Jonathan Maberry discussion

General Discussion > Name Game

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micheal (new)

Micheal Shea | 106 comments Mod
While reading Ghost Road Blues I noticed some first names that were also used in other Jonathan Maberry books. I thought trying to name them would be a fun game for everyone to play.

message 2: by Micheal (new)

So here is an example

Jerry Spencer -- Patient Zero

Jerry Head -- Ghost Road Blues

message 3: by Micheal (new)

Ben Talbot -- The Wolfman

Ben Imura -- Rot & Ruin

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Ben from Rot & Ruin is a nod to 'Ben' from NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

Ben in the Wolfman is a name chosen by David Self, the screenwriter who wrote the original script.

As for Jerry Spencer and Jerry Head... every guy I've ever known named Jerry was smart and reliable. So I guess I grab that name for a character who embodies those qualities.

message 5: by Micheal (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Ben from Rot & Ruin is a nod to 'Ben' from NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

Ben in the Wolfman is a name chosen by David Self, the screenwriter who wrote the original script.

As for Jerry Spencer an..."

Nice. I thought maybe it was kind of like how Stan Lee used the same first letter for the first and last name of some of his characters.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments There are also a lot of real world folks who show up in my books. All friends, of course.

There are frequent quest appearances by members of the Liars Club (my group of writer colleagues): L A Banks, Gregory Frost, Ed Pettit, Don Lafferty, Dennis Tafoya, Jon McGoran, Marie Lamba, Solomon Jones, Merrie Jones, Kelly Simmons, Keith Strunk, and Keith DeCandido. Some of them show up in The Wolfman, Joe Ledger, Rot & Ruin, etc.

My webguy Geoff Strauss and my former nonfic co-author David Kramer make cameos, too.

And in Bad Moon Rising there are a bunch of horror-industry chums: Tom Savini, Ken Foree, Brinke Stevens, Debbie Rochon, James Gunn, Stephen Susco, and Joe Bob Briggs.

message 7: by Micheal (new)

I thought it was funny in Rot & Ruin when it mentions Church and Captain Ledger.

message 8: by Micheal (new)

Jonathan wrote: "There are also a lot of real world folks who show up in my books. All friends, of course.

There are frequent quest appearances by members of the Liars Club (my group of writer colleagues): L ..."

I met James Gunn at Tromadance. He was nice.

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Yeah...

And, of course, in the short story 'Material Witness', Joe Ledger goes to Pine Deep and meets Crow and Mike. Not recommended if you haven't finished the Pine Deep Trilogy. Spoilers.

message 10: by Micheal (new)

Yeah, I read it before I started Ghost Road Blues. I think I will reread it after Bad Moon Rising.

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Jim is a total (but loveable) nutbag. One of my favorite people. And his script for the new version of DAWN OF THE DEAD kicked total ass.

message 12: by Micheal (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Jim is a total (but loveable) nutbag. One of my favorite people. And his script for the new version of DAWN OF THE DEAD kicked total ass."

I didn't really know who he was at the time. I had just read All I Need To Know About Film Making I Learned From the Toxic Avenger and I heard Troma was having a film festival so I went. Lloyd Kaufman signed my book.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Lloyd's another wild and crazy guy. We did a couple of panels together at Dragon*Con in Atlanta last year. Hilarious guy.

message 14: by Micheal (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Lloyd's another wild and crazy guy. We did a couple of panels together at Dragon*Con in Atlanta last year. Hilarious guy."

Yeah I have met him three times. He is great.

message 15: by Micheal (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Jim is a total (but loveable) nutbag. One of my favorite people. And his script for the new version of DAWN OF THE DEAD kicked total ass."

SLITHER kicks a lot of ass. I need to dig it out of a box and watch it again.

message 16: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Good call. Great flick.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Jonathan wrote: "Ben from Rot & Ruin is a nod to 'Ben' from NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

As for Jerry Spencer an..."

Aha! I thought NOTLD might have been the basis for that Ben :)

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I think Savini and the rest being in Pine Deep made it that much more epic at the end and in a way that really worked!

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 44 comments Thanks. It was fun to work them into the story, and to capture their personalities. Nice folks, too.

message 20: by Oglaigh na (new)

Oglaigh na  hEireann | 12 comments wait are we talkin like Iron Mike Sweeny and Iron Mike Tyson ,...wait one is a savior and the other is an introverted ex boxer thats broke with bad ink

message 21: by Micheal (new)

Oglaigh na wrote: "wait are we talkin like Iron Mike Sweeny and Iron Mike Tyson ,...wait one is a savior and the other is an introverted ex boxer thats broke with bad ink"

Sure, there is no rules here. My original thought was reoccurring names but it became derailed somewhere.

message 22: by Micheal (new)

Has anyone read James Gunn's Toy Collector?