Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > Do you enjoy the Bonus Features on DVDs?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 02, 2011 04:58AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Do you enjoy the Bonus Features on DVDs? If so, what are they?

Sometimes I find interesting things in the bonus features of DVDs. For example, the commentaries of the directors, writers, or actors sometimes reveal some interesting behind-the-scenes info.

Also, as I wrote in our 2010 movie thread:
========================================================
"I found a big surprise among the bonus features [of the Netflix DVD of "Grand Hotel" (1932)]. It's an amusing spoof of the actual film, but is much shorter in length. Unknown actors play the parts of the stars in the original film. They ham it up uproariously. The dialogue is very witty and had me chuckling. The title of the spoof is something like "Nothing Ever Happens", an ironic statement about life in the hotel. If you rent this DVD, don't miss this bonus feature!"
=========================================================

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Sometimes I do. If it's an actor I'm particularly interested in, such as Gerard Butler's interviews in Beowulf & Grendel and 300. I'm not interested in directors and cannot tell you the director's name in any film other than the LOTR series and only because it was such a big deal and on everyone's lips at the time.
At first, we watched it for the deleted scenes but came to the conclusion there was a good reason for the deletions.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6330 comments I'll watch them rarely. Generally by the time I've watched a 1.5 - 2 hr movie, I don't want anything more to do with it for a long time. Only a few super favorites that I've watched at least several times might have additional content that interests me; "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", the Firefly series, "Young Frankenstein", & maybe some of Bruce Campbell's stuff. That's about it, though.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Yes, I usually skip the deleted scenes.

Yes, it IS a long time to spend re-watching a movie for the commentary. So sometimes I play the commentary at nap time. Either I get to hear it or I get to sleep. :)

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (goodreadscomlinda_p) | 1250 comments Sometimes I do. If the movie has a lot of special effects I like to learn what was done to accomplish this task.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Joy wrote: sometimes I play the commentary at nap time. Either I get to hear it or I get to sleep. :)
That's good to know. LOL

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Linda: I too enjoy learning about the behind the scenes activities.

Jackie: Yes, it's a good way to get to sleep! :)