Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2011-03 THE NAME OF THE WIND: the *other* characters (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
What were your favorite and/or least favorite characters, other than Kvothe?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Auri: because she's just so random.
Elodin: because, come on, the guy's hilarious.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments I thought Auri was neat too.
But I also liked Bast. He's awesome and deserved/deserves more attention than he got. Maybe in The Wise Man's Fear.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) In general, I didn't think the secondary characters were that well developed - but there are certain types I like regardless.

That said, I liked Elodin, and the Master Artificer, though I forget his name. I also like Bast.

I disliked Deana, to be honest. I didn't see why everyone made such a fuss about her, aside from her looks, and she seemed way to high maintenance.

message 5: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

My favorites were Elodin and Bast.

Elodin delivers what has to be one of the most memorable threats I've ever read, to the burly warden in the Rookery: "If I find out that Whin has been sedated or restrained I'll ride you naked through the streets of Imre like a little pink piny."

And Bast's tirade to Chronicler in the very last chapter of the book is just excellent. I'd type out the whole thing, but it's a bit long, so here's just the last sentence: "You do not know the first note of the music that moves me."

message 6: by Morgan (last edited Mar 18, 2011 06:34AM) (new)

Morgan (tribal) | 9 comments Stefan wrote: "And Bast's tirade to Chronicler in the very last chapter of the book is just excellent. I'd type out the whole thing, but it's a bit long, so here's just the last sentence: "You do not know the first note of the music that moves me." "

I find Bast to be absolutely fascinating. As it sets, I am assuming he is a demon, since he is harmed by iron, not to mention some of his physical attributes that are touched upon, like his eyes. But he also flat out tells Chronicler: "You know there are no such things as demons...There is only my kind." Makes me wonder...

Did you notice that Bast has a strong connection to music as well? The last chapter is entitled "The Music That Plays", and as Stefan quoted, he tells the Chronicler that "You do not know the first note of the music that moves me".

It also threw me for a bit, but in Chapter 48 it talks about how Bast becomes uncomfortable with the silence. Rothfuss really pushes the fact that Bast FEARS the silence. Like men fear demons...he fears silence.

Denna I found to be a bit annoying, only because I can't pin her down, just like all of her men in the story I suppose.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I'm assuming Bast is of the Fae - or what passes as the Fae in Kvothe's world - not a demon.

message 8: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I agree that the secondary characters are less fleshed out than Kvothe, but I think this is meant to be purposeful. Because they are slightly mysterious, we're compelled to make guesses, which in turn, keeps me thinking about a book long after I'm done.

message 9: by Morgan (last edited Mar 18, 2011 09:03AM) (new)

Morgan (tribal) | 9 comments Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "I'm assuming Bast is of the Fae - or what passes as the Fae in Kvothe's world - not a demon."

Should we assume that the Skreal and the Chandrian are all Fae then? He did say demons don't exist. Or perhaps the terms are interchangeable depending on who is doing the talking, or being talked about. Or maybe they are something more sinister or powerful, like avatars of some sort? ::shrug:: should be interesting in any case, I look forward to finding out more, but I will refrain from reading the next book until it pops up in a few months here in this group ;)

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Mar 29, 2011 11:10AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I like Elodin, Bast, Fela and Auri. Sim and Wil to a lesser degree.

Strongly dislike Denna and Ambrose.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) I think Denna could have an entire book/story just for herself. I find her character...inexplicable, more than annoying. She treats men the way she does as a survival technique. It'd be cool if she got her own spinoff...or perhaps I just like difficult female characters!

I really enjoyed Elodin...so crazy-like. I wish he had been flushed out more.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I wouldn't care to read about Denna, it'd be repetitive. Meet a man, dump him when he wants sex, meet another man, dump him, and on and on. I know what drives her. She's boring in her repeat performances. I'm bored already just thinking of it.

Now Elodin, on the other hand, is so crazy that I'd find his story interesting and probably lots of fun. He is quite a character.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd love to know what drove Elodin crazy. It can't just be naming, since others know the names of things and are still normal.

Or maybe it's the number of names you know?

Hrm.

message 14: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I think the vagueness of the secondary characters is purposeful. If you were telling someone your life story, how detailed would you make your secondary characters? My life story would tell only the details that I know and both you and I would have to extrapolate from the details given.

The first time I read the book, Denna really annoyed me. I thought Kvothe was just smitten with her looks. However, listening to it the second time, I've noticed a couple of things. First, Denna survives a Chandrian attack, just as Kvothe does. Why is it that the two of them are spared from separate attacks? Second, she notices that Kvothe uses seven word sentences. Who would notice something like that and keep track of it? I think there is something very unusual in Denna's origins and I hope we find out what's going on in the next book.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Sandi wrote: "I think the vagueness of the secondary characters is purposeful. If you were telling someone your life story, how detailed would you make your secondary characters? My life story would tell only ..."

Oh, I get that. I just wouldn't mind a novel about Elodin, is all. :)

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Sandi wrote: If you were telling someone your life story, how detailed would you make your secondary characters? My life story would tell only the details that I know
That's a great observation.

I'd like to know if there's anything unusual in Denna's background and I'd like to learn of it in this series. Maybe she's stop boring me. I don't know enough about her and what I do know is negative. I'd be willing to let her change my opinion of her with more depth to her character.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Ala, I agree that Elodin's craziness isn't just about the naming. He might have been a little unstable to begin with. Whatever he is, I'd like to know his story, whether it be here in the Kingkiller series or in a book of his own.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Sandi wrote: "I think the vagueness of the secondary characters is purposeful. If you were telling someone your life story, how detailed would you make your secondary characters? My life story would tell only ..."

I think this may very well be true, but only, for me, really adds to my dislike for first-person narratives.

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikespencer) | 48 comments I can't say that I was particularly drawn to any of the secondary characters. I liked most of them in their own way...Elodin, Auri, Fela, Sim, Wil, etc...but I can't say there is one that really gets me all that excited.

Of them, I am most intrigued by Denna, but I'm not sure that means I like her the best. I just feel like there is a great backstory to her and that she'll eventually play a key part in the series.

message 20: by Helen (new)

Helen Did anyone think there was more to the two people who helped Kvothe after he was attacked in the posh end of Tarbean by the copper?

message 21: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Probably, although it hadn't crossed my mind before you said it. There is SO much going on in this book (and the next one) that's only hinted at and never fully explained.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I always wondered who they were and what that was all about. Until I kept reading, at which point i completely forgot all about it.

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen That's what I did Ala, but then on my reread it stood out again and now I keep wondering.

message 24: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments There have been alot of books starring characters like Denna. I'd be more interested in reading a book centered on the slightly crazy characters, like Elodin or Auri.

I really liked Simmons. The all around good guy, the best friend of the hero, is a character that I'm drawn to, since the "best friend" is usually a nicer, more dependable individual than the hero.

message 25: by NC (new)

NC (cyberfrenzy) | 7 comments Laurel wrote: "I agree that the secondary characters are less fleshed out than Kvothe, but I think this is meant to be purposeful. Because they are slightly mysterious, we're compelled to make guesses, which in ..."

I agree with that - especially regarding the character Denna - I think she was purposefully made this mysterious - and we don't really know her deal. I just feel that her importance in the story shadows every other character, and that makes her a key character. She is more intriguing because of how shady she is.

My favorite characters are Bast, Denna, Elodin, Auri, Devi, and - a character that everyone seems to have missed - Abenthy (he seemed more vital that just a childhood teacher - I hope he makes a comeback in The Wise Man's Fear)

I'm also interested in the mythical characters Lanre and Tehlu (who may not be that mythical I guess, esp Lanre - since he is hinted to be one of the Chandrian).

message 26: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 114 comments Devi & Elodin & Abenthy. probably Devi the most - i'm intrigued by her character & backstory.

the Chandrian are also incredibly intriguing.

i would like to know what's up with Lorren.

i found Bast to be vaguely annoying. and so far, Ambrose has been underwhelming as a villain.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ambrose isn't so much a villain as he is a nemesis.

And a douchebag.

message 28: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 819 comments I can't help but like Sovoy.

message 29: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 114 comments Ala wrote: "Ambrose isn't so much a villain as he is a nemesis.
And a douchebag."

well he's both of those, certainly. and he's nothing compared to the Chandrian. but right now at least i consider him to be the closest thing to an actual villain, in the first book. not only is he an antagonist to the protagonist, and although that doesn't automatically make that kind of character a villain, he also acts villainously, has villainous motives, and exists in the narrative solely to provide an early enemy to kvothe.

message 30: by Helen (new)

Helen He's an evil git! Can't wait to start discussing the next book, come on May.

message 31: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

The thing about Ambrose that only struck me when I reread the book is a throwaway line early on, when Kvothe's friends mention that Ambrose is 16th in line for the throne, or something to that effect. Put that together with the title of the entire trilogy, and it looks like it might all be building up to something big towards the end...

message 32: by NC (new)

NC (cyberfrenzy) | 7 comments Stefan wrote: "The thing about Ambrose that only struck me when I reread the book is a throwaway line early on, when Kvothe's friends mention that Ambrose is 16th in line for the throne, or something to that effe..."

You don't suppose he's a forthcoming king do you? Makes sense I guess

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

My first thought was that, with Kvothes luck, he'd end up killing the actual king and heirs. Paving the way for Ambrose to inherit the throne, which ends up being one of the reasons he's gone into hiding.

message 34: by Helen (new)

Helen I thought he could be the king but I do like the idea of Kvothe paving the way for him to be king.

message 35: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

If I recall correctly, Ambrose's father would be in line for the throne before Ambrose himself. So maybe Kvothe kills Ambrose's father?

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments I like this idea, and it makes a ton of sense - but something would have to happen to over a dozen people for Ambrose to be warming the throne. We know times are bad and that there's a war on, but not why, or who is on the throne.

I seem to vaguely recall something that might be on point, but I can't remember if it's from the first or second book, so I'm putting it behind a spoiler tag. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Helen (new)

Helen isn't the war due to the death of the king? Did I read that or just think it?

message 38: by NC (new)

NC (cyberfrenzy) | 7 comments Helen wrote: "isn't the war due to the death of the king? Did I read that or just think it?"

I seem to recall reading that as well, I guess