Babblers Who Read discussion

General Notification

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 5 comments Hello, Babbler buddies! This discussion group has fallen by the wayside, but I just wanted to let you all know that I've switched over my account to a "Goodreads Author" account, which necessitated changing from my Babble name (Vicuna) to my real name (Anne Nydam.) But it's still me! Also, I don't think too many of you are into juvenile picture books and fantasy, but if you are and you want to check out my books, you now can!

message 2: by Lbd (new)

Lbd | 13 comments There are a lot of goodreads in the children's section,e.g. Brandon Mull, Rick Riordan, Ted Bell, and now I can start looking for you! I keep up in this genre with the excuse of previewing for my grandkids...I really do like a lot of the stories I've read from the kids section. Afterall, look at JK Rowlings notoriety!

message 3: by Neil (new)

Neil (negativeneil) | 1 comments Hi everyone. I'm just curious to know if anyone still visits this group? No one's posted any comments in it since last year. It would be interesting to see some activity here... and hear about the books some of you are reading and enjoying, and why? Thanks.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne Nydam | 5 comments Well...
Current read-aloud with the children is Tuesdays at the Castle
Current reading for myself is The Cabinet of Wonders
Yep, they're both juvenile fantasy. I could claim I read them for professional reasons (for my blog and to keep up in my industry or something) but really it's the other way around. I just like it, and that's why I blog and write in that genre.
In answer to Lbd's year-old message (not exactly a prompt response, I guess!) I absolutely agree that lots of good stuff being marketed to children is every bit as well-written and compelling as anything being written for adults.

message 5: by Suzanne (last edited Mar 08, 2012 06:42PM) (new)

Suzanne Willis | 1 comments I've been reading Primary Colors: A Novel of Politics - not too far into it yet but enjoying it. Not a new book but relevant once again as election season is upon us.

Note: I am uusue2 on Babble.

I am planning to do a lot more reading after I retire!!

message 6: by Eva (new)

Eva (merp) | 4 comments Neil wrote: "Hi everyone. I'm just curious to know if anyone still visits this group? No one's posted any comments in it since last year. It would be interesting to see some activity here... and hear about the ..."
I did read your two latest reviews Neil. But haven't had anything to recommend recently.
Eva

message 7: by Jayk (new)

Jayk | 3 comments Hi Neil and Eva and uusue2! I just happened back again and saw you guys. I'm reading--God help me--Thomas Friedman and quite liking it. (That Used to Be Us).

jayk from babble

message 8: by Eva (new)

Eva (merp) | 4 comments Haven't read anything by him in ages-since Wounded Spirits in the Promised Land. He can be quite brilliant. Is the book uplifting at all, or more a report for disaster?

message 9: by MaryGeorge (new)

MaryGeorge Whitney | 2 comments I am currently finishing off the Mallorean series by David & Leigh Eddings. It had been years since I read it. I still love the series.

message 10: by Jayk (new)

Jayk | 3 comments well, i wouldn't go so far as uplifting, but there's a lot of very interesting (if depressing) information on where we went wrong and why.

message 11: by Eva (new)

Eva (merp) | 4 comments That's what I feared. I'm tending, these days, to only want to read about messes if there is also some insight into ways of alleviating the suffering and madness-not instant cures, but some vision.

message 12: by Jayk (new)

Jayk | 3 comments you know what you might like, then? Ron Suskind's The Way of the World. which seems depressing at first but then becomes very very hopeful. A most intriguing take on where we are in this world.

message 13: by Eva (new)

Eva (merp) | 4 comments Thank you Jay. I'll look for it.

message 14: by Paul (last edited Nov 09, 2015 09:57AM) (new)

Paul | 1 comments I have been away from Goodreads for a while now, and I have forgotten what a wonderful resource it is when it comes to selecting my next read!! I also enjoy entering the contests for a chance to win free, signed editions from new authors. I will make more of an effort in the future to check into Goodreads on a regular basis, and I hope my babble buddies will do likewise.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 1 comments hi crossy. I have been away for a while too. I also love the giveaways. not entered any for a while now though as waiting for a move. will start looking at them again once I have moved though.