Always Coming Home discussion

What Else Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mir (last edited Mar 03, 2011 08:57AM) (new)

Mir | 31 comments I'm just finishing up Herland. My copy of ACH has arrived at the library, I just need to pick it up, which will happen either tomorrow or Monday. Unless it rains heavily, in which case I will skip the 2 hours in the car and help my mother with her computer some other weekend.

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 42 comments I want to read The Duke The Pirate Queen. It was this guy's review that convinced me. He also wrote a great review of a Christian self-help book. The dude loves Jesus and hot pirate sex. Nothing wrong with that.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherri wrote: "I'm two chapters in to Decoding Gender and...wow! UKL wrote a glowing blurb for the book and she's already mentioned several times. I'm looking forward to the chapter on androgyny."

This looks pretty amazing. (You can add these books to the group shelf too, if you like.)

I read Meditations on Middle Earth: New Writing on the Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien by Orson Scott Card, Ursula K. Le Guin, Raymond E. Feist, Terry Pratchett, Charles de Lint, George R. R. Martin, and more partially because of UKL's contribution, and it was a good one. About metrics, which is an interesting way to go at prose.

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana | 144 comments Mod
I wish I could learn to use libraries again. When I was a kid my family went every Sunday to the library and stopped on the way home and got an ice cream cone. I'd check out a big stack each time we went. But when my son and I go, he only gets vids, and I usually get 2 or 3 books I don't read, then later we forget or lose them and have to pay fines. When I was at university we had such a lovely library and I went all the time to find books to read when I was supposed to be studying, hah. They had all the wonderful Russians shelved together (LoC system) and I devoured that whole shelf. My home library was Dewey Decimal, and I liked the shelves where all the math and physics people lived. At school I was studying that stuff so preferred to read novels for fun. Now my local library only tries to have books people want to check out a lot, which means nothing I'm terribly interested in. So I end up buying most of the books I want to read. Hence, the problem of not enough shelves.

I've read that collection about Middle Earth, but from the library, so I wish I had it here to read again. I remember liking UKL's piece, but remember nothing at all about what she said. What was her piece about, again?

Have you guys read that book by the Russian guy which tells part of the story of the War of the Ring from the Orcs' viewpoint? http://www.sendspace.com/file/a75r7u There's a link to an English translation. I started it, but I'm hesitant to read it through, for a silly reason, I guess. LotR is sort of like sacred scripture to me, and I'm not sure I want these images and ideas which would desacralize it in my mind, or something. That idea does seem really lame now that I express it in words. I watched the movies, after all. (What did you guys think about the movies?)

Anyway, such is the hunger that I feel for any stories set in Middle Earth that I'll likely read it. Hopefully it will give the original stories even more depth and realism for me. I don't know. If you read it, let me know what you think about it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2011 07:40PM) (new)

UKL's essay uses the tools of prosody and metrics to analyze a sequence from LotR, specifically the Barrow Downs part, right before the hobbits meet Tom Bombadil. She also talks a lot about the vacillation of light/dark metaphors, time, and directional metaphors. <3 her.

Terence, who is a totally solid reviewer, is currently reading The Last Ringbearer, and I am eagerly awaiting his review. I probably won't be getting to the book anytime soon, because it's a door-stopper, and I would have to read it on my phone, which is less than ideal. (It's only available free on ebook.)

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 6: by Terence (new)

Terence (spocksbro) Ceridwen wrote: "Terence, who is a totally solid reviewer..."

Pressure, pressure, pressure!!!!!!!

I finished The Last Ringbearer last night at work (please don't tell the bosses) and I hope to have the review out by Sunday (Tolkien tends to get my writing juices flowing). Actually, I had planned on rereading UKL's "From Elfland to Poughkeepsie" (in The Languages of the Night) but thanks for reminding me of "The Staring Eye." I'll reread that too.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Heh. No pressure. I'm just over here hanging out and not staring at you at all.

*whistling*

message 8: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana | 144 comments Mod
*Reads furiously* *doesn't look either*

message 9: by Mir (new)

Mir | 31 comments I just had tagalongs and coffee for breakfast.