Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Wars of Light & Shadow--Traitor's Knot - Ch. VII, VIII, and IX - Spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I did promise some fun!
And look out, a controversial new character...

Spoil away and let me know if we need a 'relief' topic for those who run ahead and finish the novel early.

message 2: by orannia (new)

orannia Top-line thoughts (as in those whirring around the top of my brain ATM)...

Anger at Lysaer - when will he stop being pig-headed and listen! He's so sure he is right - why can't he see the destruction those purportedly 'right' decisions lead to. Is that the Mistwraith's Curse, or is that Lysaer...reaffirming to himself that all previous decisions he has made have been right? He's deluding himself...I just wonder what he will see in the mirror when those delusions are ripped away...

On the other hand, Sulfin's true love and loyalty to Lsyaer shone through - what he (Sulfin) did, what he has embraced, to keep Lysaer safe. His (Sulfin's) slowly awakening mind (to the Paravians, and where the Fellowship and the clans fit) following his decision to save Lysaer is fascinating.

And I'm assuming the controversial character is Glendien? (Then again, Davien seems to be getting 'involved' [if one can call his meddling that] more now, and he's definitely controversial :) She redeemed herself slightly by being honest about her actions, but...I can't see her backing down but doing at it head on!

Oh, and this may be another question answered by the appendix - I can't wait to get my hands on it - but...has anyone noticed the large number of light-coloured eyes among the clans and the Fellowship, Sulfin's family, the Koriani? Dakar and Verrain have brown eyes, but other than them there is a lot of blue, green and grey. And I find it rather interesting that Elaira has grey eyes and so does Sulfin. Maybe a completely coincidence, but...grey eyes aren't common....

message 3: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Mar 05, 2011 01:31PM) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
The scene with the confrontation between Sulfin and the corrupted high council in Avenor was fantastic. I loved Sulfin's synchronous awareness of his oath-taking and the battle. I also thought the way he took down his most trusted armsmen, because they could be possessed, was simply hair-raising.

The raid on the caravan by Arithon and the clansmen was hilarious. Even though I have a solid guess, I am curious to see how exactly that white and gold cloth will be put to use...

At first, I had a tough time accepting the resolution of the confrontation between Glendien and Arithon, until I realized her father was one of the victims at Vastmark (?), so Arithon's gift of compassion explains his otherwise hard-to-believe actions. And the wedding was simply lovely - it had been a while since we'd seen Arithon sharing his music.

(Janny, the title of the topic says chapters VII, VIII and VIII - I think the last numeral should be IX.)

And - I'm caught up with the group!

message 4: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Stefan wrote: "The scene with the confrontation between Sulfin and the corrupted high council in Avenor was fantastic. I loved Sulfin's synchronous awareness of his oath-taking and the battle. I also thought th..."

Great, you are caught up!

Hah!!!! Go on and speculate as to how the white and gold cloth gets put to use, let's see if you can out guess me, but do it quick because you will find out!

And thanks on the heads up on the mis-labeling of the chapters, yes, you are correct, I will correct the heading now. Apologies for the confusion! (two major dental trips because two teeth blew up, one on the next, yech, had me a bit distracted, I should think; I was forming the topic overtop of a little tempest of a disaster, fixed now, I am pleased to say.)

On the Glendien issue, there were two things bearing, one his debt to her father, but equally, I should think, the fact the KYRIALT's life was at issue. Dignity vs the life of someone else set under compassion; and we don't know, truly, how he had PLANNED to play out the charade, if the consequences had become necessary. It's an interesting puzzle: any one care to speculate?

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments My attitude toward Glendien is totally colored by the fact that I can't stand her!

But also note all the changes in Arithon since the maze. I don't think he's going to fight physically with anyone.

Sulfin Evend has evolved into a very interesting character since his hero worship at being 'saved' from the grimward by Lysaer. When we know he was saved by Asandir. I'm trying to remember if he ever realizes this, but I don't think so. At least not yet.

Arithon and his music are always totally moving to me, and profound.

message 6: by orannia (new)

orannia My attitude toward Glendien is totally colored by the fact that I can't stand her!

YAH! (I thought it was just me :)

message 7: by Sandra (last edited Oct 12, 2011 07:48AM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments On reread #3, I am so totally more in sympathy with Lysaer. For one thing, even though his inner thoughts aren't revealed to us, they are more apparent. The scene where Sulfin tries to stop him from acting out the curse in the dungeon is totally revealing. He truly is a helpless victim of it, isn't he?

I'm also picking up more clues about Davien. He is helping, if not in the way Sethvir and Asandir would like...at least he is watching over Arithon. And in Peril's Gate when he revealed to Arithon that the uprising was his version of Haven and the outcome was as productive!

And Arithon with his new/renewed powers is absolutely amazing. I especially loved the scene when he comes to Feylind's ship and Dakar has to turn away when he is suddenly moved to tears of happiness that he's back. And what a relief when he finally uses shadow!

And my perhaps favorite scene in the series so far is when he sends the iyat into the Waystone! I love, love, love it!

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Also, Arithon feels responsible for Glendien because her father was killed at Vastmark. :'(

message 9: by Aussie500 (new)

Aussie500 | 35 comments Seems to me Arithon feels responsible for just about everyone, I always remember Elaira's words from Curse of the Mistrwaith.

"He weeps for the grass that he treads on."

But he needed the clans help and they needed him, so he would have found some way to wiggle out of it if Glendien had not told the truth. He was just trying to save Kyrialt, which in her round about way was what Glendien wanted.

And I also never really thought much of Glendien.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Aussie500 wrote: "Seems to me Arithon feels responsible for just about everyone, I always remember Elaira's words from Curse of the Mistrwaith.

"He weeps for the grass that he treads on."

But he needed the clans h..."

Well, yes. And Dakar calls him on it.

message 11: by Aussie500 (last edited Oct 14, 2011 09:52PM) (new)

Aussie500 | 35 comments Janny could you please clarify something I usually seem to get confused about when re-reading. The carven serpentine jade dais in Hanshire, it is made of serpentine jade, or serpent shaped? I usually jumped to the conclusion it was serpentine shaped and only just realised recently what serpentine was. And does the same explanation apply to serpentine vases? Thanks

message 12: by Alissa (last edited Mar 12, 2015 04:10AM) (new)

Alissa | 171 comments Aussie, now I see what you mean!! Not the connection of course, but the detail. So curious!

Also the part where the iyat invades and damages the Waystone had me think, we know the meaning of their name and the fact that they are drake spawn. How can they damage the stone and enter it unchallenged by the other trapped spirits?
As for the drakes, there are other references to their magic in further chapters, and what they may mean is most absorbing!

The scene of Sulfin Evend arresting the corrupt members of Avenor's council gave me the goosebumps, the double perspective was incredible!!!!
And at the same time we get scenes of utmost mischief with all the mayhem Arithon is seeding in Shand.

I'm totally in thrall of this book.

message 13: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Aussie500 wrote: "Janny could you please clarify something I usually seem to get confused about when re-reading. The carven serpentine jade dais in Hanshire, it is made of serpentine jade, or serpent shaped? I usual..."

The reference would be to the mineral, not the shape. Though your interpretation is certainly intriguing...