Nicholas Sparks Novels discussion

The Books > At First Sight

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashlee (last edited Mar 02, 2011 09:23AM) (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 46 comments I didn't see a topic for this book, so I figured I'd add one and we can discuss it here. I personally thought the book started off slow, and it stayed slow. Which was unfortunate because his other books (for me, anyways) may start slow but usually gain more. It wasn't until after I finished the book that I was able to say "Oh, well that was a good book" but during the reading when people asked me what I thought, I just said "Eh, it's slow right now"

What did everyone else think? at the end of the book my heart was broken, and that was the only time during my reading of the book where I couldn't put it down, I guess it was just a shame that I only felt like that at the end. :/

message 2: by Alese (new)

Alese (ireadtoescapereality) | 51 comments It wasn't slow for me, but I was heartbroken at the end..

message 3: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 46 comments Well, I think I figured out why it was slow for me. Apparently the book "True Believer" came before "At First Sight" I had NO idea that they were connected, and that AFS was the sequel book, so maybe because I didn't read "True Believer" first, it wound up being slow for me. Nicholas Sparks doesn't usually do sequel books so I never thought to look for it, and it didn't say anything on the cover about it being the second book.

message 4: by Alese (new)

Alese (ireadtoescapereality) | 51 comments I read "At first Sight" first. I love tls. My favorite book by by him..

message 5: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 46 comments Yea, I'll need to read "True Believer" now just so I understand everything better, lol. I do like that I couldn't even tell that it was a sequel book, that just proves that he writes books so well that if you miss one book in a series you can't even tell, because he provides all the details. TLS- The Last Song? if so, that's my faovirte book by him too, I read it last Summer and I really miss the characters.

message 6: by Alese (new)

Alese (ireadtoescapereality) | 51 comments yes tls is the last song... I really enjoyed seeing ronnie mature.. and I don't like the fact in every book, a character dies.

message 7: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 46 comments Yea, either do I....but I mean we can't have it all, lol. I notice that in every single one of his books theres either a past tragedy, a current tragedy, or a tragedy in the end. It's sad, but at the same time he always finds a way to inspire the reader from those tragedies. Like, have you read the Rescue? if you haven't I won't add any spoilers, but the ending really comes together after a tragedy. I loved the Last Song because I read it around Summer time, and thats where the book took place, in the Summer in North Carolina- I felt like I could relate to the characters, because they were all younger, you know? I'm 19 but I was 18 when I read TLS, and Ronnie was 17 turning 18 in the book. I love all his books, but I found that I really love reading his younger love stories, they always wind up being my favorite. Books like The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, The Last Song, & Dear John.

message 8: by Alese (new)

Alese (ireadtoescapereality) | 51 comments have you read "Message In a Bottle"?

message 9: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee (ashlee_) | 46 comments Yep, I just read that a few months ago. I actually had a free day ahead of me so I sat down and finished it in one day. I really liked it.

Rachel (Smelleykins) (smelleykins) I read this book whilst on holiday last week. I'd previously read 'True Believer' so knew this was the sequel. However, I didn't like this book what-so-ever. It's good but there really wasn't any point in extending true believer. It finished pretty good in my opinion. The story just seemed to be written for the sake of doing so. It wasn't a fave of mine at all. x

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan I loved At First Sight so much! I just finished it last night, and I was heartbroken at the end. I just didn't see it coming at all. Talk about a major plot twist. But that last page? That last line? It just about killed me. So touching.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 90 comments I thought that book was ok