Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Aussie Book Database

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Owens (keikomushi) | 38 comments I wasn't sure which section to post this, but moderators should feel to move it if it is better placed in another category.

To the Australian writers out there, I am currently considering creating a submission-powered database for Aussies and Aussie ex-patriots that have written fiction or non-fiction, whatever the length. I am wondering if there is an interest first before I create the domain.
To the readers, what information is relevant to you as a consumer when looking for a book? How much information is necessary before you make that decision to buy a book?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This looks like a good spot Dianne. It is a personal project.

message 3: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I don't know what you mean by 'submission powered' Dianne?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It was aimed at writers so I ignored that bit. I don't know what it means either.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments @Gail and Mandy- I think that means..Sorta like GR..People are able to add in their own info to the website therefore it creates a big data base. Well, that's how I see it.

message 6: by Dianne (last edited Mar 04, 2011 03:05PM) (new)

Dianne Owens (keikomushi) | 38 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "This looks like a good spot Dianne. It is a personal project."

I was thinking of using Posterous, a blogging platform that you can allow submissions by checking stuff in the options. You then determine the fields, mandatory and otherwise. If you have any suggestions for these fields, be sure sure to let me know. Current thoughts are as follows:
1. Title (mandatory)
2. Author/writer/Editor (mandatory. I am hoping I can bring drop-down option before input)
3. Publisher (non-mandatory)
4. Fiction/Non-Fiction (mandatory)
5. Genre (mandatory) +2 more inputs for genres (non-mandatory)
6. Synopsis (mandatory)
7. Reviews (non-mandatory)
8. Purchase details (mandatory)

I will have to look into the Posterous group option to see how it differs from the normal blog, but I suspect it might better serve what I have planned for the site. I will post some links a bit later if anybody is interested.

message 7: by Mandapanda (last edited Mar 04, 2011 04:06PM) (new)

Mandapanda Dianne wrote: "Gail "cyborg" wrote: "This looks like a good spot Dianne. It is a personal project."

I was thinking of using Posterous, a blogging platform that you can allow submissions by checking stuff in the ..."

Sounds great Dianne. It would be a good marketing tool for local authors. Personally I like searching by genre and also by sub-genre. (i.e. romance/steampunk, or Scifi Fantasy/Scifi/Cyberpunk etc.) But there would be nothing more annoying to me than if authors didn't label correctly and put their books in several genres for wider viewing. That would turn me off the site. I also like searching under 'new releases'. I know lots of people are the same.

message 8: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Owens (keikomushi) | 38 comments How anybody can justify putting their work under so different a genre is beyond me, and tends to direct potential customers away from their product. It is one of those things that always suggests ignorance on the part of the marketer.

message 9: by Monya (new)

Monya (monyamary) Dianne wrote: "I wasn't sure which section to post this, but moderators should feel to move it if it is better placed in another category.

To the Australian writers out there, I am currently considering creati..."

Dianne - I know, being a Queensland author, that the Queensland Writers Centre has such a database for Qld writers. Perhaps it would help to contact other states' Writers Centres to see if they also have a set-up like this?

Monya(aka Mary)

message 10: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda That's an interesting website Monya!
http://www.qwc.asn.au/WritersResource...

message 11: by Monya (new)

Monya (monyamary) Mandy wrote: "That's an interesting website Monya!
http://www.qwc.asn.au/WritersResource..."

Mandy and Dianne - I know the Q.W.C. has a good website (they also do a magazine) but I think I may have made a mistake about the author database bit. It may be the Queensland State Library that keeps the database on local published writers.

Curses on growing old and the memory lapses that accompany the condition!

Monya (aka Mary)

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Lang (matthewlang) | 143 comments Hmm...interesting thread.

The only problem would be it being abused by authors, as has been already suggested, but I guess that's the risk. I think release date might be a good one to put on if people want to search by that.