Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

jk hurrying through the whole book

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Grace i think that jk ran out of ideas in the middle of the book. it was like at the first she was all into the action and then at the middle it stops until u get to the very end. What do u think?

message 2: by Shree (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shree Yeah... i felt so too...
Don't mistake me.. i loved the book but i would've liked for more!! Hermione's "bag that fits anything" was one of a few things that she made up to make it convenient for them to do stuff on the run don't u think?

message 3: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meghan I thought that there was stuff happening throughout the book. I was wondering what do you mean by Hermione's "bag that fits anything?"

message 4: by Kelly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly M In the book hermione has a handbag that she put a spell on so she can carry their things on the journey. But it is a little convienent.

message 5: by Chicklet (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chicklet I disagree. I think she needed to make the reader frustrated to properly convey the frustrations of Ron, Hermione, and Harry. She was trying to show how lost they were and how fruitless their quest had become.
As for the bag, I do believe there was a mention of that spell in a previous book, though I can't recall which one. Hermione is "the smartest witch of her generation. Of course she would do spells like that. Otherwise she just wouldn't be Hermione.
If she truly ran out of ideas until the end, she would have simply rewritten the middle. She left it that way on purpose and I like it that way. I was brooding as much as they were. You're supposed to just kill you that nothing is happening, her characters felt the same way. See?

message 6: by Fabz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fabz Yes i think how the middle is less evenfull is good as it makes it more realistic! Do you really think it would be all action although there was plenty and they would find out everything in a day!

I was suprised how well everything from the series coneected together so well in the end :)

message 7: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meghan I agree with you Chicklet and Fabz. If you want to talk about H.P. more join the Harry Potter group.

message 8: by Steve (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steve I wouldnt say she was hurrying (although I am only up past Xenophilius' explanation of the Deathly Hallows). She was sure lollygaggling in the middle, with HG/HP/RW's monotonous camping trip with the locket on hand. She could have built the tension with more aggressive, perhaps even near-lethal duals between the three of them thanks to the locket (shades of Tolkien's ring, I know) instead of the teenage squabbling about boredom and "oh dear, what do we do next?" Sounds like Rowling was having difficulty here.

message 9: by Sarah Anne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah Anne Well you can't really say much Agrimorfee since you haven't finished the book. Just wait.

message 10: by 412 (new) - rated it 3 stars

412 Many of my friends felt that too. JKR rushed the last book, making a tad too many holes in the fiction. However, i'm not one of the devotees, so my opinion is neutral although skewed to the 'rushed' side.

Never liked the whole skit from the beginning anyway.

Claire Aiken I disagree. She might have felt rushed, but she has known what was going to happen for years now. Anyways, all Harry Potter fans wanted a big book, she could have summed it up easily, but everyone would have been angry if it was less than 400 pages. I don't care if it bored people. It was the last book and the more the merrier.

message 12: by Lily Anne (new)

Lily Anne Although I enjoyed the book as a whole (as I have with the previous 6), I felt that the epilogue seemed a bit too forced and cutesy. At some point, we simply have to let go of these characters and accept the fact that the series has come to an end - no need to belabor it with flash-forwards to their respective futures....

Chicklet It would drive me crazy if she hadn't covered their futures. In fact, I'd love more... But I bet she won't because she likes to write the Harry Potter books with an edge of danger. Now that the danger is over it's unlikely she will write about their ordinary lives...as unordinary as they are.

Meghan Well, actually the camping trip is in two chapters. It doesn't take up that much because, well, Ron leaves in on of those chapters and Yaxley ends up at number 12 while ron almost bleeds to death in the other. Rather eventful I'd say.

I don't think J.K. Rowling should write another book. I would read more if she wrote more, but I think leaving it with a few questions makes a good author.

Debbie how random was it that you couldnt use magic to create food. and since you could multiply food infinitely if you had it, why didnt they have miniscule portions of good stuff with them, even use a spell to miniturize a fridge.

message 16: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick i wouldn't go with hurrying but i felt dissatisfied at the end. i am not complain nor do i wish there was another book. seven books is an amazing, unprecedented feat for any author. no one author has ever given us more on one character. only for some reason that i can not explain i finished the book and i felt as if there was something missing. although i know j.k. wrapped up everything. i just can not put my finger on why i am unhappy with the last book.

Debbie maybe jk creates too ordinary and uneventful for our characters in the future?

Meghan Debbie: That would have made the whole journey piontless and it wouldn't seem as dangerous.

I also agree with Faith. There was this odd feeling when I rached the end that I was not completely ssatisfied, but I can't put my finger on what it was. Maybe it was just the fact that I wouldn't have to wait for another HP book.

message 19: by Ciara (last edited Jan 06, 2012 03:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ciara No,no,no. The book, I think, is fantastic, and J.K had to do a lot of thinking about the battle, who she was going to kill off, e.t.c. The book wasn't rushed, I know some people think it was dragged out! So no, I think this book is perfect as it is.