Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > The Forbidden Game series by L.J. Smith

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:39PM) (new)

The Forbidden Game (The Hunter; The Chase; The Kill) by L.J. Smith
I was wondering if anyone else has read the trilogy? What are your thoughts on it?
It's one one of the best books I've read in awhile.
L.J. Smith has posted on her blog that she is currently writing the sequel to this!

message 2: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I read them, they were pretty good. I like LJ Smith.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I loved it! No one ever seems to talk about this trilogy and it is so different and kept me glued to the books. It is my very favorite LJ Smith book of all. (since it is in one book I think of it that way).

message 4: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) My copy is all in one too. When I was a kid I had the three books broken up though.

My favorite LJ Smith is Secret Circle.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments You know, I just tried to really like Secret Circle but it didn't do anything for me. I've read all of her books and like it the least (well, except maybe for the last VD books). There was just too much teen girl goofy stuff for me, didn't care for the romance - or lack of it. Admittedly I am far past being a teen but I love a lot of YA books so I consider myself young at heart!

message 6: by Wendy F (last edited Mar 03, 2011 12:40PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I read them all for the first time as a young teen girl, lol. So maybe that's why it didn't bug me. I also didn't think it had any more or less then Vampire Diaries did, or Twilight for that matter.

Actually, my favorite aspect of the Secret Circle was how realistic the ceremonies and spell casting was, with the use of the stones, candles, knife and such. It's essentially the same as what is done in a Wiccan ceremony.

Also, I loved the array of characters. I felt like they each had very unique personalities and were well rounded. I loved The Henderson twins and Nick especially. (I hoped for Cassie and Nick the whole time.) I felt like the characters really did embody the 'element strength' they had.

I've read Secret Circle, Vamp Diaries (not the new ones), Forbidden Game and Dark Visions. Of those, Forbidden Game was my least favorite. I only read it once though, when I was really young, so maybe I'd feel different now.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Have you read the Night World books? I rather liked them as an easy and fun read with each of them being a fairly short story about a different couple.

message 8: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I haven't actually read the Night World books. I've looked at them; I feel like I should read them since I've read all the others. But for some reason I just can't bring myself to read them. I think it has to do with them being short and me worrying that the stories will feel forced.

I've heard they're really good though.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I liked them a lot and my granddaughter loved them so they crossed a couple of generations. LOL

message 10: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'll have to grab them for my Kindle. They are each about a new character, right?

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Yes, they are. In the Night World it is forbidden for a member of the night world (vampires, werewolves, other shapeshifters, witches etc) to fall in love with a human. The penalty is death. There is a soulmate theme through pretty much each story. There are also entities that are reincarnated over and over again in a few of the stories. These couples are all connected only because they are all part of the Night world, but each story is different. Sometimes a character from one story is mentioned but they are stand alones. They aren't real short stories and develop pretty well. It's been about a year since I read them and I will read them again some time.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2011 04:46PM) (new)

The Forbidden Game is my favorite out of all her other works. I can't figure out why these books seem to be the least popular, either.
The Secret Circle, Vampire Diaries, and Night World just can't compare (for me), because I still haven't read anything quite like the Forbidden Game trilogy.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Actually the Forbidden Game trilogy is not like anything I have read by any author - it is really different and kept me guessing all the way through where it was going - which is kind of nice for a change.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2011 06:37PM) (new)

It is!
There are a lot books where the ending is predictable within the first chapter. This trilogy wasn't one of those.