Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Page-to-screen > The Book Thief, is it possible?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★ Jess (last edited Mar 03, 2012 04:22PM) (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
EDIT: It has been announced that there is officially going to be a movie, with Brian Percival from Downtown Abbey directing.

All popular books get turned into a movie at some time or another.
Would you like to see someone have a crack at putting this book to the big screen? If you were directing, how would you make it? How would you include Death's voice? Who would you cast?
Is it a good idea to film this?
Discuss here!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I don't think there should be a movie, because so much of this book is dependent on the language that Death uses, and unless there were constant narration, which wouldn't be good, that would be lost.

The other thing is that if they messed up even one little thing, it would have serious repercussions throughout the whole movie, since everything is related. It would be so easy to mess it up and tarnish the wonderful image of the Book Thief.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (katashtrophes) | 27 comments It would be interesting to see it as a movie. I imagine Death's voice to be a charming, sophisticated voice, but not too deep.

In my head, Death would narrate the scene where Liesel's brother died, but after that the movie will flow by itself, with a few commentaries and narration from him. Maybe he could introduce the audience to the Hubermanns and Rudy and the supporting casts at first, but only just.

It would be difficult to really grasp the wonderful story and morals of the book, though. Death's narration was personal and witty, and putting that on screen would be a serious challenge. But, like I said, it would be interesting to see the adaptation, and the characters and setting coming to life.

message 4: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments It would be hard to make this a movie- and very easy to mess up. If it's made into a movie, I'd think we would have to wait many years until technology is advanced enough to make this work the way it should...

message 5: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 383 comments I'm thinking a traditional 2D animated film directed by Sylvian Chomet, with minimal dialogue (like all of her movies), but with an almost constant narration, as read by Nick Cave.

Buut then again, I haven't read the book (or even know what it's about), soooo, nevermind.

message 6: by ★ Jess (new)

haha Baxter :) For the record, Nick Cave is amazing.

This would certainly be almost impossible to make into a movie, as, like Kate said, the story depends on Death's use of language.

I was actually brainstorming some ideas for a movie last night, so when I get back from school I'll post.
BUT I think Adrien Brody would make a decent Max.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments I mean, I think that if they got it perfectly, it could be an amazing movie, but it would only take one tiny mistake to turn it into a disaster.

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 1115 comments I agree with Kate. If they executed it perfectly I would love it but if they messed up even a little bit I would probably go on a rant. (I do that with a lot of movies that were books.)

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I'm not finished it, i'm not even that far into it, but i already dont think there should be a film. Some books are just better left as books and this is one of them. I think deaths voice adds to the story, and that would be lost in the film, i just dont think they would get it right =/

message 10: by Miss Ryoko (new)

Miss Ryoko (missryoko) | 349 comments I LOVE Adrien Brody! And of course he could play Max...being his father is Jewish and some of his actual family were unfortunately non-survivors of the Holocaust :-( But Adrien Brody definitely looks Jewish. He could work it!

If they do make a film, I wonder if they'll cast a bunch of English actors to play the Germans... like they did with The Boy in the Striped Pajamas...

Though, I disagree. I think like all books made into movies, the movie version has the potential to be incredibly powerful. And I actually don't think it'd take much to mess it up unless of course they got some horrible actors like *cough KRISTEN STEWART AND ROB PATTINSON cough* to play main characters. I think it'd be a decent movie.

message 11: by ★ Jess (new)

Done well, it could definitely be powerful. As long as they dont have english accents (Like Valkeryie? Anyone seen it? All the germans had english/irish/american accents.)
But im glad you like Adrien Brody as Max. He could certainly pull it off in every way.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments The thing about them having English accents, though, is that they'd be speaking in English but pretending to be speaking in German. If they had a German accent, that would actually be less realistic, because it would be hard to understand them in their native language.

Valkyrie was a very strange combination, because some did German accents, some didn't hide their natural ones, and I swear some of them had French or something going on.

message 13: by Naomi (new)

Naomi  (purplebookdragon) i think if they made it into a movie they would ruin it completely. what made the book so special and amazing was the way it was written. you cant interpret the writing into a movie, it just wouldn't work.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments Well, it is now official that there is going to be a movie. What do you guys think? Who would you cast? What scenes might you cut (if any)? What scenes might you add (if any)? What do you think about the director, an unknown? Can he pull it off? Can anyone?

message 15: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments Reading the above comments, I do have to agree with a few things:

-Nick Cave narrating as death. Yes. Perfect.
-Animated? I wouldn't mind. Kind of a darker animated film would be fantastic. It might fit the tone and content better. What I like about The Book Thief is that it dealt with a very sad and horrible time period and the events are accurate but there was a kind of sweetness behind it. The animated scenery might work.
-If this movie is going to be made, they must get the voice right. I could imagine an almost silent film except for Death's narration.
-There is no doubt that Death would have to be narrating the film. That voice cannot be lost.

message 16: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Great points, GCI can definitely agree with most of those-- not sure who Nick Cave is though, so I don't know if I'm with ya there.

message 17: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments Nick Cave is the front man of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (they did the song that Hermione and Harry dance to in Deathly Hallows Part 1).

message 18: by ★ Jess (new)

Nick Cave, yes! I can see that, I suppose.
I dont think it should be entirely animated, except for perhaps a few scenes that involve Death on screen.

message 19: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments I don't know. I think animated would fit it perfectly.

But who should play Leisel? I'm pulling for Saorise Ronan, but I think she might be too old now.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments For the animated, I could see a "Tale of Three Brothers" type of animation where Death is involved...while still narrated by Death. But I'm not sure I would animate the whole movie.

message 21: by ★ Jess (new)

That is exactly what I was thinking Kate! "Tale of Three Brothers" style for Death, mixed in a with a live action shot of snow covered Germany.

message 22: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) ★ Jess wrote: "All popular books get turned into a movie at some time or another.
Would you like to see someone have a crack at putting this book to the big screen? If you were directing, how would you make it?..."

Nope, I don't think they could get everything in there and get it right. I wouldn't try because I wouldn't want to mess it up. Now that there is one I don't think I will watch it if they didn't get it right just because I can't stand watching movies that were adapted from books that don't follow the storyline. I say good luck to whoever is giving it a shot and hopefully they will get it right :)

message 23: by £mily (new)

£mily (3mily991) | 1107 comments The Book Thief is such a powerful and moving book, and so it would have to be such a beautiful movie. They definatly would be Absoloutely CRAZY to cut Death's narration. That was the best part of the book for me, it was just so matter of fact and...... Words fail me trying to describe it.
Guitar Chick, I though Saiorse Ronan for Leisel too, but she's a bit old for a 10-14 year old girl.
Here's a article about it
http://screenrant.com/brian-percival-...
And a fan made trailer. Watch it, I think it's quite good.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_ur...

message 24: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Welsh (katrinawelsh_) NO. NO. NO. This is my all time favourite book and I've always wished that it wouldn't get turned into a movie. The book was amazing not just because of its captivating story, but also because it was a book about words and it's power. I don't think they'll be able to translate the book's true meaning onto the screen and it would just end up being a massive flop.

But since it has already been decided that they're making it into a movie, then Death's voice would have to be imminent throughout the movie and that's a hard enough job. They have to get every single casting right, especially Rudy Steiner. Are they going to follow the events as they were told in the book, or are they actually going to go for a chronological sequence of events? I think if they do it chronologically, the audience wouldn't be able to connect with the characters, Rudy especially, as powerful if they did it like the book. But if they did, it might be a bit hard for the audience to follow. The atmosphere has to be dark and gloomy and real, without the Hollywood feel to it. I can't even imagine which scenes they'll end up cutting out. Every scene, every event seems important to the story.

message 25: by literariel (new)

literariel I liked the book and I Am the Messenger, too. But, I don't really see why they would want to make a movie out of the book; only if they wanted to see if they could.

message 26: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Katrina wrote: "NO. NO. NO. This is my all time favourite book and I've always wished that it wouldn't get turned into a movie. The book was amazing not just because of its captivating story, but also because it w..."

Excatly, I most likely will not be watching it.

message 27: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid How would they do Death? I'm not sure how you'd do that without doing voice-overs and, well, voice-overs seem kind of lame. It's like taking the easy way out.

message 28: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Way-chan (Aspiring Author) wrote: "How would they do Death? I'm not sure how you'd do that without doing voice-overs and, well, voice-overs seem kind of lame. It's like taking the easy way out."

Maybe they could do it in a good way, sorta like a narrated movie but much much better?

message 29: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 315 comments I've actually thought about this a little bit, and I can definitely see narration bits from death, but he would be in all the scenes even if the camera only pans to him for a few seconds, or even just have him leaning against a wall or something. One of the points in the Book Thief is that Death is always there, always following you. So even if he has no dialouge, he could just be in the background of scenes.

It's creepy, but I like the thought.

message 30: by Zetaprin (new)

Zetaprin (zetathepotterhead) | 12 comments haven't read the book yet, but I cried a lot with the movie, I wish the book is as good as the movie.

message 31: by olga (new)

olga The book is amazing. Hope you read it soon! :)