Clan of the Cave Bear, etc.) and Asian /Asian-American authors. I'm not a huge sci-fi or fantasy fan, but could probably be persuaded to break in to the genre with the perfect recommendation. I avoid popular grocery store paperbacks like the plague. I like coming-of-age and adult novels, and I try and avoid war and crime stories, save for the occasional historical mystery (Sherlock Holmes-type.)

I look forward to reading your comments and interacting with you about our common and peculiar literary passions. Cheers!

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10060 comments Mod
Hi Melissa, welcome to the group! With tastes like those, you are going to find an endless list of books to add your pile of TBR's!!!

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Gordon Thank you, Lori, this site and group have been nourishing my cravings already...I can't stop perusing the lists!

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10060 comments Mod
It IS addicting!!

message 5: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna (rosannabell) | 125 comments Hi Melissa, I'm glad you joined the group! I'm also a huge fan of Asian authors. I would check out Akutagawa Ryūnosuke's short stories if you haven't already. He writes durig the modernization of Japan and many of his stories deal with the overstimulation of the modern world and the effects it has on the mind. Also, two of his short stories were the basis for Akira Kuroswawa's Rashomon. Oh, and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami is wonderful as well.
I recently read a really interesting, well written science fiction coming of age novel. I know you mentioned that science-fiction wasn't really your thing, but this book's light on the science aspect and deals more with human nature and the flaws of humanity. Well let me know if you decide to read any of the books and what you think of them.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Gordon Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! I just read Kafka on the Shore by Murakami (I'd never read anything by him before,) and absolutely loved it, I will try and find Norwegian Wood next. Gonna go to the used bookstore now and look for Akutagawa Ryūnosuke...I'm a HUGE Kurosawa fan, thanks so much for the tip! And what's the title of the sci-fi one, I'll look it up and see if I might be into it...I'm actually a fan of sci-fi movies, but never really got into reading it for some reason. Cheers!

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 358 comments Melissa, you should check out Natsuo Kirino. Her novel Real World is right up your alley, I think.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Gordon Nice! I actually have her book "Out" on my to-read list, I will definitely check out Real World, thank you :)

message 9: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna (rosannabell) | 125 comments O-zone by Paul Theroux is the sci-fi book I was telling you about. I just added Kafka on the Shore to my to-read list :) Thanks for telling me about it. The two short stories that Kurosawa draws from are In a Grove (the main source he draws from) and Rashomon, which he uses for the setting of the movie.

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 266 comments Hello Melissa: You might enjoy Simon Lazarus by M.A. Kirkwood, which is a coming of age novel set in the 1990's.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Gordon I'll check it out, thank you Brenda!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

A coming of age novel set in the 1990's? Is that right. Wow, wouldn't the person still be coming of age? :)

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Gordon I think coming of age never really stops, you just kinda come to different ages. :) I'm going to look for this one at the library tomorrow!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Real World (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Natsuo Kirino (other topics)